Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:37   #1

Mounting A Radar On A Windgen Pole??

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out where to mount my radar (a Garmin 18"). I'm thinking of mounting it on my wind generator pole. The problem I foresee with this setup is that the vibration caused by the wind gen may destroy/degrade my radar. My turbine is an Air Breeze (similar to the Air X). It doesn't vibrate excessively however the pole (which is sperated from the hull by rubber dampers) certainly does move about. Should I worry? Are there others out there with this setup?
Hubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The problem I foresee with this setup is that the vibration caused by the wind gen may destroy/degrade my radar.
It's more a matter of windage on the pole than weight. If you could post a picture it might help to generate some better opinions and ideas. Personally I prefer halfway up the main mast, but pole stern mounts are common.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 17:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The higher a radar the greater its range and its ability to pick out contacts...its pretty significant.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 19:01   #4

I'm well aware of all the other downsides, I was just looking for opinions on the vibration issue. At this point I've largely abandoned the idea partly due to vibration concerns but also because I don't want my boat's deck flooded with E/M radiation.

When I read in Garmin's manual that you REALLY shouldn't look at the unit if it's active while you're in the beam path I started thinking of more remote mounting locations.

i.e. Thread Closed, thanks
Hubec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar