Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2009, 06:27   #1

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
More TV digital switchover questions!

OK, so I'm here at the boat installing the new superdoper 19" lcd, HD, stereo TV as well as the new Sirius ready JVC radio with CD player ( one that plays MP3 discs), ext input an aux input and the Sirius tuner box. It has required some woodwork and revarnishing .... so before I go any further and build in a VCR player or a newer VCR/DVD player/reorder etc., I have some questions about them ..... will the old VCR recorders still work if in line between the antenna and the new digital TV? (they must have an analog tuner in them - right?) How about the newer VCR/DVD recorder/player, would they covert the incoming digital signal to annalog (that would seem to defeat the purpose of buying a digital TV ..... I would like to install the VCR/DVD player/recorder but I do not want to install a converter box in the system ..... I don't have a clue and neither do the folks down at Circuit City, WalMart, etc.

Any information would be appreciated, Bill A
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 06:36   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
The signal coming from the VCR/DVD will be a straight video/audio signal on one of four standards: HDMI for high end, Componant video, S-video, or composite video. Composite video is probably most appropriate for boat use and is just the standard red/white/and yellow connectors.
The new digital format and converter box would only be for the over the air signals; your new TV should already be set to handle that.
I would not run the VCR/DVD through the "cable" connector on the TV, run that straight to your antenna.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 07:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It looks like you want to build a really high quality but small entertainment center.

None of the 19 inch monitors fit the 1080i high definition standard. Viewsonic has a 1680x1024 which comes close. Samsung and a few others offer a 1440x900 which comes closest to the "letterbox" shape (width to height ratio) that movies are filmed in. That screen resolution is closer to 720i than 1080i. With those resolutions and ratios on a 19 inch screen, its going to look pretty good anyways even if it is not the best picture possible.

I would consider going up to a 21 inch or a 24 inch monitor if it will fit. With those sizes you will be able to get a 1920x1080 screen making it true 1080i high definition. You could get 1080p if you buy a Bluray optical drive for your computer. This saves the space and power requirements of a stand alone Bluray player. Be sure your monitor has an HDMI port. It really would not take much more money or space to get the best picture possible.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 16:43   #4
Hal

If the output of your vcr/dvd/whatever plays on the old analog tv, it will not play on a HDTV even if it has video and audio output. The video and audio are analog, not digital. HDTV audio and video input is digital. Analog video is a completely different format and is analog. If you would look at the different signals on a scope, it would be immediately apparent. Do not use the old vcr with the new HDTV. Like David said, go with the biggest and best you can fit or afford the first time or you will be upgrading in short order. You will clearly see the difference.

Hal
ex-chief engineer TV-14
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote