Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2008, 04:27   #1

N-Type Crimping instructions

Does anyone have bonehead-proof instructions for crimping on a N-type coax connector?

I pulled the end off of the XM antenna cable....

thanks,

Curtis
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 05:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Do you have a Coax Crimper c/w Type N Dies?

Assembly Instructions for 3-piece BNC, TNC, N-type, and C-type Coaxial Connectors:
1. Refer to the connector manufacturer’s specification and data sheets for the required strip dimensions and crimp size required to select the proper tools for use. The connector manufacturer specifies the sizes, not the cable or connector type.
2. Set-up the coaxial stripping tool to perform the proper strip of the outer jacket, shield, and inner dielectric as required by the connector manufacturer.
3. Strip the coaxial cable.
4. Slide the ferrule sleeve of the coaxial connector over the cable.
5. Ensure the center conductor length is accurate per the manufacturer’s specification.
6. Attach the pin to the center conductor.
7. Crimp the pin using the proper crimp size in the crimp tool as specified by the connector manufacturer.
8. Gently spin the center conductor pin in a circular motion to flair the braided shield outward away from the dielectric.
9. Slide the connector shell over the pin and dielectric. The end of the connector should slide under the braided shield. The connector should ‘snap” into place when the pin is seated properly into the connector.
10. Slide the ferrule sleeve over the braided shield and connector end.
11. Crimp the ferrule sleeve using the proper crimp size in the crimp tool as specified by the connector manufacturer.

Assembly Instructions for 2-piece BNC, TNC, N-type, C-type, and CATV “F” Coaxial Connectors:
1. Refer to the connector manufacturer’s specification and data sheets for the required strip dimensions and crimp size required to select the proper tools for use. The connector manufacturer specifies the sizes, not the cable or connector type.
2. Set-up the coaxial stripping tool to perform the proper strip of the outer jacket, shield, and inner dielectric as required by the connector manufacturer.
3. Strip the coaxial cable.
4. Slide the ferrule sleeve of the coaxial connector over the cable.
5. Gently spin the center conductor and dielectric in a circular motion to flair the braided shield outward away from the dielectric.
6. Slide the connector shell over the center conductor and dielectric. The end of the connector
should slide under the braided shield. The connector should ‘snap” into place when the center conductor is seated properly into the connector.
7. Slide the ferrule sleeve over the braided shield and connector end.
8. Crimp the ferrule sleeve using the proper crimp size in the crimp tool as specified by the connector manufacturer.
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 05:36   #3

Thanks, Gord. I figured you'd have this at your fingertips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Do you have a Coax Crimper c/w Type N Dies?
Don't think so...crimper is on the boat and the only die I have is for that huge Coax that I used...I think it is a PL-259. I think I can just buy another die for that tool, tho.
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 23:22   #4

Send a message via MSN to rfsupplier_com Send a message via Skype™ to rfsupplier_com
Re: N-Type Crimping instructions

Hi

I just know the crimp tool for RF connector ,rf cable ,fox example RG316,RG174,LMR195,LMR400..and so on.

Do anyone who want to know the proccession which to tell us how to crimp the cable with connectors? (Have the whole pics to show),Sorry ,about 30 pics so that I can not show them here !

Nice day !
Rfkiki
rfsupplier_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 23:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: N-Type Crimping instructions

Hi Curtis,

I dont have the instruction for the N Type, but for TNC you can get a clamp and solder type connection which does not require a crimping tool.
Have attached instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TNC Instruction.pdf (340.9 KB, 344 views)
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote