Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 16:21   #1

Boat: simpson 12
Mobile booster for use in australia

I'm currently sailing the west coat of Australia and need to boost my mobile signal for work and have been looking into all the options for quite some time but it can all be a little bit confusing! Does anyone have experience with this and can give me some advice on the best units to get for use here? And potentially one that would be useful overseas as well?

I look forward to hearing back!
surfynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 17:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Mobile booster for use in australia

Mobile signal meaning cell data?
If so I just got a WiriePro that seems to work well, pop for the $99 high gain cell antenna if you want max range
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:34   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Be careful ....:: cell boosters as used in the US are not legal in OZ.

Hi gain antennas hooked up to 3/4g routers for data are fine tho.
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 22:57   #4

I just installed a Cel Fi GO marine pack and it works well. I've been using in nth qld in places with little to no signal and now with it been able to phone, internet etc.
It is legal in australia and tied to telstra. You will find all the details on Powertec web site. Probably not much use after you leave Aust.
Hamo
Hamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:01   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I do not know the gear the above poster (hamo) is talking about, but I thought in general if Telstra doesn't sell it or approve it, it is illegal to use. There are other retailers who sell gear that is suitable for the Australian market here www.quantel.co.nz.
A new Zealand company that sells quite a bit to Oz, I believe. When checking I noticed his gear is sourced from the USA, and I found it to be available there for a lot less $$, but would it (direct import form USA) work in Oz and NZ? Not sure. I know Quantal gear does work well. I would say that gear is not approved by Telstra in Oz.
Having said that, the aerial supplied is marginal and a larger dedicated aerial ie Marine, Marine Mobile Phone, Deck Mount | ZCG Scalarby works much better!
One would have to take chances, not getting caught. I know one guy who has been using it for 5 years.

There is another way, to improve the range without any cost. If the modem is your phone or another portable device (ie wireless modem) like on the photo and if the connection from that device to computer is via wifi, then put the device in a plastic container with a screwtop lid, hoist to the top of the mast and you have 5-15 Nm further range. Make sure you have ways to bring the device down again...... Again I know one guy who has been doing that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigpond4gwifi.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	142891  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamo View Post
I just installed a Cel Fi GO marine pack and it works well. I've been using in nth qld in places with little to no signal and now with it been able to phone, internet etc.
It is legal in australia and tied to telstra. You will find all the details on Powertec web site. Probably not much use after you leave Aust.
Hamo

Cel-Fi GO Repeater for Marine, Mobile Booster for boats, 4G Repeater, Booster for Telstra 4G, Repeater for Telstra 4GX, LTE Repeater, Telstra Approved Repeater
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, mob