Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 02:28   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Angry M802, M402, NMEA, GPS (DSC), Problems

Help ,

I have connected the GPS NMEA0183 data from the GPS to the Icom M402 VHF and all is good; however when I connect the same data to the Icom M802 HF, the 802 won't accept it.

It seems to me that the 402 will accept NMEA ver. 2 while the 802 requires NMEA ver. 3 and of course my ancient GPS only outputs NMEA ver 1.5 and ver. 2.

Does anyone know of a simple fix (like new software for the 802) or a way to fool something somewhere?

Supplementary question (perhaps rhetorical), why would Icom design one radio to accept ver. 2 and the other to accept ver. 3 considering the radios are the same age and the GPS data is really only there for the DSC?

Grr....

Or have I missed something basic ?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:52   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
This tickled my memory....I'm not sure your problem is a NMEA version issue, more likely a NMEA statement problem. If I remember, the 802 will only accept position in the GGL statement. ICOM has good tech support so you can verify with them. Make sure your GPS is putting out the GGL statement.

Also make sure you have the polarity correct on the connection.

Good Luck!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 20:02   #3

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
You may be able to find some of the information you need here:

Upgraded Electronics

This is not my web page, I just came across it researching the same problem you are encountering.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:55   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
This tickled my memory....I'm not sure your problem is a NMEA version issue, more likely a NMEA statement problem. If I remember, the 802 will only accept position in the GGL statement. ICOM has good tech support so you can verify with them. Make sure your GPS is putting out the GGL statement.

Also make sure you have the polarity correct on the connection.

Good Luck!
Yes this is correct. Icom finally got back to me and the 802 requires GGL while the 402 does not. My old GPS does not output GGL. My solution was a cheap(ish) new self contained GPS engine that only has a NMEA output
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes this is correct. Icom finally got back to me and the 802 requires GGL while the 402 does not. My old GPS does not output GGL. My solution was a cheap(ish) new self contained GPS engine that only has a NMEA output
Glad you got it sorted. BTW NMEA or version of is not the issue here, it's the specific sentences within the NMEA protocol. GGA, GGL & RMC sentences (to quote just the popular ones) all contain position data as well as varying amounts of related data. Fortunately most GPS engines output (or can be configured to output) all of these sentences.

ICOM in their great wisdom pick & choose which of these sentences their products will accept & gate out others. This wouldn't be so bad if they always chose the same one.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48   #6

Boat: Leopard 43
Re: M802, M402, NMEA, GPS (DSC), Problems

I am having this same problem with the M802 not reading the GPS signal. What brand/model of GPS did you find that will work with the M802?
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:01   #7

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: M802, M402, NMEA, GPS (DSC), Problems

It has been a while since I had to mess with it, but I think the M802 looks for the GGA sentence on NMEA. Other position sentences don't work. I use an old Garmin GPSMAP60 handheld wired to ship's power to provide the GGA sentence to my radios. Makes a nice low power quicky screen available in the nav station when all other electronics are off too, esp for watching swing on the anchor.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, nmea