Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2007, 11:47   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Masthead Wind Instruments

Has anyone had any experience with the Raymarine Rotavecta masthead wind speed/direction sender? Any suggestions on an alternate NMEA 0183 wind instrument?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 12:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I had a TackTick in my last boat. I got it mostly because I really did not want to unstep the keel stepped mast. They retail at about $1400 and that is clearly a lot more but when you add the installation costs it's not so much. All you do to install is attach a bracket to the top of the mast head that allows the sender unit to be mounted and you are done. The receiver is wireless and watertight. Batteries are augmented with solar panels in both units and in the 3 years I owned it the batteries were never less than 100% full. They also have a NMEA interface and the wind meter can then do the rest of the wind computations for the ability to compute true wind speed and direction also possible. Repeaters are easily added as they only "join the wireless network. You can add as many as you like. Compared to the Raymarine ST290 series I think these are a better value.

As far as The ST60 Raymarine equipment goes it's been around a very long time. The Rotavecta is really for a power boat application design. I suppose the lower retail cost may be appealing but the ST60 plus is the Raymarine product to consider as the real alternative for the lowest cost Raymarine device.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 13:02   #3

The TackTick looks pretty cool. What's your thoughts on having the display sitting under a dodger? Think it will get enough ambient light?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 13:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The TackTick display worked fine at the helm in full sun. If you install it below you need to hardwire the 12 volts power. They have a connection to wire the display. I found the receiver would work about 6 boats away along the dock and any place aboard or below. Mine was detachable and I stored it below. Had I kept the boat I would have started replacing the rest of the instrumnets given the super easy installation. Depth and speed are tradictional transducers that need power wired to them however. The web site shows the diplays and they look like the pictures do in real life. They have done a great job with getting the power levels to a point where this technology can really work well. It does have a two year warranty on everything. You won't get that from anyone else.
Old 17-10-2007, 19:27   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Wireless masthead wind instruments sound like a good idea to me. I have had my Autohelm anemometer malfuction a few times when sailing offshore, and I feel crippled when I don't know the apparent wind speed and direction by looking at my instruments.

People vary significantly in their ability to gage wind speed and direction when they are on watch. But a wind instrument in front of them in the cockpit keeps everyone on the same page and keeps them honest about what's happening in their aquatic world.

Just before we sailed south from Gibraltar to the Canaries, the anemometer stopped spinning at the mast head. I climbed up to the top of the mast with a can of WD-40 and liberally lubicated it without much positive effect. It looked like I was going to sail transatlantic without the anemometer. I bit the bullet and went to the local chandlery and purchased an expensive handheld anemometer to use during the trip. We set off for the Canaries, and sure enough, within 24 hours, the masthead anemometer started spinning and has continued to spin ever since. Now I have a spare handheld anemometer on board.

I have two Aerogen 6 wind generators on our stern, and I use them to tell apparent wind direction when sailing offshore. I simply glance up and note their position, and immediately I have a good idea what's going on.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 15:11   #6

Boat: 36' Gozzard Cutter, Paraclete
I have a similar problem. I have a 36' Gozzard adn the mast head unit failed in both wind speed and diection. No dota is coming down the mast! They are instruments by Danaplus from Denmark. I understand they are out of business. does anyone know of anyone having replacements or repairing these units. Does anyknow of plug cojmpatible replacements?
Paul Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 15:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

This is a hard one. First, there is really no way of knowing if it is the transducer or the display head or the wires. A near lightning strike can usually fry a wind sensor easily.

Danaplus is of course no more though they sold a lot of stuff in Canada. It is doubtful the transducer can be repaired and I doubt you'll find a compatible match from something else. Was the unit original equipment from Gozard? If so call Mike. If there is any chance of finding one he would know.

While replacing the unit is a lot of work I was faced with this on our last boat and installed a TackTick wireless unit. If you can climb the mast it's a quick install but the units cost a lot more more. It did work quite well though.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Danaplus was KVH Europe's predecessor company, but KVH’s website seems to be “down” (they’ve had recent legal “problems”).
KVH Industries, Inc.
50 Enterprise Center, Middletown, RI 02842
Mobile Internet Satellite, Roaming, GPS Vehicle Tracking System

oops - try here:
Mobile Internet Satellite, Roaming, GPS Vehicle Tracking System

I didn't see any support for "legacy" products, but maybe ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09   #9

Boat: 36' Gozzard Cutter, Paraclete
Thank you, I have come to the same conclusion! Danaplus is dead and can find no reference to parts or repairs. I am presently trying to debug and repair the PC card in the masthead unit. Whith out a schematic it is difficult. I'm making some progress however. The quality and workmanship of the PC card is not the highest I've seen!
Paul Lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 19:24   #10

Boat: Aloha 28 "Gypsy"
I have a Danavigate 3200 that is not working, and an older 3200 in poor shape but useful for parts. The ribbon connection between the control panel and the PC board has failed.

