Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 09:52   #1

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M
Mast Mount for JRC 1000 ?

Hi, I'm sure there must be something here about mast mounting hardware here for the JRC 1000, but, I haven't been able to find it. Forgive me is this question is redundant and has been answered. Perhaps you can point me to the right thread. I've just purchased a 2K unit and I'd like to mount to my mast as opposed to mounting on a pole on the stern of my 25' sailboat. First, I'd like recommendations for "brackets"(preferably those that don't require drilling holes in the mast). Secondly, is it better to mount the display inside the cabin (my preference) or do most people mount it surface mount on the "dog house", binnacle, or ???. I have a tiller, not wheel steering. Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions ...
Old 27-02-2017, 14:13   #2

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Re: Mast Mount for JRC 1000 ?

I have attached two pitchers that’s shows how I have mounted my radar dome and display. It’s a JRC 1500 that’s have a .45 m dome, but else it’s the same as JRC 1000. The mounting allows me to tilt the dome ±15°.
I prefer to have the display in the cockpit so I fast can alter to lock at the screen or the reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	142102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	142103  

Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 14:38   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A bracket that mounts sans drilling would be tricky. Why the desire for such? And do you want a mount that allows for tilting of the radome? Tilting manually, or self-leveling? Also, why the opposition to a stern pole mount?

For the display, one common method is to mount it on a swing arm, so that you can use it both from the cockpit, & inside of the cabin. Or some folks will go so far as to put it on a flexible arm which can be swung; into the cockpit, up to a hatch which opens into the cockpit (including one in the aft end of the coach house), as well as pulled down to where it can be seen from the nav station.
Plus of course there's the option of multiple repeater screens.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 13:10   #4

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M

Quote:
Originally Posted by "[U
Lars_L[/U]"
I prefer to have the display in the cockpit so I fast can alter to lock at the screen or the reality; "UNCIVILIZED": Why the desire for a bracket that mounts sans drilling, and why the opposition to a stern pole mount? do you want a mount that allows for tilting of the radome? Tilting manually, or self-leveling?
Thanks Lars - Uncivilized! About the holes, I just have a natural aversion to the thought of drilling holes of any kind in a boat or it's mast. As for the mast, it just seems to me to be a compromise of it's strength and integrity. As for the boat, there's always the concern of a possible leak. Perhaps my concerns are unwarranted, but my boat is a small racer cruiser, it's hull and mast, thin and lightweight in comparison with it's larger cruiser cuzins and blue water yachts. I was just hoping (against hope perhaps) that there might be an alternative out there.

As regards the mounting of the radome, I'm new to radar and I've only just purchased this unit and the AIS, not having had time to read the manuals of either. Consequently, I wasn't aware of the need for tilt although, I was aware that some mounts were gimballed relevant to leveling. It appears it's time to go back to school! I would like to hear from any of you who wish to weigh in on the subject of tilt and levelling of the dome.

As for the stern mounting pole: my vessel motors with an outboard, I have no inboard engine. Additionally, I steer with a tiller, I have a split double backstay adjuster, and I have my ring buoy and life sling mounted on the rails. In brief, the stern and transom already make for very busy bits. Not the least of my concerns being in closer proximity to the radar beam than I would be if the dome were mounted on the mast. Finally, I'm also planning to mount my solar array off the stern. Since I'm something of a "Plebe", I'll open all of this up for discussion. The floor is open ....
Old 01-03-2017, 14:22   #5

Boat: Malö 116 39'

I was not aware that when I upload the image it was compressed that much and not longer possible to enlarge. Therefore I have enclosed two details of the mounting.
The radar-beam has a vertical width of 30°. When you sail against the wind the boot leans 15°, on one side the entire beam goes done in the water, and on the other side the beam goes up in the sky. By tilting the dome, you get the beam in the right direction. A self-levelling mount is nice, but how long will it work?
I believe that a bracket of some type is possible, but I think it will be quite heavy, and that means you will get higher loads on the mast. My brake needs six 4.2 mm holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar 01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	142243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar 02.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	142244  

Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags