Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 04:08   #1

Boat: Custom Catamaran 17.5m
Mobilert PTX

Hi Folks,
I have a Mobilert 7600 system. Its a great product and suits my use perfectly. Unfortunately all the PTX units have started to fail. The batteries are failing in them, only one of the six I have is now working, and once that has been out the charging housing for 30 minutes the console shows low battery. What I need is 6 replacement PTXs but seems its out of production now and there is no spares I can find. Does anyone have any idea where I can buy new ones. The units are sealed and you can get into them. I have hacked one open but finding and remounting the batteries will be a mission. They are Nickel Hydrate batteries only about 15mm in diameter

Thanks and safe sailing
John
captainjsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Mobilert PTX

John,

Look on ebay for replacement batteries... You WILL be able to find something that will work, and better than the original batteries...

I have bought replacement internal hard wired batteries for some oddball stuff like force gauges and other instruments, and could not be happier.... If you look hard enough you van usually find the exact voltage and physical dimensions with 1.5-2x the Ah rating... and CHEAP!!! $2-5

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:23   #3

Thanks I am an e-bay fan so will spend a bit more time over the weekend checking things out, worth a try anyway.
Old 26-05-2014, 12:25   #4

Hi John,

Could you tell us more about your experience with opening and changing the batteries of the Mobilert 7600 system PTX units? How did you manage to open the units? Where did you buy the batteries? How did you close the units back?

We have been using and liking the system for years (until about a year ago when the batteries went dead) but this looks like the end of it unless we manage to change the batteries... which seems a bit of a mission as you said...

Thank for any information!
Lorenzo
Lolitodubateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 18:36   #5

Hi Lorenzo,

Well not a huge success I'm afraid I got the batteries from e-bay about after searching around a bit, Cut the units open by heating up a thin bladed knife with a blow torch and after a bit of a struggle resoldered the new ones in Resealed with silicone sealer, and every one worked but only for about 4 months. I would say most have packed in now. I am going to ditch the unit and will not buy from Mobilet ever again. I have bought 4 x Kannard personal AIS units and the electronic chart supports the special signal the unit sends out. So a better solution I think.

SafeLink R10

Cheers John