Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2011, 16:02   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: MacBook Pro and Windows Programs

I think it's worth to repeat the most important point of this thread: Mac & Windows run on the same hardware, so you can install Windows on a Mac and install MacOS on a Dell/HP/etc. machine. The thing is that the Apple hardware is pretty much as good as it comes, only topped by extreme hardware like Panasonic ToughBooks etc. For example, MacBook Pro's have what is called a "conformal coating" (wikipedia that) which is of real use/importance on boats.

About Windows 7 : You can legally download the install DVD's from Microsoft (for free!!). Find that on Google. These versions are 100% sanitized meaning there is no spam/trial software in there at all. This makes it fast and compact. You download ISO images from which you can burn bootable DVD media (on Mac, use Disk Utility for that), or use the image directly in Parallels to create a virtual machine.

To activate, you can buy a license key on-line from Microsoft, or you can research "my digital life windows loader forum" instead

p.s. I just installed a brand new Apple Time Capsule. This is a combination of extreme wifi access point for all the gadgets you have aboard, plus a hard disk, making it a NAS too. Mine has a 3 TB disk (!!). You can use that disk for backup's with Time Machine (it's actually meant for that). It really extreme... I see a 243Mbps wifilink on my MacBook Pro as I type this... goes up to 300Mbps and does simultaneous dual band 2.4 & 5 GHz (all Apple Mac/iPad etc. will select 5 GHz) It supports 802.11 a/b/g/n and WPA2 (only WPA2 or no security).

Don't forget the 8 GByte RAM if you want to use serious software under win7/VM.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:18   #17

Boat: Mason 44

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback...so what nav and other programs are you running on your Mac?

Bob
MSB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:23   #18

Nick,

Sounds like an interesting setup to explore...for WX are you just using GRIB files for Maxsea? Any separate WX programs running on the Mac?

Thanks again for your input.

Bob
Old 18-11-2011, 16:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We have a MacBook Pro with the same issues you mention. We started with Parallels to run Nobeltec and Airmail, but it was awful. Switched to Bootcamp and aside from it being a PITA to switch to the "other" side, it works fine. I'm concerned because I'm running Windows XP with Nobeltec 8.something that Nobeltec discontinued tech support on in August ... so when this computer crashes (it's 5 years old) we'll have to face the problem of not wanting to spend a small fortune for Nobeltec again... Until then, life is good. Cheers! Jan

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:56   #20

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB44
I'm tired of screen lockups, background programs telling me they had to shut down and are no longer working, spending hours on the phone with Microsoft support techs...however, nothing seems to be error free, so "before" I make such a major commitment to change, figure I should find out what I'm in store for...I may just retire my 4 year old Thinkpad and get a new one with Win 7.
That's exactly the reason we switched to all Apple products. They work amazingly well.

And if you happen to be near one of their retail stores - you will enjoy great service on your product. Nothing has gone wrong with my iMac, or MacBook - but my iPhone sleep button stopped working - they switched it out for a new one in under 60 seconds.

I highly recommend Apple products.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 17:10   #21

Sailagain,

Would you share what nav and other marine programs you are running and on what type of Mac setup?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 18-11-2011, 17:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB44 View Post
for WX are you just using GRIB files for Maxsea? Any separate WX programs running on the Mac?
The grib files for MaxSea are great. While underway you can use the "get via email" using shortwave or satellite communication. I use Airmail on Winlink2k so that is where I get my weather from normally (the weather fax files you can download). I used to have a weather fax receiver but it's hard to wait the full 2 hours for the transmission. I also used to get grib files from Winlink but will probably stop that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
We started with Parallels to run Nobeltec and Airmail, but it was awful. Switched to Bootcamp and aside from it being a PITA to switch to the "other" side, it works fine. I'm concerned because I'm running Windows XP with Nobeltec 8.something that Nobeltec discontinued tech support on in August ... so when this computer crashes (it's 5 years old) we'll have to face the problem of not wanting to spend a small fortune for Nobeltec again... Until then, life is good. Cheers! Jan
The Virtual Machine software of both VMware and Parallels came a long way and both are worthy to give another try. It'll work with anything now I think.

NobelTec was acquired by Furuno so it's TimeZero now.... basically same software as MaxSea and Furuno plotters. It's good and runs under Parallels.

When you switch from Windows to Mac, you start with this feeling of all the software you're gonna need to run under Windows. But when you have your Mac, you quickly forget about all the pain and sorrow and start using the Mac software that is included with it. I only run Airmail, MaxSea and some games under Windows.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB44
Sailagain,

Would you share what nav and other marine programs you are running and on what type of Mac setup?

