Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2017, 04:49   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Multiple types of antennas for SSB

A Sea 222
Old 28-11-2017, 10:38   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I disposed of the antenna," Ouch.
" all of the SSB whips I have seen are very long, 20' or so."
Well, yes. That's those nasty old laws of physics, which often point to one optimum solution for things like making HF radios work well.
If you can see a helical pattern "under" the skin, then the antenna could be a helically wound HF whip. That can physically shorten the length of the mast by 1/2-2/3, with some performance compromise and cost increase. Or there could be a helical antenna or other type hiding inside a plain fiberglass tube that just looks solid.
If there's no ID on the antenna, you'll have to either experiment yourself, or take it to someone who has antenna test equipment. Try a local ham radio club if the local electronics techs are too pricey. (They're usually sealed shut, and potted, so dissection is not a likely option.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:36   #18

I purchased the Icom R-75, is there any issue to attaching to the GTO wire running to my antenna tuner in order to monitor actual signals that the SSB should be receiving?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:39   #19

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

If you're referring to the direct connection to the antenna, bypassing the tuner, for receive, that works fine. Don't leave it that way when transmitting.
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 14:23   #20

Boat: Irwin, 43MKIII, 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
A Sea 222
I had one of those. It came with my boat. Big unit, worked OK, but took up a lot of room and did not have DSC or email capability since it is 100% analog. So I purchased the IC M802 about 10 years ago. Sold my SEA 222 to a fisherman who wanted an upgrade on his commercial license. I see a lot of them on Deadliest Catch....
Terry
TLSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 14:25   #21

Quote:
I purchased the Icom R-75, is there any issue to attaching to the GTO wire running to my antenna tuner in order to monitor actual signals that the SSB should be receiving?
Just to listen it would be OK. Recommend you remove your microphone so you are not tempted to transmit, effectively, into an open.
Terry
Old 17-04-2018, 14:47   #22

Is it feasible to install a long whip ssb on the side of my mast so several feet are above the top of the mast?
Old 17-04-2018, 15:42   #23

Quote:
Is it feasible to install a long whip ssb on the side of my mast so several feet are above the top of the mast?
Height on your boat is not a requirement. If you are still just listening you could put the antenna anywhere including your mast. If you are planning to run GTO up the mast and transmit, that is probably not a good plan as the GTO wire is part of your antenna and your mast is probably grounded. T
Old 17-04-2018, 16:26   #24

Mast is not grounded, if I install so about 4' of antenna is above mast top it will function correctly?
Old 17-04-2018, 16:30   #25

Boat: Valiant 42

It's impossible to answer with 100% certainty. If your mast is truly not grounded then you don't need a whip. You could just connect the tuner to the mast with GTO cable. There isn't much difference between that and running GTO up the mast to a whip way up at the top.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 13:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It's impossible to answer with 100% certainty. If your mast is truly not grounded then you don't need a whip. You could just connect the tuner to the mast with GTO cable. There isn't much difference between that and running GTO up the mast to a whip way up at the top.

I thought some frequencies are better with different types of antennas, my mast is in a tabernacle base with no wires that I am aware of acting as ground. Thought fiberglass whip was tuned for ground wave signal rather than ionosphere bounce,, if an aluminum mast made a good antenna wouldn't more sailors be utilizing this meathod?
Old 18-04-2018, 19:20   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"my mast is in a tabernacle base with no wires that I am aware of acting as ground."
Most offshore boats have a mast stepped on the keel, and with a heavy direct lightning ground straight down to the keel. Maybe with a deck stepped mast, you can rely on the rigging to take lightning strikes and ignore the mast grounding...but at one end or the other, there's going to be a ground connection, unless you've also got a wooden mast?

As dan said, and as the ARRL's antenna books and articles on marine installations always say, every boat is different and there are NO certain answers beyond "try different stuff and see what works best on your boat". The conductance across every swage, nut, and bolt in every rigging connection makes a difference. RF is different from DC power, it travels mainly by skin effect and not through the entire solid conductor.

An antenna mounted parallel to the mast but offset from it, will still be broadcasting into the mast, so there will be resonances and inductances and reflections that are probably very predictable--to the hundred or so guys on the planet who really think that's everyday calculations. To the rest of us, it is trial and error. And the more your vertical is next to your mast, the worse the problem would be.

There are good reasons why 20' HF antennas are simply mounted on a pole on the stern rail. Of course, you can always try it out alongside the mast (there goes your bridge clearance, not to mention lines or sails catching on it) and then try it on a stern pole, and do the final install wherever it works best.

Think of it this way: If you know that you have size 10-1/2 feet, does that mean you can just go out and buy any size 10-1/2 shoes and expect them to fit and fit well? No, and that's way simpler math than what you need to model the antenna performance. There's just some stuff in this world where "try it on" is the most effective answer, even when that's not convenient.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb