Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 10:33   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Lowrance 3G radar to tablet.

Hi all, first let me apologize for my lack IT know how.

Ive got an old Raytheon radar that I dont like and dont use. Im upgrading to a Lowrance 3G unit. Decided I want that always on watch crew member.

Now im fairly certain im smart enough (maybe) to get it hooked up via a ethernet cable to the Pc running Opencpn once i download the radar plug in.

Instead of using the Pc can I somehow run the radar on a tablet (opencpn or other program) via some sort of ethernet to wifi convertor?

I really know very little about this stuff.

Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:39   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Lowrance 3G radar to tablet.

to do what you want, you need a lowrance scanner and a lowrance MFD. Then you download the Navico link app to mirror the screen of the MFD.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
to do what you want, you need a lowrance scanner and a lowrance MFD. Then you download the Navico link app to mirror the screen of the MFD.
Hmmm, more than i want to do. Think I'll stick to the Pc....KISS.
Old 20-12-2018, 10:46   #4

Boat: Riva 48

You can get a Windows tablet (circa $100) which will have more than enough power to run Open CPN and the radar plugin. Also, check with the OpenCPN developers to see if the Android version can/will be able to run the plugins.

The good thing about the cheap Windows tablets is that they are disposable, have two of them. The bad thing is that their displays suck in direct sunlight.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:50   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You can get a Windows tablet (circa $100) which will have more than enough power to run Open CPN and the radar plugin. Also, check with the OpenCPN developers to see if the Android version can/will be able to run the plugins.

The good thing about the cheap Windows tablets is that they are disposable, have two of them. The bad thing is that their displays suck in direct sunlight.

SV Pizzazz

Do the radar plug-ins support Ethernet domes? WiFi domes? Who’s domes specifically?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Do the radar plug-ins support Ethernet domes? WiFi domes? Who’s domes specifically?
Im assuming your asking how to connect the ethernet up to the windows tablet? Is that what a ethernet dome does?
Old 20-12-2018, 11:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

There are a few ways to do what you want...

If you want the Radar display on a PC (No Tablet)

1.) Garmin or B&G/Navico Radar + PC with OpenCPN

2.) Furuno NavNet MFD + Furuno Radar + TimeZero Navigator on PC

For Radar on Tablet (no PC)

3.) Raymarine MFD + Raymarine Quantum Radar + iPad

4.) Furuno DRS4W WiFi Radar + iPad

If you want PC and Tablet both there are limited options.

a.) Use VNC on the PC and Tablet to remote contol the PC from your Tablet

b.) Use a Windows-based Tablet (like a Windows Surface) running another copy of TZ Navigator or OpenCPN.

Lastly, another option..

Rosepoint Coastal Explorer can show display Radar tracked targets on the charts, which most radar/MFD systems can send over NMEA. If you installed any radar with ARPA (automatic target acquisition/tracking) such as the Icom Radar, certain Furuno units, and some of the newest Raymarine devices, then you could have a dedicated Radar display or via an MFD, and then a PC running Rosepoint with AIS, DSC, and Radar Target objects on screen.
Old 20-12-2018, 11:34   #8

Boat: RM 1200

I do this with the B&G 4G and OpenCPN. No plotter involved.

First I connected the radar ethernet interface and the computer running OpenCPN to a wifi router. I use a regular home model that feeds off 12V (so much cheaper than the marine stuff I just carry a spare in case the first one dies).
Then I got the radar plugin for OpenCPN working so everyting worked on the computer.
To get it to an ipad, smartphone or whatever device I connect the iPad to the computer at the navstation using Remote desktop. I use a protocol called RDP, iPad app RD client. There is other remote desktop protocols as well, but RDP is simple with Windows.
This works well for me. Only drawback is that with the protocols and apps I use at the moment I cant use both the computer and Ipad at the same time. Log in on one, the other is logged out. Probably possible to fix, have not been annoyed enough about it yet to bother.
Worth mentioning, the way the radar tramsmits data, it adjusts to the slowest unit connected if you try to use opencpn on a windows tablet directly it might be slow at updating. I have not had any problems with lag on the radar, but if you have to buy any of the wireless equipments I think it is a good Idea to make sure it supports 5GHz a/c standards transmissions to avoid possible bottlenecks with the old b/g standards.
Tabaqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 12:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
There are a few ways to do what you want...
I found the reply above confusing, let me try to clarify it for you:

All digital radars (post c. 2012) send their data via Ethernet, wired or wireless. This data can be displayed either on the MFD or via OpenCPN. OpenCPN supports Navico (3G/4G), Garmin and Raymarine. The Raymarine plugin is unofficial and you need to compile it yourself but it works. I have tried it. You do not need an MFD but it is always nice to have one.

Any PC or Windows tablet than runs Open CPN can display the radar data, it does not matter if it is wired or wireless but wired always works better.

You can also use a solution provided by the original vendor that typically involves a tablet connecting to the MFD (lots of lag and limited functionality)

Solutions that rely on exporting a radar target via NMEA, then to the PC also work but this is not really what you are asking for. This is a very specialized function - I think it comes from the old days where you need to send the target to the fire control computers, not really useful for us.

SV Pizzazz
Old 20-12-2018, 21:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hmmm, more than i want to do. Think I'll stick to the Pc....KISS.

the most simple way would be the radar and the intended screen, and intended app for the tablet, all made by the same company for that purpose.

trying to do it by hacking 3rd party venders with computers is the opposite of simple. (not saying it won't work, but KISS would be buy the MFD)
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 22:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the most simple way would be the radar and the intended screen, and intended app for the tablet, all made by the same company for that purpose.

trying to do it by hacking 3rd party venders with computers is the opposite of simple. (not saying it won't work, but KISS would be buy the MFD)

Actually, I believe you are incorrect on this one. The radar is digital, the output and the controls are just IP commands. Most vendors do not allow direct access from the tablet to the radar because they want to make you buy the MFD. So they route the IP packets through the MFD which introduces a delay. It is very obvious if you look at the tablet and the MFD at the same time. This is what vendor lock does for you.

SV Pizzazz

Tags
radar