Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 10:15   #1

Manufacturers that work together

I have been doing research on a new radar and possibly other electronics. Do most talk together or should I stick with 1 brand. It really seems like the Furuno radars review the best. However, I would like to stick to Garmin MFD since they now own Navionics and can also use Active Captain.......or do those software work on any of the MFDs? Garmin radars seem to rate the worst although not bad just not as good as the others out there.

I would think this info should be easy to find but after a couple days of reading online and through the forums I am not finding clear answers.

Thanks in advance
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:16   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Manufacturers that work together

If you look at radars used by most fishermen it will be Furuno. If it works together with other manufacturers I don’t know, but I would be surprised if it is not NMEA 2000 compliant.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
If you look at radars used by most fishermen it will be Furuno. If it works together with other manufacturers I don’t know, but I would be surprised if it is not NMEA 2000 compliant.
Yeah, from what I have read that is what I was gathering. However, it doesn't seem they are all software nice to each other. So for example, I don't think all support Navionics on MFD which is now a Garmin company. What about Active Captain on other MFDs, etc. And ultimately, is it better to stick to 1 brand for all electronics or does NMEA 2000 make it a moot point?

This is all new to me.
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 11:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

To the best of my knowledge radar is restricted to an MFD from same manufacturer, so Garmin radar for Garmin MFD. Other stuff like your instruments (speed, wind, AIS, AP) will likely be linkable to an MFD by NMEA 2000. NMEA 2000 stuff will talk to each other, RM seatalk stuff will require a converter or adapter depending.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work