Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 16:24   #1

Losing depth readings after 80m please help!!

Hi all,

I purchased a boat 2 years ago with a raymarine e80 screen, DSM 300 sounder module and thru hull airmar b164 transducer. Fantastic soundings at all speeds and at depths up to 80m. I've been going further out lately and started to notice that I lose all info after I go deeper than 80m, drifting or going over slow. Heard about issues with the dsm 300 module so I got a new CP370 from raymarine. No difference. It's 1kw setup so it should do 500m easily. I've increased ping speed, changed from 200 to 50hz, left it in auto settings, turned it off, reset settings, increased gains. Have I missed anything. The depth display just flashes and shows nothing until I go shallow again.
Any ideas??
Fishmn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:36   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Losing depth readings after 80m please help!!

One thing that comes to mind is maybe the transducer is fouled.

Another thing is if you have a drop off at say 60m. How deep is the water actually when you lose the readout?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:51   #3

I thought it might be the face of the transducer but when I inspected it there was no sign go of fouling. Maybe a wipe or light sand just to make sure. 50-60m is where I do most of my soundings and it's perfect. Picks up everything on the bottom, but at 80-100m it starts blinking and reads nothing. My cheap hummingbird is still reading 100
Fishmn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 17:56   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmn28 View Post
Hi all,

I purchased a boat 2 years ago with a raymarine e80 screen, DSM 300 sounder module and thru hull airmar b164 transducer. Fantastic soundings at all speeds and at depths up to 80m. I've been going further out lately and started to notice that I lose all info after I go deeper than 80m, drifting or going over slow. Heard about issues with the dsm 300 module so I got a new CP370 from raymarine. No difference. It's 1kw setup so it should do 500m easily. I've increased ping speed, changed from 200 to 50hz, left it in auto settings, turned it off, reset settings, increased gains. Have I missed anything. The depth display just flashes and shows nothing until I go shallow again.
Any ideas??
Why not ask the manufacturer?

What sort of boating are you doing that you need to know depths greater than that? In my boating experience, I only need to know that it's shallow enough to anchor and deep enough that I won't go aground.
Old 10-04-2017, 18:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why not ask the manufacturer?

What sort of boating are you doing that you need to know depths greater than that? In my boating experience, I only need to know that it's shallow enough to anchor and deep enough that I won't go aground.
Prawning in BC is often carried out in 90 to 100m depths.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fishmn.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:46   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

It could also be that the bottom is of the type that does not generate a strong response?

I mean probably the returning signal is a proxy for radio hardness of the bottom. Say rock can be read at 100 m but ooze at only 80?

Our in-hull mounted (but thru hull type) Ray reads to about the same depth as your sensor but it did read to about 120 meters back in Sweden.

So, my guess is age/condition of the sensor may count or else there is a big variation in how strong an echo you get depending on what the bottom is made out of.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 12:42   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My old Stowe sounder would only show to 80 metres. My newish Raymarine ST60+ runs out to about 140 metres and then just sits on the last reading with a small 'last' in the top left corner...... until it picks up a fish or some kelp or a thermocline and shows 3 metres and scares the bejaabbers out of me....
Old 16-04-2017, 21:31   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Fishmn28, check all your wiring connections and battery voltage.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, lease