Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:01   #1

Masthead Camera

How practical is it to mount a camera on the masthead to keep an eye on coral heads in tight quarters? Looked around here and didn't see any discussion. Seems like a great idea except the lens would get crud on it quickly with no easy way to clean it off......?

I'd use a drone but aren't that good with mine yet and it's not improving so fast. Plus it's hard to fly and drive!
Thanks.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08   #2

Re: Masthead Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
How practical is it to mount a camera on the masthead to keep an eye on coral heads in tight quarters? Looked around here and didn't see any discussion. Seems like a great idea except the lens would get crud on it quickly with no easy way to clean it off......?

I'd use a drone but aren't that good with mine yet and it's not improving so fast. Plus it's hard to fly and drive!
Thanks.

The new ish mavic will follow course automatically ((follows relevant to where controller is) point and shoot all hands free for about £1k. I'm saving up [emoji1303]
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I always have a hard time finding coral heads without polarized sunglasses. Does your proposed masthead camera have a polarizing lens?

On a related note, I was thinking a masthead camera with some type of level indicator and zoom would be useful to check bridge heights on the ICW for those close calls.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:28   #4

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
The new ish mavic will follow course automatically ((follows relevant to where controller is) point and shoot all hands free for about £1k. I'm saving up [emoji1303]

Phantom 4 is better.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:39   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I would think the dynamic range of available cameras might not be enough to be useful.

If you're focused on a display you aren't watching the world around you. This really is a two person job.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:49   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32

Mavic looks almost impossible to "catch by hand" for landing. Without cutting up your arms by the props, that is.

Phamtom 4 and 4 Pro look like much better choices to me. Catch the leg.
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 17:39   #7

I know a guy who bought a three pack of Uniden security cameras from a big box store for less than a couple hundred bucks which include IR night vision. He mounted them on the bow, masthead, and at the stern.

He said he used the bow one at night to navigate the ICW. Showed us video of the stern camera facing our boat behind him at the dock during hurricane Mathew, all I could see was driving rain but you could see the rain clearly.

Coral heads? Yeah maybe. Can get polarized filters at a camera store. Also, just having a top down perspective would be beneficial in most lighting conditions.

Dunno though how useful it would really be. Depends on the focal length of the lens and how wide of a view you have. Maybe as an extra but any one will tell you to never rely on a single navigational aid.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, head, mast