Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 14:01   #1

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42
Nav program running on Win11

I apologize if this thread is not exactly the place to be asking a question.

I have a nav program running on Win10 and is not upgradable to Win11 automatically according to Microsoft compatibility.
If I buy a new Win11, will the Win11 OS be able to work and will it work at all with my navigation?
Or will I have to buy another computer, lol.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 16:21   #2

Re: Nav program running on Win11

Without knowing what program you are referring to or anything about your system, I suspect that will be a difficult question to answer. Perhaps ask the developer of the mystery software?
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 16:38   #3

The Nav program is the CAPN voyager, and the system is Windows 10 Home.
When I wanted to upgrade, MS says it (my OS) isn't able to run Windows11, so I was wondering if I bought Win11 Home OS, Could I run my nav program?
Old 10-04-2022, 16:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I apologize if this thread is not exactly the place to be asking a question.

I have a nav program running on Win10 and is not upgradable to Win11 automatically according to Microsoft compatibility.
If I buy a new Win11, will the Win11 OS be able to work and will it work at all with my navigation?
Or will I have to buy another computer, lol.
You appear to be confusing the Operating System (WIndows 10/WInodws 11) with application software.

It is the computer's operating system that is not upgradable automatically from Win10 to Win11. Nothing to do with your navigation application. Microsoft have set minimum hardware requirements to instal WIndows 11 on a computer(basically you need specific security hardware components).

Apparently your computer does not meet those requirements, so buying a copy of WIndows 11 to instal yourself won't work.
(unless you are more computer savvy that your questions indicate. There are tehcnnical ways to get around it and run Windows11 on older hardware)

That said, there is no logical reason why any software than runs on Win10 will not run on Win11.

But more importantly, wy do you want to upgrade to Windows 11. If everything is working fine on WIN10, there is NO point in trying to upgrade. There's general agreement in the business that every second version of WIndows is rubbish. That has applied all of this Century;
Win 2000 - Good
Win ME - Cr*p
XP - Good
Vista -Cr*p
Win 7 - Good
Win 8 - Cr*p
WIn 10 - Good
Win 11 - ????...

FWIW, I develop Windows software for a living and have no intention of upgrading my main working environment from WIn10 to Win 11 in the near future.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 18:31   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Couple of thoughts.

First, I have no idea re will your nav program work on Win 11.

Second, and (at least to me) more importantly: I prefer to keep my navigation computer COMPLETELY off the internet. I consider it a mission-critical piece of hardware. Keep a separate computer for web surfing, emails, etc. Gribs, other data needed on the nav computer can be transferred via "sneaker-net" i.e. transfer to a USB device from one computer to the other, checking first for viruses, etc.

Thus, if your current Nav computer is working fine, no need to worry.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 19:07   #6

Thanks Stu and Jam:
I realize that I have Win 10 to probably March of 2025, so both of you are right to just keep what I have now and not worry about Win11. I was wondering if I did upgrade in the future whether there would be anything to worry about.
In fact I have been running Win10 32Bit now with no problems with this nav program for years. The nav program works well and my version is not new. Jam is right to not be on the internet while using the Nav program. It isn't necessary as I understand in most circumstances except for updating mapping or the program itself.
Thanks for your info.
Old 11-04-2022, 00:18   #7

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Before installing Win 11, you should check if your laptop is compatible. If not you can still using Win 10, like Other still using older Win OS (Win XP) or you can forcing Win 11 installation (search on Google how to) Usually, if your Nav software doesn't run with the new Win 11, try the compatibility mode, most times this will work.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote