Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 09:28   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Long Range Cruising-Ham License Renew?

I have been out 14 years and a ham for 14 years. I did renew on line.

BUT saying that the rules have changed a lot for USA ham license holders. I used winlink a lot in the Med and Black Sea when wifi was not available and i was underway. After the recent FCC ruling on the pactor modem I find a ham license a waste of time.

When crossing the Atlantic this past January I sent winlink emails to Chris Parker for weather. We were getting the snot kicked out of us. Chris was out of radio range but winlink worked.

I got a nasty message from AARL i was to immediatly cease and desist from using winlink to contact Chris as he is a for profit operation and if i need to do that i should get a sat phone. I tired to email friends that i was leaving the Med and all of them bounced as the USA does not have agreements with most countries.

In my opinion SSB and ham is for those who want to play with bouncing signals but for serious cruisers is not worth the money.

When AARL tells me that i need a Sat Phone for going off shore if i want to communicate that says it all --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:16   #17

Be sure to pick a mail forwarding service that wil open and scan the letters so you can work with them online. Forwarding the letters by snail mail internationally rarely works. St. Brendan's Isle is one example: https://www.sbimailservice.com/mail-scan-pro/

Except during passage, assume that you will have good internet service to get your mail. Be sure to get a scanner app for your phone. For service, I'd recommend getting Google Fi and then also buying a local Sim for 2nd phone at each port.

On passage, it's likely you don't really need to collect renewal notices and the like. But if you insist on this, Iridium Go seems to be the least frustrating solution that comes at a reasonable cost. You can't surf the web but email, weather and phone calls work well.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:57   #18

Boat: Contessa 32

I’m a member of the AARL and have gotten reminders for me to renew my license for the past 30+ years. I’m not sure what their policy is regarding notifications outside the USA but I’m reasonably sure they send the reminder to the address on your license.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
BUT saying that the rules have changed a lot for USA ham license holders. I used winlink a lot in the Med and Black Sea when wifi was not available and i was underway. After the recent FCC ruling on the pactor modem I find a ham license a waste of time.
l --
I was not aware of the FCC ruling on the pactor modem. Thanks!
Old 30-07-2020, 13:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Be sure to pick a mail forwarding service that wil open and scan the letters so you can work with them online. Forwarding the letters by snail mail internationally rarely works. St. Brendan's Isle is one example: https://www.sbimailservice.com/mail-scan-pro/

Except during passage, assume that you will have good internet service to get your mail. Be sure to get a scanner app for your phone. For service, I'd recommend getting Google Fi and then also buying a local Sim for 2nd phone at each port.

On passage, it's likely you don't really need to collect renewal notices and the like. But if you insist on this, Iridium Go seems to be the least frustrating solution that comes at a reasonable cost. You can't surf the web but email, weather and phone calls work well.
All good advice! Thanks for the link.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:13   #21

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

I don’t have a ham license just my restricted operator’s certificate (maritime). My intent is to sail around the world. Should I get a ham?
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
I don’t have a ham license just my restricted operator’s certificate (maritime). My intent is to sail around the world. Should I get a ham?
Not unless you wish to get the Ham license for its own sake. If you get your operator's cert for SSB, there is no real benefit for Ham for strictly maritime use. To operate frequencies useful in long range voice communications (below 30Mhz), you need a General Class license. Although it's a lot easier to get to that class than it used to be, you still have to get the Technician Class license first. This is not a big deal but it there is studying involved and testing to undergo (no code anymore).

Equipment is expensive. If you haven't already bought your SSB set, you could obtain a unit that legally operates on both SSB Marine frequencies and Amateur Radio HF frequencies. The Icom - 802 or 803 is an example. These puppies are in the $2500 range, not counting the antenna tuner which I wouldn't leave home without.

With all of the reasonably cost sat nav options available for texting, tracking and weather capabilities, I'm not sure that I would bother with installing a rig on a boat. I do have an HF rig but FCC does not rate it for maritime use (if I read the regs correctly). Therefore I would have to purchase one of the above or similar. Given the cost of InReach and Iridium Go, it may not make much sense. If I had the money to throw around, sure, but I don't. I'd rather buy a Hydrovane or a watermaker (or even better a few LiFePO4 batteries).

Hope that this helps.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I got a nasty message from AARL i was to immediatly cease and desist from using winlink to contact Chris as he is a for profit operation... When AARL tells me that i need a Sat Phone for going off shore if i want to communicate that says it all --
No, all that says is that amateur radio is for AMATEUR use. You cannot use it for any sort of business transactions, which is what your subscription with Chris is. Every licensed ham should know this already.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:20   #24

[QUOTE=kmgiunta;3199137]Not unless you wish to get the Ham license for its own sake. If you get your operator's cert for SSB, there is no real benefit for Ham for strictly maritime use. To operate frequencies useful in long range voice communications (below 30Mhz), you need a General Class license. Although it's a lot easier to get to that class than it used to be, you still have to get the Technician Class license first. This is not a big deal but it there is studying involved and testing to undergo (no code anymore).

Equipment is expensive. If you haven't already bought your SSB set, you could obtain a unit that legally operates on both SSB Marine frequencies and Amateur Radio HF frequencies. The Icom - 802 or 803 is an example. These puppies are in the $2500 range, not counting the antenna tuner which I wouldn't leave home without.

With all of the reasonably cost sat nav options available for texting, tracking and weather capabilities, I'm not sure that I would bother with installing a rig on a boat. I do have an HF rig but FCC does not rate it for maritime use (if I read the regs correctly). Therefore I would have to purchase one of the above or similar. Given the cost of InReach and Iridium Go, it may not make much sense. If I had the money to throw around, sure, but I don't. I'd rather buy a Hydrovane or a watermaker (or even better a few LiFePO4 batteries).

Hope that this helps.[/QUOTE

I agree totally. I started out 14 years ago with a ham and full ssb capability and used it and winlink until a year ago when it became worthless. You can not send emails via winlink from most of the world and when you need it the most it is not available.

Even the AARL acknowledges that if you are going off shore get a Satphone. That says it all. It has become a place for techies to sit and play and bounce signals to one another but it is not usefully at all for offshore sailors -- at least Americans.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, all that says is that amateur radio is for AMATEUR use. You cannot use it for any sort of business transactions, which is what your subscription with Chris is. Every licensed ham should know this already.

Interesting in that in 2013 when i crossed no one cared. What you are really saying is ssb is worthless for the offshore sailor and to that i will agree. Seven years in the Med and all ok then the pactor mess and aarl screwed it up and now crossing back over i assumed i could get weather from Chris but no that can not be done but i did continue as i had no other choice at the time unless you want me to sail across the Atlantic with no weather -- yea i know it is my fault -- and that is why i advise everyone to never put an ssb on you boat -- it is a huge waste of money.
OH and by the way because i have my ham license it is "technically" illegal for me to talk to Chris on the radio isn't it.

What you are also saying is if i send a message to Bob Bitchen of lats and atts that is illegal -- so basically everything is illegal except for talking to other aarl members. Even sending a note to my brother who is a lawyer is illegal as he is by defination a for profit --

NO ssb has outlived it's usefullness
Old 02-08-2020, 10:47   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

well back in the day....you also had the A T &T " high seas radio telecoms"....Remember WOM, WOO and KMI.....bit the bullet back in 1999 I believe....that is 20 years ago now...they would patch you into wherever you want to go....

...kinda speaks to the demise of SSB radio....

still a few Ham nets around, but nothing like the old days......when a dozen or more Hams would offer a phone patch to connect you to anyone you wanted...pretty much mostly all gone now....

...I believe the USCG still monitors some SSB bands, but I have never known anyone to use these.....

nah, I believe SSB/Ham voice communication on a boat has been pretty much given a burial at sea...not to say no-one uses them for voice anymore.....but.....many other preferred options exist now..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 17:42   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Was thinking more about this issue...

I grew up with cars that had a manual gearshift....automatics were relatively unknown.
back in the day...it was " four on the floor"....later " five on the floor".....sometimes, steering column shifts......but still manual....a clutch pedal...c'mon, when is the last time you've seen a clutch pedal in a car...???

Fast forward to today....when is the last time you either saw or drove a car with a manual box...??....c'mon, think hard.......how many people do you know that could even drive a car with a manual box...eh ??

What happened to manual box is what has happened to SSB/Ham.....time has come and gone.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:35   #28

Boat: Catalina 470

Wow! There is a lot of frustration voiced here (some understandable), and unfortunately some misinformation propagated.

I originally was just going to send Keith a private message, pointing him to some helpful / clarifying info....but, with all the ancillary postings here, I thought maybe many of you could use this...

I assume Keith never expected his innocent question regarding ham license renewal to drift off onto arguments about Maritime HF comms, ham HF comms, etc...and I certainly don't wish to contribute to the devolution...but, maybe a quick story about ham radio from my childhood would be cool? (see my P.S. at the bottom of this posting, for a VERY short and fun story)

And also, I'd like to offer some open, honest advice, but most importantly some hard facts that might help?

(Keith, KB2LDM, please read #2 below....as you've getting some misleading info)

1) First off, I'd like to offer Chuck an apology on behalf of the entire amateur radio community!

And, I would like to help.
(btw, I cannot use the language here that I'd like to use to describe how frustrating this is to me....just hope you all will see it)

{In full disclosure, even though I've been a member of the ARRL since 1974 (except for a one year lapse), I find some of their policies and more importantly some of the anal-retentive weasels that work there, or are "volunteers", to be detrimental to the health of the Amateur Radio Service!

And, if Chuck forwards me the details of this incident / message, I will gladly take up the challenge of kicking some of these sleaze-ball's butts, and getting them to apologize to him directly!}

Please let me give a brief overview:

While, under both US law and International Law, use of the Amateur Radio Service for commercial communications has never been allowed, it is unfortunate that many of my fellow hams are unaware...

(and, yes, using Winlink to request / receive forecasts from Chris Parker is commercial communications....especially since there are two other ways to use the "maritime mobile service" to complete these communications....sat comm has little to do with this issue)

And, while Chuck could've used other means (Voice or Data communications thru the Maritime Mobile Service, either directly to Chris Parker [Chris is licensed for this], or via Sailmail, Mailasail, etc., or use of other commercial communications system, such as sat comm, to communicate with Chris Parker)....
Or made use of other weather info / forecasts (WeFax, SafetyNET broadcasts, or USCG SSB Voice, ham radio nets, etc.)....
Or made direct contact with USCG via HF-DSC-SSB radio (who will provide weather info/forecasts, via SSB Voice, and FSK-SITOR, upon request)....
It is not up to some random ham operator to second-guess the decisions made by the captain in command of his vessel at sea, in sourcing weather info in order to protect the life and safety of his crew and vessel!

{To be clear, the only FCC special restriction on PACTOR on the HF ham bands, relate to PACTOR-4's symbol rate....(not PACTOR I, II, or III...just IV).

And the FCC issued a wavier (in 2018, and extended it in Sept 2019) allowing PACTOR-4 on HF ham bands, exclusively for weather forecasts and storm relief efforts, etc.....

So, it is extremely doubtful the issue that Chuck was contacted about was the use of a PACTOR modem, at all....
But rather use of the Amateur Radio Service (ham radio frequencies) to connect for commercial purpose...which has always been verboten! }

Let's remember the ARRL isn't a gov't agency (it's our non-profit ham radio organization) and shouldn't be involved in enforcement ...BUT...

But, like much of the US Federal Gov't, the bureaucracy at the FCC has become the driving force in their agency, rather then they actually doing the job the agency is supposed to do.
And with so-called "budget-cuts" (how a smaller than requested increase can be called a "cut" is a whole 'nother discussion!), the FCC (and other agencies) relies on private sector / self-reporting / word of honor / etc. for monitoring and enforcement. (here is also why we have so much devastating RFI plaguing our radio waves these days...'cuz there is nobody of integrity actually enforcing the rules!)

In the realm of the Amateur Radio Service, this means hams policing themselves to an even greater extent than has been traditional...

Now, with a cursory look at the Amateur Radio Service, this seems like a good idea, as hams have traditionally done just this since the early days of radio (even before the US Gov't issued ham licenses, radio geeks were helping each other)....

As hams are licensed for these 5 reasons (under US and Int'l Law)....it seems like hams should be able to do this? Right?

Quote:
97.1 Basis and purpose.-
The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.
Versus the purpose / applications of the Maritime Mobile Service (again under US and Int'l Law):
From the FCC:
Quote:
The Maritime Mobile Service is an internationally-allocated radio service providing for safety of life and property at sea and on inland waterways.

It includes the Maritime Mobile Service, the Maritime Mobile-Satellite Service, the Port Operations Service, the Ship Movement Service, the Maritime Fixed Service, and the Maritime Radiodetermination Service.

These services classify the different types of marine radio communications. Together, shipboard and land stations in the marine services are meant to serve the needs of the entire maritime community.
BUT....
But, two issues collided to make this difficult (a- reduction of ham licensing standards / ease of obtaining a ham license / lack of understanding of ham rules & regs....and b- less-than-honest folks promoting / selling "ham radio", ham equipment, modems, etc. for purposed they are not designed for and/or not legal for)...

And, a third issue has come up (human nature of those tiny minority of folks/hams that say they want to help, but rather just wish to feel superior and tell others what to do, joining the "Volunteer Monitoring" program) that has stirred everything up in a "perfect storm"...

This third issue might not have been much of an issue if it was just the old/friendly ARRL Official Observer program ("OO"), which was there for many, many decades (almost 90 years!) just to help hams, point them to problems / issues they may have with their transmission....

{fyi, my best friend got a note 20 some years ago from an ARRL OO, about a "chirp" he had on his CW transmissions....which he traced to a power-supply problem that he quickly solved....ironic that the other hams he was in QSO with, ignored his poor signal and gave a "9" for a tone report in his RST reports....so the old OO program worked pretty well.}

But, September 30, 2019 was the "official" end of the almost century long tradition of hams helping hams, with the closing of the old Official Observer program, giving way to the new Volunteer Monitoring program (and turning loose the weasels and thugs to intimidate and threaten, rather than guide and advise).

What happened is the FCC and ARRL decided to change things.....and, in my opinion, give the ARRL way too much power!
And, in turn gave rise to nasty, authoritarian, weasels to patrol the airwaves like the.... (well, you get the picture, don't you?)
These are the ignorant a-holes that sent Chuck his cease and desist message!

Let's all remember these old sayings:
"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!" {Lord John Acton}
And, who could forget chairman Mao's "[Political] power grows out of the barrel of a gun" (these days instead of a gun, a keyboard works)

And, the yahoos at the FCC and ARRL have given this power (from a keyboard) to some that have no clue...and have no love of radio!!

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Volunteer%20Monitor/2019%20ARRL%20MOU%20-%20final%203-12.pdf

Quote:
Approved by the ARRL Board of Directors at its July 2018 meeting, the new Volunteer Monitor program is a formal agreement between the FCC and ARRL in which volunteers trained and vetted by the ARRL will monitor the airwaves and collect evidence that can be used both to correct misconduct or recognize exemplary on-air operation. Cases of flagrant violations will be referred to the FCC by the ARRL for action in accordance with FCC guidelines.

The intent of this program is to re-energize enforcement efforts in the Amateur Radio bands. It was proposed by the FCC in the wake of several FCC regional office closures and a reduction in field staff.

Under this program, the FCC will give enforcement priority to cases developed by the Volunteer Monitor program, without the delay of ARRL having to refer cases through the FCC online complaint process.
So, I again extend an apology to Chuck on behalf of all my fellow hams, and offer my assistance in reaming a few.

2) The second thing here in this thread, is Keith's question on licensing....although his original question / issue has been resolved, nobody mentioned / asked a few important things here (the lack of which might be unintentionally misleading Keith):

a) In order for any US licensed ham to use the Amateur Radio Service in most other countries (where we have reciprocal licensing agreements), or to have long-range HF band privileges in these countries, requires the ham to have an Extra Class license, not simply a General Class license!
Of course, in international waters, a General Class license might suffice, but it's not really accepted as proof of competence in most countries...

{discussion of the reduction of licensing standards / dumbing-down of the US ham community, is way off topic here, and something I don't have for anyway}

b) The vast difference in purpose / use between the Maritime Mobile Service and the Amateur Radio Service...
And, depending upon what Keith's desires / applications are for communications, this will effect what communications service would best serve him? (maybe, like many of us, he'll want both....but nobody asked / informed him)

Nobody asked him what type of comms does he need / desire?

Who, where, when does he desire to communicate to/with?

Is this primarily for Safety, Weather, "cruising camaraderie", etc. (which are of course best served by the Maritime Mobile Service)....

Or, are his desires more of a technical / engineering nature, public service nature, to build / advance the training of radio operators and advance radio communications overall, to promote international good will (which are the primary purposes of the Amateur Radio Service)...

Amateur Radio Service:
Quote:
97.1 Basis and purpose.-
The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.
(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.
Versus the purpose / applications of the Maritime Mobile Service (again under US and Int'l Law):
Quote:
The Maritime Mobile Service is an internationally-allocated radio service providing for safety of life and property at sea and on inland waterways. It includes the Maritime Mobile Service, the Maritime Mobile-Satellite Service, the Port Operations Service, the Ship Movement Service, the Maritime Fixed Service, and the Maritime Radiodetermination Service. These services classify the different types of marine radio communications. Together, shipboard and land stations in the marine services are meant to serve the needs of the entire maritime community.
Bottom line:

--- If a sailor "loves" radio (or think they will) and are willing to participate in a few of the 5 basic purposes of the Amateur Radio Service, then go for it, study/learn, and attain your ham license! (they will find some of their fellow sailors with ham radio, but usually will end up talking with many more land-based hams than anything else)

--- But, if what they're looking for is maritime safety and distress comms, weather info/forecasts at sea and in far remote areas, contact with mainly other cruising boats, etc....then maritime communications (the Maritime Mobile Service) is much better suited for them, rather than ham comms...

--- {fyi, contrary to what some guys selling / promoting ham radio for sailors, especially the Winlink-sailors, ham radio is not a "cheaper" substitute for the Maritime Mobile Service....they are two completely different things...(just like HF maritime comms / MF/HF-DSC-SSB are completely different than sat comms....but many of the folks selling/promoting the latter say or imply they are a substitute for each other....have a look at the "stickies" for the details on these matters)...}

c) The use of MF/HF-DSC signaling (an integral part of the GMDSS) being exclusive to the maritime mobile service and maritime radio equipment...

Lest we forget the GMDSS [EPIRB's; NAVTEX; VHF-DSC-FM; MF/HF-DSC-SSB; SART's (X-band or AIS); INMARSAT-C (and soon INMARSAT-FB and Iridium Certus)], and how the multiple / redundant means of signaling for help/assistance and/or Distress, as well as multiple means of accessing maritime weather info/forecasts, is designed for improving Safety-of-Life-at-Sea (hence SOLAS)....

Of course, as private yachts, we are not required to utilize any part of the GMDSS (Global Maritime Distress and Safety System), but we are welcome to use as much as we desire....for FREE...

And, as great as ham radio is, and as helpful most hams are, no ham radio equipment (nor any part of the Amateur Radio Service) is compatible here...

3) So, while some here are frustrated with some forms of HF radio communications, perhaps if everyone was a bit better informed of what works where and how....maybe many of these frustrations would disappear?

Please understand that nobody expects all of you to know all of this....it's not like we are all born with this stuff in our heads!

And, while the guys selling you all of this (whether maritime or ham....whether equipment or software), should know better.....they usually don't....and even if they did, most just want to make a buck ($$$), so most won't take the chance of losing a sale by actually telling you the truth...

And, many of my fellow sailors, whether promoting or panning something, are well-intentioned but unfortunately many are misinformed and/or misinterpret their experiences...

I understand this comes off like I think I know it all, and I look like a jerk thinking I know-it-all....and, if I could somehow write all of this in a way that would not look like this, I would!
'Cuz, what I really want is just to help...

So, I'm not going to continue to ramble on and on here, but rather just refer anyone that wants to know more, to the "stickies" above (at the top of the Marine Electronics page here on Cruiser's Forum) and watch the videos....

