Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06   #1

Maxsea GPS Connection Problem

Hello everyone

I am looking for help with the connection between maxsea v11 (running on Windows vista) and GPS (Furuno 32). When I connect them in the Data input window I tried NMEA 183, or to change it to Furuno CIF. When I run on NMEA 183 there is no data display, when I change to Furuno CIF there is data display, but Maxsea still does not recognise the position. THe connection between GPS and the computer is by USB to Serial Port.

Please somebody help. I spend already days and days on it.
DESPERATE.
Irma
irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 13:17   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Have you checked which port has the data in NMEA. Run hyperterminal to look for the data sentences.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 15:51   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
OK, so if it works in SeaClear that's a good sign that NMEA output from the GPS is making it to the computer. I would bet it's a configuration setting in MaxSea that's not right, especially since you mention that it worked fine with a previous system.

My approach would probably be to delete the current port in MaxSea and add a new one to get back to a vanilla configuration; then changing the bare minimum things needed and checking the data display tab (whatever they call it) that shows the NMEA sentences as they are received.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:12   #4

I tried that already. but nothing changed. Any other ideas?
irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 13:15   #5

<Solution>

I had the same problem.
In the data input/Output Add new Instrument. Select the com port, select NMEA183 and choose which Baud rate your gps uses. if you dont know leave 4800. Now under advanced settings or just double klick the new entry to open the advanced settings menu. in the first line make sure position is checked under select. now under "sentence" there is a drop down menu. Try selecting RMC or GLL. Those 2 worked for me. If not try using the others one by one.

Now my only problem is how to get MaxSea to update the GPS info more often. It updates like once every 10 seconds. SealClear does it in real time no problem.
jablonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:20   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
mrsi2f, and I are having the same problem. We started last night, and still we can't get the gps to be read. We have tried RMC, & the rest, but no luck so far. We have gone back, and made sure the baud is 4800, and the gps is working properly. Any ides of what is next?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:41   #7

Boat: Tartan S&S 48
gps offset

Hi everyone. Havent run Maxsea for some time and have forgotten lots but i was sure a facility exists to offset the gps position when it is known ie when you are anchored on top of an island. can anyone enlighten me on on how.
Rob
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 11:54   #8

Yet another gps-maxsea connection problem: I use a very cheap GPS logger (50€) that declares NMEA protocol. If I connect the GPS to a PC running a generic GPS program, it seems that the connection between the two device is performed in port 4 and at a 115.000 baud. If i try to slow the speed rate of the generic GPS program, I can se no NMEA strings but only strange and undetectable strings. And THAT is seems to be the problem: switching to MaxSea, the maximum baud rate available is 38.400 and when I connect the two devices I can see the same, boring, incomprensible strings. Technically speaking, i seems that the GPS logger and the USB port handshake is performed at the higher avialable speed and later noone can change this settings. Does anyone can suggest something?
fabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea