Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 13:39   #1
F51

Marine grade LMR 400 coax

It is time to install the new VHF antenna. I have a 96' run from the top of the mainmast to the nav station. The old cable was RG8 which has a loss of 4.7dB per hundred feet at 150MHz. RG213 has a loss of 2.8 dB under the same conditions, while LMR400 shows only 1.5 dB loss. That is a significant enough difference to make it a candidate. However, I can't find any source for LMR400 in a marine version. I know that LMR is used extensively in some pretty harsh environments in cellular towers, so I am wondering if not having tinned conductors is a big deal. Anybody know where to obtain LMR400 in a marine version?
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 13:47   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Marine grade LMR 400 coax

I doubt if it's a big deal, providing the coax is properly terminated and waterproof.

However, I think you might be happy with LMR-400UF which has a tinned copper outer braid.

A good source is The RF Connection: therfc.com

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 13:58   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've used one type of LMR cable for an Amateur Radio setup once. Good cable. Had it up for 6yrs until I took my tower down and sold the house. Never any issues.

Another site you can try is: www.cablexperts.com
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:19   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I second Bill's opinion, I have installed LMR400UF (among others) on off-shore oil platforms and the like and it performs well in harsh exposed marine environments over the years providing the connectors are terminated properly and well sealed.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine