Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 09:31   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
Looking for a low noise 12v USB charger

I'm looking to install some bulkhead mounted USB chargers, like the Blueseas one below. Some of the reviews of it complain about RFI on SSB frequencies. I don't want to add anymore RFI to the boat. Anyone know of a good low RFI charger?
Old 20-09-2016, 09:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Looking for a low noise 12v USB charger

I am not trying to be cute, but install a cigarette lighter receptacle and then plug in a dual USB charger, unplugged of course it won't be noisy. You can then use it for other things like charging a handheld or whatever else uses a cigarette lighter plug.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I am not trying to be cute, but install a cigarette lighter receptacle and then plug in a dual USB charger, unplugged of course it won't be noisy. You can then use it for other things like charging a handheld or whatever else uses a cigarette lighter plug.
I already have a number of them. They all end up dying after awhile or end up making poor connections to the cig lighter. Its less of a mess if there was a built in outlet.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:44   #4

Boat: Allied 39
Looking for a low noise 12v USB charger

We have a blue sea cig plug in dual USB charger and have been using it for a couple of years. no SSB interference at all. Never had any issues with it becoming loose or breaking the connection with the cig lighter receptacle

I did see a combo 110v wall outlet that contained two USB plugs. Google Hubble USB receptacle. These replace the normal wall receptacle but then you have to have 110v running to it. I like the 12v solution as I don't need the inventor to be on.

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 21-09-2016, 09:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have 5 lighter receptacles, one in the bow and one in cockpit, one at the Nav desk and I have installed two in the fwd Stateroom to run our CPAP machines.
The one in the bow and cockpit I think were factory installs, if so that makes them 30 yrs old and they work.
Lighter receptacles are bad about what you plug into them not keeping a good contact, and contrary to what you would think, I don't think you can pull significant amps through them, things like portable coolers are better off using a "real" plug etc. But for USB chargers I have found them to work fine, the one beside the chart table I have a four USB charger plugged into it most of the time, and when we are away from the boat I plug in an air Purifier, something that I feel I may have wasted money on, I don't think it does much really
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have a blue sea cig plug in dual USB charger and have been using it for a couple of years. no SSB interference at all. Never had any issues with it becoming loose or breaking the connection with the cig lighter receptacle

I did see a combo 110v wall outlet that contained two USB plugs. Google Hubble USB receptacle. These replace the normal wall receptacle but then you have to have 110v running to it. I like the 12v solution as I don't need the inventor to be on.

jacaranda-journey
Is it the unit I pictured above?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:15   #7

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Is it the unit I pictured above?

Hi Paul. No it's Blue Sea Model 1017.
Chuck

www.jacarandajourney.com