Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 22:16   #61

Re: My Macbook Pro 13 Died.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Great to see so many people running MACs on their boat. I would like to know what kind of software are you using for navigation, weather, etc? I am also looking for a way to use GPS with the MacBook PRO. IS there something you can plug into one of the USB ports allowing the computer now to be able to use GPS with some of the various softwares? Links would be awesome!!
macenc.com

In their store they have a nice little USB GPS dongle.

you can also get a multiplexor that can wire into the boat's sensors and gps's the multiplexers can talk to the Mac with USB, WiFi or Bluetooth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nema...w=1163&bih=718

hth
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 22:45   #62

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have heard a lot of people on here say things like Apples are so reliable. I can tell you from experience that they are not all that reliable and that when they do break they are expensive. I can also say from experience that a well built piece of hardware will run Windows with very few if any problems and running MS Essentials I have had absolutely no problems with any virus. Even before MS Essentials was available I never had a problem with a virus and only one customer, one time, had a virus. It came from a memory stick plugged into an Apple computer on the network.
Dont know you from a hole in the ground, so if I have this wrong I apologize, but when I see a post like this I always think of commercial time! You make it sound like you make your living from PC's? "Lot's of people have problems with MAc's." No one has problems with PC's! Yip that is why they are the biggest selling brand, cause they are garbage. PC's never have a problem, so you do what for a living?

Nothing is fool proof and Apple are far from it. However you protest too loudly!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 22:50   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Personally, I just don't find any of the Apple apps worthwhile for myself. And I did own a Mac mini - I just don't like to do things the Apple way
I'm currently running Adobe Lightroom, Chrome and Utorrent and watching a video on VLC.

on my PC I have... hmmm Adobe Photoshop, VLC and google chrome going.

I find the argument about apple apps pretty funny. Macs actually come with some very useful apps, unlike windows. And for a little money apps like iMovie are actually quite good. Way better IMO that MS's offerings.

As far as the 'apple way' again I find that Windows is incredibly rigid. on windows, pretty much anything you do can only be done one way and it's RARELY intuitive.

For example, Let's eject a USB thumb drive.

ummmm..... there's the drive in Windows explorer, maybe one of the menu's has an eject? nope. Right click? Nope Drag the drive icon? nope. you go to the bottom right and click a little green icon that's totally meaningless.

Let's contrast that with a mac:
in the finder, there's a little eject icon right next to the drive.
if you select the drive on the desktop (or finder) and drag, the trash icon changes to eject.
you can right click it and get an eject option.
you can control click it and eject it.
File menu -> eject
oh and lookie right there it tells you the keyboard shortcut command-e so you can use arrow keys and eject it without a working mouse.

On windows, repeat that minor frustration 100x a day with EVERYTHING you try and do.

I am really glad to hear that Windows 8 will be easy and 'just as good' as a 2 year old iPad. gimme a break. Windows was cheaper than Lisa, but they've been following Apple's lead since forever.

And FWIW, Apple earns more on iPhone than Microsoft makes on EVERYTHING they make combined. It's pretty funny that some people think that Macs are still a 'niche'

The war is over and frankly Linux won. but Apple was at least smart enough to see it coming.
Old 22-10-2012, 05:29   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
As far as the 'apple way' again I find that Windows is incredibly rigid. on windows, pretty much anything you do can only be done one way and it's RARELY intuitive.

For example, Let's eject a USB thumb drive.

ummmm..... there's the drive in Windows explorer, maybe one of the menu's has an eject? nope. Right click? Nope Drag the drive icon? nope. you go to the bottom right and click a little green icon that's totally meaningless.

Let's contrast that with a mac:
in the finder, there's a little eject icon right next to the drive.
if you select the drive on the desktop (or finder) and drag, the trash icon changes to eject.
you can right click it and get an eject option.
you can control click it and eject it.
File menu -> eject
oh and lookie right there it tells you the keyboard shortcut command-e so you can use arrow keys and eject it without a working mouse.
Actually on a PC you just grab the device and pull. Hard to be more intuitive than that.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:20   #65

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

I didn't mean to start a mac versus windows debate just asked what would you do if your mac died.
I have Win and Mac and like them both.
I find it amazing that people get so passionate about such little things.
I used to ride dirt bikes and the road riders wouldn't wave to us, when I rode my road bike the dirt riders didnt talk to us.
Mono-hull and Catamaran same thing, wonder why that is?
I think it is good that we are all different but maybe I'm wrong........

Thanks for all the replies anyway. I decided to get the Mac repaired and try to get another 2 or 3 years out of it since I have already spent time and money on getting working the way I like it.

Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:29   #66

Ive skim read this thread and so I haven't noticed if anyone has already mentioned this but if your Dell works fine then why waste money that could be put to better use elsewhere?.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:38   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
In fairness this is not a Mac exclusive. Every boat cruising with a computer should have an external drive that has been cloned from the internal drive and that contains recent image files of the internal drive. Free cloning and imaging software is available for PC's. Easus Todo Backup has a free version and owners of Western digital or Seagate drives can get a free version of Acronis from their drive manufacturer to mention a few.
One can not make a bootable clone of a Windows HD i.e
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 06:53   #68
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
If that is meant to be a paraphrase of the post you quoted then it should read "i.e., One can make a bootable clone of a Windows HD"
Old 22-10-2012, 06:54   #69

Mac OSX allows all third party software built for OS X. Windows OS can be booted natively to an Apple computer. Plus for Apple as this gives the user flexibility if he must run a Windows program unavailable on the Mac platform.
Plus for Mac back up drives are bootable. If your HD crashes, just reboot with the back up. No lost time. Apple environment integration with iPad and and iPhone superior to Android / Windows. No knock on Android, but my iPhone is automatically baked up to my computer. Drop your phone overboard? just plug the new one into your computer and you on way with a fully restored iPhone.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard is not iOS which runs on the iPhone though iOS is built on Mac OS X.. One does not have to buy new. Lots of good deals on Craigslist for one or two year old Macs w/warranty. If you buy a Mac still under warranty, buy Apple Care for extended Warranty. Best customer service ever.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:57   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
As a matter of fact "one" can with the right software (for the record I'm a Mac fan who also uses Win7 and Win 8 and happy with both)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 22-10-2012, 06:58   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
As a matter of fact "one" can with the right software (for the record I'm a Mac fan who also uses Win7 and Win 8 and happy with both)
Perhaps now, but I have been unsuccessful in the past. Something new?
Old 22-10-2012, 10:22   #72

I had to do it in Uni in 2006
Old 22-10-2012, 10:31   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Actually on a PC you just grab the device and pull. Hard to be more intuitive than that.
MAYBE with a thumb drive but not a HD. Do I Really Need to Eject USB Drives Before Removing Them?

And the point remains, Windows expects you to do it one way, their way, which is often a very weird way.
Old 22-10-2012, 11:30   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I had to do it in Uni in 2006
I suspect that most of us did it in Uni, at one time or another. Hopefully, you have done it at least once since then.

Oh, wait, you are talking about computers?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 12:04   #75

*tumbleweed* oh dear lol