Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 06:41   #31

Re: Music Aboard

The MP3 format is really crap. memory has gotten so cheap and available that Full Length audio (lossless) format should be the only format today (thanks apple for screwing this up so royally when memory was pricey). I have about 3500 songs on my phone in FLAC format (you would need a FLAC audio player like "jet Audio" for android) the difference can be heard on even the most basic of equipment. The Bluetooth receiver is also not a one size fits all. The Audioengine B1 has incredible sound, admittedly it's about 200$ but big difference (has its own quality D/A converter)> It was a pain burning just under 300 cd's from my collection, but once its done you have it forever, in the original, full format.... Check out Niel Young's rants on MP3 if you have doubts...
Jefffriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:04   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

+1 for the Fusion. I had a Sony with external mix combining USB-PC, CD changer, TV and XM (via analog in from a MyFi)nd a cockpit remote. When the head unit died and none of the current models support the accessory bus, I went for a Fusion MS-RA70 with NMEA, Bluetooth and a SiriusXM tuner. Great unit, great sound. Pricey but worth it IMO.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:29   #33

Sounds! like you have it all figured out pretty good.
I still play dinosaur cds and need a cd stereo though they are not quite in the 8-track category, yet.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:11   #34
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Even though I have a built in sound system, I still prefer a portable bluetooth speaker because I can move it around with me and of course the controls are right on it. I also use the bone conduction headphones that do not block your hearing.
My favorite speaker so far is the old Pyle Splash (the 60 or 65, not the new 75). It is waterproof-ish, rugged enough to withstand boat abuse, all day battery life, and has decent enough volume if you are close. I've tried several newer speakers, but they all seem flimsy, sound tinny, and need to be recharged after 5 or 6 hours or even less.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:13   #35

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodxcharly View Post
Sounds! like you have it all figured out pretty good.
I still play dinosaur cds and need a cd stereo though they are not quite in the 8-track category, yet.
You are using the best source you can obtain practically. Full dynamics and massive channel separation.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:15   #36
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonorow View Post
I'm looking at upgrading my stereo system. Being off-shore and out of reach of the cloud, I'm thinking MP-3 and thumb drives are the best option to play my music aboard. Any better ideas out there? Any agreement?
Of all the preceding posts Benz is closest to my SOP. Selections are obtained free from library CDs and downloaded to my PC where they are available when desired, never while actually sailing. I've found the need for music is not as frequent as it used to be; beyond the normal boat sounds, silence can be quite enjoyable.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:18   #37

If you are also considering a good off-shore weather reporting system, you might check out packages from Sirius XM for your cruising area. It can give you up to date weather, grib files on your chart plotter and music.
Eric Carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 20:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonorow View Post
Thank you very much for your well thought out answer. I'm slowly getting dragged into the 21st. Century, having recently installed Garmin Bluetooth compatible sonar and radar units. Although I had never heard of either Fusion marine radios, or Raspberry PI, thanks to you, I am educating myself. My problem started with the recent demise of my PC, which took with it all my music and nav software (Garmin Homeport). The only things that survived were my thumb drives. Looking for something bullet proof. Thanks to you, I am definitely going with Bluetooth and USB compatible. My stereo unit is below at my nav station; so, don't see the need to spend the money for Fusion. Thanks again for all the erudite help.
Due to falures I store all important files letters, music and recipies on two external hard drives ... One continuiously connected and one occasionally. When I do connect it I copy all files to it too. It makes for a failure proof setup with Two backups.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 00:22   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Well...for some boiled Folgers is good enough. Different strokes.

There is a lot more in the music than you would suspect if the high frequency content is included. And if you're upgrading it may not pay off in any way if your source is bad to start with.
Not much point for us old farts, most of whom have mild to severe 'high frequency hearing loss" (especially those who are ex-military)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:04   #40

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Sirius is good for news and music. I use it in remote Mexico. No phone or internet service required. Easy installlation.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:04   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefffriday View Post
The MP3 format is really crap. memory has gotten so cheap and available that Full Length audio (lossless) format should be the only format today (thanks apple for screwing this up so royally when memory was pricey). I have about 3500 songs on my phone in FLAC format (you would need a FLAC audio player like "jet Audio" for android) the difference can be heard on even the most basic of equipment. The Bluetooth receiver is also not a one size fits all. The Audioengine B1 has incredible sound, admittedly it's about 200$ but big difference (has its own quality D/A converter)> It was a pain burning just under 300 cd's from my collection, but once its done you have it forever, in the original, full format.... Check out Niel Young's rants on MP3 if you have doubts...
Totally acknowledge that MP3 is crap compared to FLAC or other lossless formats. But on my system, while I can hear the difference, it does not prevent me from full enjoyment of my MP3 songs.

And aside from space requirement, I collected my music over decades, all legally obtained, and most of it was before we had cheap storage or FLAC format available. Now I have 124 GB of music, 3000 albums and over 31000 songs, all MP3. It would not be possible to re-record any percentage of that music in FLAC.

Finally, I buy 90% of my music from Amazon. I purchase it and download it. MP3 is the only choice unless I want to subscribe to Amazon Music Services. Pure and simple, I subscribe to nothing, so that's out.

But I am completely satisfied with my music, especially the last 5-10 years when we have been able to get 320kbs/sec and 96khz sampling on MP3.

With my system, it sounds pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:07   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
...1. You need to use a streaming service (I prefer Spotify, you choose yours)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
iPhone Spotify and a Bluetooth speaker system is all you need
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carnell View Post
If you are also considering a good off-shore weather reporting system, you might check out packages from Sirius XM for your cruising area. It can give you up to date weather, grib files on your chart plotter and music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
Sirius is good for news and music. I use it in remote Mexico. No phone or internet service required. Easy installlation.
Too bad the music is so mundane, I can get the same selection in an elevator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
...I don't find the streaming services suitable, since I like to listen to entire works all together, and at best they give random selections, and rarely the best from any piece.
Yes, this ^^^
Old 05-10-2022, 15:28   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

High bitrate and sampling and not even experts can tell the difference during blind testing.

That said, FLAC and Apple Lossless are so easy now that there’s no reason to use mo3 other than when it’s the only thing you can get. With Amazon, I buy the CD and get the mp3 included for free…. When the cd arrives, I rip it to lossless and add it to the collection.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 20:30   #44

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
High bitrate and sampling and not even experts can tell the difference during blind testing.

That said, FLAC and Apple Lossless are so easy now that there’s no reason to use mo3 other than when it’s the only thing you can get. With Amazon, I buy the CD and get the mp3 included for free…. When the cd arrives, I rip it to lossless and add it to the collection.
Amen, that's my MO also!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 21:11   #45

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Music Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Well...for some boiled Folgers is good enough. Different strokes.

There is a lot more in the music than you would suspect if the high frequency content is included. And if you're upgrading it may not pay off in any way if your source is bad to start with.

I know that listening to music on a great system is a great feeling. I can enjoy music from the small portable speakers but it becomes background in about 3 minutes.

Nothing on a boat will compare to a land based tuned sound system and on most boats I’ve been on you’ll never get the highs and lows

IMHO

Edit unless you use headphones

Tags
music