Thanks,

Bob

There are many sailing Apps in the app store.

I have Navimatics charts and tides - great - with Active Captain data - which provides a lot of local knowledge about harbors and anchorages

Anchor Alarm - very useful

Wind Alert - data on all local wind speeds

Sunrise clock, tide apps

And there are many more in the app store which I haven't bought.

I have a MacBook Air, iMac, iPad and iPhone. The apps you buy on your mobile devices are the most useful in the field. And you only have to buy them once - and they will download to both devices.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:30   #24

from what I understand Mac book pro has a duel processor. You can do the mac thing or switch and do the pc thing. So for you pc programs you could use pc and mac for the rest.
I converted to Mac 8 years ago and have never had a problem with the unit. Am on the internet daily and run no virus programs and still everything OK. would never go back to the PC crap.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 17:33   #25

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

Not to stir up a Windows hornet nest, but now that you've decided to simplify your life, why not go all the way and wean yourself off of the Windows programs? You'll find a Mac program for any practical cruising application. MS Office will take care of most needs, and you've already identified two fine native Mac OS navigation programs.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 17:34   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
from what I understand Mac book pro has a duel processor. You can do the mac thing or switch and do the pc thing.
Ehrm.. no. Since many years now Mac has Intel CPU's. But many MacBook Pro's have dual GPU's (graphics chips)... they will use a low power integrated one and switch to a powerful one when a graphics program requires it. This is also where there is still a little pain when running under bootcamp: you only use the "big" graphics chip meaning the battery runs out much quicker.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
. Am on the internet daily and run no virus programs and still everything OK. would never go back to the PC crap.
Oh yeah. Its been so long - that I have totally forgotten its a huge feature. Imagine never having to worry about viruses. Hahaha. I haven't worry in so long I forgot that people have to worry about that

An no - I don't own any apple stock. Lol
Old 18-11-2011, 18:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Not to stir up a Windows hornet nest, but now that you've decided to simplify your life, why not go all the way and wean yourself off of the Windows programs? You'll find a Mac program for any practical cruising application. MS Office will take care of most needs, and you've already identified two fine native Mac OS navigation programs.
Well, I'm not certain i'm all the way there yet. MacENC looks interesting and has a lot of good features. I'd be interested in other recommendations for programs and/or setups (definitely like Jedi's "Time Capsule" setup)

Maxsea is a Windows program, has some nice features and a useful routing algorithm tool. As Jedi noted, the GRIB download via email is very useful.

Nobeltec is also a Windows program and also has some interesting features like interface with WxWorx which is also a Windows program. I do not think there is anything comparable to WxWorx in the Mac OS world just yet.

Thanks again for everyones comments and input. Lots of good information and items to consider. Keep 'em coming!

BUT...there must be some issues or complexities...it can be all that simple...or could it?
Old 19-11-2011, 01:31   #29

I have 3 Macs at home after switching from PC a few years ago. I run with parallels for the rare occasions I need windows XP and it works great.

I love my Mac BUT the battery life on my 15" MacBookPro s ****! I can't even keep it running for 3 hours. Maybe if I did nothing it would last longer, but what's the point. The quoted battery life is total BS in the real world, much like car fuel economy figures.

I would just buy a spare battery to extend the life when powerless but in their infinite wisdom Apple chose to make it non replaceable.

Worst of all, you can't simply get a car adapter and run of the boats 12v, you have to get a pure sine wave inverter.

I have totally gone off the idea of a Mac as an on board navi computer. In fact even for just surfing, watching movies when not powered up at a marina the battery life is a right pain. I found myself running the engine just to charge my mac.

If I was to us a computer for nav, I would get a pc that is cheap and suited to the environment.

Thankfully my iPad stepped in nicely and allowed me to do most things. If it was not for the lack of flash support and a few other issues with the iPad, then I would never lug my mbp down to Greece again
Old 19-11-2011, 01:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
I have 3 Macs at home after switching from PC a few years ago. I run with parallels for the rare occasions I need windows XP and it works great.

I love my Mac BUT the battery life on my 15" MacBookPro s ****! I can't even keep it running for 3 hours. Maybe if I did nothing it would last longer, but what's the point. The quoted battery life is total BS in the real world, much like car fuel economy figures.
So when you first bought it and it was under Warrenty - did you take it in for service (or call about the problem). What did they say?

The battery is replaceable - you just have to send it in and they will put in a new one if yours is defective.

There are also many after market vendors that make external battery packs that your machine can run off of