Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 14:16   #1

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Multi meter

High (from too much poly fumes) ,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the reading 097 on my multimeter means in volts? I have the dial set on 2000M DC. I thought that the 2000M was equivilant to 2 volts. If so, what does the 097 mean?

Thanks.
Seafox.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 14:17   #2

I must be high!! the heading should read multi meter. Cant seem to edit it.
Old 12-12-2006, 15:42   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
We have plenty of "jumping Mullet" here ... and we often score them as you would in the Olympics, "I'll give that one a 8.4, due to the difficulty" etc. .... would that qualify me as a "mullet meter"?
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 18:13   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
If you look carefully, there may be a decimal there somewhere in the read out. I would think 097 without a decimal is 97 milivolts about 0.1 volts. Not much. What are you measuring at such low votages?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 18:22   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
High (from too much poly fumes) ,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the reading 097 on my multimeter means in volts? I have the dial set on 2000M DC. I thought that the 2000M was equivilant to 2 volts. If so, what does the 097 mean?

Thanks.
Seafox.
If you want to be in DC volts the dial should be set on 2000V NOT "M", or less for a 12V system. I don't know what brand or model of meter you have but the "M" could be for milivolts. In that case you should be measuring a thermocouple or generator. If you ARE set on 2 volts you could be just measuring stay voltage or static at 097. ........................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 01:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You are correct, a setting of “2000m” on the “V=” scale should be 2000 milliVolts (2.0 V) DC maximum, with the Red lead plugged in to the VOLT jack, and the Black lead in the COM jack:
a reading of 097 would indicate 97 mV or 0.097V (about 0.1 V).

A better reading might be taken on the 2A DCV scale. The 20 VDC scale is usually selecterd for 12V nominal systems.

How to read a multi-meter: using a multimeter

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 01:10   #7

I bought a gas detector and it is not working properly.

I sent this to the manufacturer:

"I bought a BEP fume detector a few months ago from Burnsco. I installed it this weekend in our yacht. The wires have been connected as per the instruction manual. A 2 amp fuse has been installed in the positive feed. The sensor has been installed low down in the galley.
When I turn the unit on, sometimes it goes throught the set up and the amber light and alarm does not turn off. If I blow on the sensor I can get it to turn off. About 5 mins later it goes off again, not red but an amber light and alarm.

I used a glue gun to seal the + & - terminal wiring in heat wrap when I did the installation and wondered if the fumes from the glue gun could have caused this. There were very little fumes at the time but I could smell some. The gas has not been turned on this weekend.
I have put a cold air blower (heater on cold fan only) in the area of the sensor and run it for a few hours. The amber light and alarm still go off every few minutes when I turn the battery power back on.

When the unit first turns on sometimes it does set correctly and I can hit the test button and it beeps and shows a red light as it should. Then a few minutes later the alarm goes off and the amber light shows again.

If this is fumes, why is the amber light going and not the red light?

Any idea what is wrong? I can send you some photos of the installation if it would help."

They replied:

"The glue from the glue gun will definitely cause an alarm, but the fact that you are getting an amber light is interesting. Do you have access to a hand held multimeter? Can you test the voltage across the green and black wires, with everything connected and the LED's showing green. The voltage should be 0.3v - 0.8v. There is an adjustment inside the sensor casing, if need be. Let me know how you get on."
"The meter dial needs to be on a low DC Voltage scale and you need to have one probe on the green and the other probe on the black."

I did what he said and put the multimeter on the lowest setting dc. The reading was 097.

"That reading is on the low side and will need to be adjusted up to 0.5V. Do you want to have a go at that or do you want to send the sensor back to me."

They are replacing the sensor unit.

I was wondering what the reading at 097 was?

Old 13-12-2006, 01:14   #8

Thanks Gord May,
I must have been typing my last post as you were posting. It appears then I am 0.4 off where I need to be.
They have been good to deal with and are sending a replacement with a courier bag so I can send the faulty one back.
cheers