Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2021, 13:00   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
More AIS questions

I am asking for an AIS unit for Christmas but I have a few questions.

I was planning on asking for a Vesper Marine WatchMate. But on an earlier thread (that I can't find) someone posted that Vesper was putting everything into the Cortex unit would not be continuing to support the WatchMate. Would I be buying an obsolete unit? There is about $500 difference in the cost ($800 verses $1200).

How do I interface with the WatchMate to enter destination info?

Would the WatchMate interface with my Raymarine MFD?

Would the WatchMate work with my Navonics chart software on my IPad?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 13:32   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: More AIS questions

The Cortex system integrates VHF and AIS. I sincerely doubt Vesper is dropping their AIS only products.

The Watchmate Vision2 and XB-8000 products have WiFi. You can connect via WiFi to set your destination information, and also connect by WiFi to pull data for use with Navionics on your iPad. They both will interface to your plotter with NMEA2000.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 13:48   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47, 47 '

Regarding Vesper Marine and the XB (Watchmate) AIS devices.
Vesper continues to support this very popular AIS device. Even going so far as to offer refurbishment and repairs on the devices.

Cortex is their newest product, and the newest R&D efforts and software updates are of course focused on this product.

But the support for all product is ongoing.
Ted D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 13:48   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I just noticed that Vesper is selling a Cortex unit that does not incorporate VHF but incorporate a built-in antenna splitter. It is possible that they might drop the VB-8000 from their line-up as the Cortex without VHF sort of occupies the same spot in their lineup, but IF they did I'd guess they would maintain the XB-6000 for the price point and the Vision2 as it has its own display so differs significantly. On the other hand they may keep the XB-8000 as it is cheaper, though less feature rich than the Cortex.

In any case I have found Vesper's customer support, both from HQ in New Zealand and from their USA office, to be very good, and if the XB-8000 fits your needs I wouldn't worry about it being discontinued. I currently own a Vision1, which is discontinued, but they still provide excellent support for it. I just recently did a firmware upgrade and received help with them to clear an old MMSI.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 21:46   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

If you are buying a new class B AIS you should make sure it is a 5watt SOTDMA unit and not the older 2 watt units. The older low power units, will likely be disappearing from the product lines of vendors.

Tags
ais