Has anyone found any supplier of parts? Alternativey, does anyone know of another manufacturer's display unit that works with the Dana system?

Thanks.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:40   #11

Boat: Morgan 416 Dadidoc
Send a message via AIM to dadidoc
I just bought a full set of Maretron equipment, including the ultrasonic wind sensor. Gonna give it a try !
dadidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:57   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 38
I've been looking at the same thing, as it will share info into my NMEA 183 network.

Would you share your experience dadidoc?

Thanks for any info

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 08:56   #13

Boat: Morgan 416 Dadidoc
Send a message via AIM to dadidoc
Good Choice to Go Maretron - NMEA 2000 all the way

Masthead

SPORTBOARDS

Everything is hooked up and operational, everything is pure NMEA 2000 and it includes Wind Sensor (WSO100), Compass, Depth/speed/temp sensor, GPS sensor, USB Hub, and a color display/controller.

The USB hub pathed all the NMEA messages into my laptop running Coastal explorer. Coolest thing to see all your instruments shown in digital or analog dials on the screen - pick water temp, depth, speed thru water, speed over ground, apparent and true wind direction, humidity, dew point, barometric pressure ( and graph of same), air temp, mag heading, true heading, plus many more calculated values.

You can display all this on the DSM250 and you can use the DSM250 as a controller to set depth offsets, calibrate your compass, and have 15 more programmable favorite screens to have quarter, half , or full screen display in digital or analog for any of the NMEA signals. It is capable of water and fuel capacities, rudder angle, ANYTHING on the NMEA network. has night screen and lower power modes.

the laptop has N2k analyzer to look at all the devices.

Install started at top of mast, beginning of backbone using micro cable, down the mast, t-off to the depth/speed tranducer at base of mast, into engine room below center cockpit, there had a T and kind of hub out to compass, dsm250 display and USB hub to chart table, backbone continued to aft and installation of GPS sensor on stern rail where it terminated.

You only have one power connection in the network, you can hot plug and play devices. I leave the boat and quickly disconnect and stow the display below. I found a velcro connection in cockpit much better than drilling into deck. I HATE stuff in my face at the helm had no problem seeing even the quarter screens from the helm.

VERY cool stuff - VERY good tech support, good manuals, and they follow the NMEA 2000 spec. Raymarine and others stupidly created their own version of cable to hold you capture to their cabling and equipment - dumb when there is a standard trying to be employed.

My future autopilot will use the Maretron compass, and this is even preferred. The compass has a nmea 0183 cable port too. There are conversions to work with any of the companies who stupidly made their own cables. The maretron cables can be terminated with field connectors and you don't have to buys specific lengths. I bought some cables with factory terminations and then cut one end to apply a field connector where I fed through bulkheads and did not have the space to feed a connector.

I am very pleased and thrilled with my Maretron equipment and feel safe to add other equipments on the network - not necessarily maretron, but again, I feel safe and supported by Maretron.

They are the underdog taking on the big boys, but they have really good and supported equipment.

The programmable screens, ie, setting your own "red" zones on analog displays and all is really cool. You can download updates and control all your devices to the latest code. I am looking forward to the display/controller DSM250 and seeing its updates in years to come.

a good choice , very easy, very practical, an open architecture !

Mike Barnes
dadidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:37   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Thanks Dadidoc!

Great Info.

You have laid it out very similar to the way I was planning.

Thanks again for the detail.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 13:36   #15

Re: MASTHEAD WIND INSTRUMENTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lansing View Post
I have a similar problem. I have a 36' Gozzard adn the mast head unit failed in both wind speed and diection. No dota is coming down the mast! They are instruments by Danaplus from Denmark. I understand they are out of business. does anyone know of anyone having replacements or repairing these units. Does anyknow of plug cojmpatible replacements?
Saw your inquiry re Danaplus. I have a new Danaplus (Si-Tex 3100) multifunction display.
BRich is offline   Reply With Quote