Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 09:17   #91

Re: Mac vs PC in marine environment

Have used Thinkpads since 2000, one for 5 yrs and another one for 5yrs. Both used at the nav station. They both still run fine.
Prairie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:22   #92

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the manufacturer.

In practice I've found that high-end PCs outlive Macs.

Look at people like Lenovo, for PC that will outlast any Mac.

I have one 44 years old, used at sea and till going strong - it was comparable in price to a high-end Mac
44 years old? 1978?

The IBM Personal Computer (model 5150, commonly known as the IBM PC) is the first microcomputer released in the IBM PC model line and the basis for the IBM PC compatible de facto standard. Released on August 12, 1981,
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:23   #93

Our Acer laptop has over 10 years of use on board. I replaced the hard drive with SSD. Not because of problems but because of speed. We now just replaced it with a Lenovo. My experience is that it will last as long as on land.
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 13:10   #94

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
44 years old? 1978?

The IBM Personal Computer (model 5150, commonly known as the IBM PC) is the first microcomputer released in the IBM PC model line and the basis for the IBM PC compatible de facto standard. Released on August 12, 1981,
Apple 2 and Commodore PET?
I had both an Apple 2 and a Vic 20 but I didn't have a boat.
Old 04-07-2022, 14:19   #95

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Apple 2 and Commodore PET?

I had both an Apple 2 and a Vic 20 but I didn't have a boat.

Let’s don’t forget also the Timex Sinclair, i had that before the Commodore 64. I argue that my HP41CV was very close of being a hand held computer…but I digress.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 15:25   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

well, I've been perusing laptops all day long online, plus a variety of laptop sites....learned a lot...

Seems like around $700 is the sweet spot to get something half way decent...though a variety of "sales" might give you a break here and there..

Was hoping for something a little less pricey, but.....16 and 512 ,plus a decent screen size and color quality, etc.....

I can see where the term " computer nerd " comes into play, watching some Youitube video's of people speaking...what seems to me...a foreign language
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 15:32   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Seems like around $700 is the sweet spot to get something half way decent...though a variety of "sales" might give you a break here and there..

Was hoping for something a little less pricey, but.....16 and 512 ,plus a decent screen size and color quality, etc.....
$700 is a reasonable budgetary figure. It can get you a reliable machine that is powerful enough to be useable even 5 years from now. I like Lenovo and ASUS.

Do watch for sales, or consider a refurbished model.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 21:05   #98

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
44 years old? 1978?

Well to be fair people keep saying they have mini computers
Must have a big boat and a huge amount of available power to run a mini computer
Old 04-07-2022, 21:13   #99

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Must have a big boat and a huge amount of available power to run a mini computer
The way that the post that I was commenting about is worded he has a 44 year old Lenovo, an impossibility. Lenovo bought the IBM PC product line long after the original PC was introduced.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:05   #100

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post

Umm, they’re referring to the Apple M1 Mini:

https://www.apple.com/au/mac-mini/
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:44   #101

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Why do people have this laptop fetish when it comes to onboard computing?
Dead screen = dead laptop.

I don't typically use my Macbook(s) when 'on passage' - you know - the Southern Ocean stuff.

My nav 'puters live in what one may consider a safe location.

My screen/display is at the chart table and exposed to a little bit of ambient.

I have lost a few of them in the 'marine environment' not because they got 'wet' but just because they got 'moist' and the moisture migrated south from the screen into where many of the working bits of the display live.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:35   #102
Marine Service Provider

You'll have to agree that the number of laptop options available are bewildering. Anything and everything is available. Finding one that has all the right components, the right screen, the right size, the right price is the trick.
I find that many laptops have a lot of good features, but then cheap out on some other component.
Anyway, the search goes on. It's time consuming and tiresome
Old 05-07-2022, 05:07   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Why do people have this laptop fetish when it comes to onboard computing?
Dead screen = dead laptop.
Agreed; I would never rely on a laptop as an essential boat component. I wouldn't consider one for a primary boat computer; but as "the computer I use when I'm on the boat", and in that regard, if you keep it in a good padded case and only have it out when you're using it, it should have about the same lifespan as ashore.

For a "boat computer" for navigation, instruments, I would definitely lean towards the small industrial computers running Linux. A laptop would of course be useable as an additional terminal, too.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:17   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
You'll have to agree that the number of laptop options available are bewildering. Anything and everything is available. Finding one that has all the right components, the right screen, the right size, the right price is the trick.
You have to list out everything you hope or need to do with this computer, all the software you hope to run, then go through the list to try to winnow it down as much as possible.

With that list, go to a site like Tom's Hardware, which will help you select the computers that best match your profile.

The good news is that just about anything midrange will do all of the basic stuff that people usually do.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:54   #105
Marine Service Provider

thanks, I appreciate that..I know I can't select on my own, and need advice and guidance. as i'm bound to get the wrong thing on my own. I'll give that site a looksee.

Tags
environment, marine, men