Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 14:51   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Matsutec H102 and MOB1 Rescue one, does the h102 display the MOB1

Hi all,

I need a AIS Transiever and the Matsutec H102 look to fit my needs.
What I cannot find anywhere if the Matsutec h102 is able to display the MOB1 Rescue one AIS signal as Rescue AIS target and NOT as a „normal/standard“ ship target.
The manual of the MOB states that every AIS from 2015 is able to display this as the MOB1 sends the „9“ with which the AIS software from newer then 2015 interprets this and displays the MOB1 as Rescue AIS target.
Is the Matsutec H102 able to do this? A NMEA 183 port indicates its an technically old unit but software seems to be up to date....
A killer point for the Matsutec for me...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 16:00   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Matsutec H102 and MOB1 Rescue one, does the h102 display the MOB1

Does the H102 even have a display?

Or are you asking whether the AIS receiver will send to your plotter the info that the signal originated from a MOB1 and not a ship? The answer to this is "yes", it is treated like a class A signal, but with an MMSI that starts 972 (MOB code, rather than a country code), and a navigation status as SART (rather than underway/anchored/etc) ... as long as the message gets through to the plotter, that info will be there.

But then you need to ask, what will your plotter display?
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 19:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Does the H102 even have a display?

Or are you asking whether the AIS receiver will send to your plotter the info that the signal originated from a MOB1 and not a ship? The answer to this is "yes", it is treated like a class A signal, but with an MMSI that starts 972 (MOB code, rather than a country code), and a navigation status as SART (rather than underway/anchored/etc) ... as long as the message gets through to the plotter, that info will be there.

But then you need to ask, what will your plotter display?
I am asking if the h102 receives the signal from the MOB1 properly, means as you described with 972 and if it’s is able to put this on the NMEA 0183 Network.

You are sure and own a H102 or know someone who does or just in theory? That’s standard and works with all from 2015 on, but how old is the h102 hardware and software in reality...0183 is long before 2015,why doesn’t it have n2k...

I have old Seatalk/NMEA 183 with Raymarine c70 plotter and Seatalk NG/Nmea2000 with Raymarine eHybridtouch/lighthouse 2 plotter on board.
As in another thread a H102 owner connected successfully the h102 with a B&G Zeus2 plotter via NMEA 0183 and all works fine, I don‘t see an issue there as it connects via NMEA0183 with 36400bauds what both of my plotters can work with too. Via the seatalk old to new adapter it also gets translated to n2k and the YachtDevices nmea WiFi dongle puts all Nmea0183 and n2k data on the boat WiFi so I can use it via ISailor on my 12.9 Ipadpro too.
I often have inexperience crew or guest on my cat and the MOB1 is in every lifevest installed so my AIS need to be able to receive it properly.
Old 02-05-2021, 19:47   #4

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I am asking if the h102 receives the signal from the MOB1 properly,
The AIS message for an MOB device is the same as a class A position message (AIS message type #1). If it can receive a class A signal from a ship, it will receive this properly too. To the AIS receiver the signal just looks like a ship that comes from '972' country ... It is up to the plotter or any alarms to decide whether '972' means a ship or a MOB when it displays it.
Quote:
You are sure and own a H102 or know someone who does or just in theory? That’s standard and works with all from 2015 on, but how old is the h102 hardware and software in reality...0183 is long before 2015,why doesn’t it have n2k...
I don't have an h102 ... but this is how AIS works ... The signal isn't new in 2015, it's the same signal as from a ship, they just invented a new set of ID numbers (ones that start 972) that don't match the id's of ships from any countries (so they can easily be identified as MOB signals). NMEA0183 carries AIS data correctly(but only at 38400 baud), you do not need N2K. If you are getting AIS signals from the receiver to the plotter, that '972' prefix is fundamental to the data, it will be there.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
The AIS message for an MOB device is the same as a class A position message (AIS message type #1). If it can receive a class A signal from a ship, it will receive this properly too. To the AIS receiver the signal just looks like a ship that comes from '972' country ... It is up to the plotter or any alarms to decide whether '972' means a ship or a MOB when it displays it.
I don't have an h102 ... but this is how AIS works ... The signal isn't new in 2015, it's the same signal as from a ship, they just invented a new set of ID numbers (ones that start 972) that don't match the id's of ships from any countries (so they can easily be identified as MOB signals). NMEA0183 carries AIS data correctly(but only at 38400 baud), you do not need N2K. If you are getting AIS signals from the receiver to the plotter, that '972' prefix is fundamental to the data, it will be there.
Thank you.
I know how AIS works. New in 2015 was the 972 Country as you described and the Receiver needs to be able to decode this properly. This is all the theory.
NMEA 0183 is an old interface so the h-102 is before 2015 on the hardware side, but how old is the software in reality...can it decode this or not.
Is there a h-102 owner who can check this?
I don‘t wanna buy twice.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:36   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thank you.
I know how AIS works. New in 2015 was the 972 Country as you described and the Receiver needs to be able to decode this properly. This is all the theory.
NMEA 0183 is an old interface so the h-102 is before 2015 on the hardware side, but how old is the software in reality...can it decode this or not.
Is there a h-102 owner who can check this?
I don‘t wanna buy twice.
The receiver does not decode the 972 country code. All it does is pass it onto the nmea bus. The decoding takes place in the chartplotter.
Not sure if you are getting some really cheap deal on this unit, but consider buying the newer class B units that are 5watt SOTDMA, instead of the older 2 watt units.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The receiver does not decode the 972 country code. All it does is pass it onto the nmea bus. The decoding takes place in the chartplotter.
Not sure if you are getting some really cheap deal on this unit, but consider buying the newer class B units that are 5watt SOTDMA, instead of the older 2 watt units.
Thanks Paul. MOB1 says AIS before 2015...no idea who is decoding what but you seem to know. So all good.
My Raymarine Hybrid Touch e7 can decode it for sure, friend has a AIS650 with e7 and MOB1 and works.
The HA102 is 300 with Antenas and splitter, a new 5W is 4x times the cost. 2W is more then enough to be seen for a cat and I can program the Matsutec myself and several owners report a very good sensivity in receiving mode. It just need to work correctly with the MOB1. All i need.

Tags
mob, rescue