{And, add one comment here...just 'cuz maritime HF comms went to DSC for initial contact/signaling and almost all telephone calls (and much of the commercial fleet data comms) went to satellite, many think maritime HF comms is dead....but, once you understand the details, you see this is not the case...."old-fashioned", maybe yes....but, not dead....
HF maritime comms are actually used daily by 1000's of SOLAS vessels at sea, daily! Yes, even in 2020....

And, certainly for most private yachts, Maritime HF comms is alive and well....used daily by 100's and 100's of sailors....probably 1000's each week....
Please have a look at the referenced pages, stickies, videos, etc....and click on the links in those referenced pages/stickies, 'cuz the official info is right there for you...all for free!}

This is all free, and nobody is trying to sell you anything, nor influence you....just pass on some great info / advice...

My videos are all done LIVE as-it-happens, in the real-world not a lab (no simulations)...just like everyone does it in real life....
(btw, please forgive my poor editing and occasional repetition....I did these myself / alone, with no script, no director, no notes....just me, my fingers, my radios, and my extemporaneous narration...all while on-board my offshore cruising boat)

Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use / properly-install SSB, & troubleshoot RFI, etc.)

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/marine-ssb-stuff-how-to-better-use-properly-install-ssb-and-troubleshoot-rfi-etc-133496.html

HF-SSB Radio, Proper Installation Tips/Techniques, etc.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/hf-ssb-radio-proper-installation-tips-techniques-etc-198305.html

And, for those looking for the easy-peasy link to a free video series / Playlists, have a look here:

HF-DSC Comms

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2n3z5nlv-ga2zYuPozhUXZX

VHF-DSC Comms (some of these are not my videos, and hence are done in a lab/classroom)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2m-IejYg7J6QugtO2epizxF

Generic Maritime HF comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nPNdApNsZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2mPZAx2vWzdjTJjHlChruyY

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2npivDjoFrC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Offshore Sailing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2nbwAGh5DKgTCj15iyl6qoY

I do hope this helps.

Fair winds

John

P.S. Back in 1973, I assisted in my first Maritime HF (SSB) installation....and the guys selling/installing this were licensed hams (as well as having commercial FCC licenses)....so, I started to learn about ham radio....joined the ARRL in 1974, etc....yada yada....

Well, my point is that my favorite aunt was visiting and she asked me what I was reading/studying....and when I answered "ham radio", she had no clue what I was talking about....

So, I then explained that it's officially called "Amateur Radio" and then she understood completely....and asked me if I actually knew why it was called "Amateur Radio", to which I answered confidently: "cuz they don't get paid"...
She smiled and said that I obviously wasn't taking Latin in school....and then she (a 100% non-technical person) taught me what ham radio was really about...

She told me of Latin route-word of amateur (ama / amo), meaning love....and that an "amateur" is someone that does something for the "love" of it, such as amateur athletics, amateur sports, etc....and "amateur radio" is something practiced by those with a "love" of radio!
Kinda' cool!!

And, when I read the 5 goals and purposes of the Amateur Radio Service, it all came to make sense!

So, ham radio is for those that "love" radio and can participate in the 5 reasons for the service....and while I got sidelined by girls and cars for a couple years, I finally got around to attaining my ham licenses.....that was over 40 years ago, and I still "love" radio!

P.P.S. I drive a car, daily, with a 5-speed manual transmission....and a weight-to-power ratio of about 7.2:1 (or 6.5:1 on higher-octane gas)....drive it everyday! And, I've owned / driven manual transmission cars since learning to drive in the mid-1970's...

{Btw, in my garage at home, I have another car with a bit more horsepower....although, I only drive it once-in-while these days....its weight-to-horsepower ratio is 3.2:1....no that's not a typo...3.2 to 1....not my daily-driver, but 100% legal and surprisingly not that hard to keep on the road....well, not easy for novices, but I haven't crashed it, yet...and I built this from 1976 thru 1980, so I've been driving it a long time... }
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Unfortunately I personally know one of the “weasels” you speak of..

“But, September 30, 2019 was the "official" end of the almost century long tradition of hams helping hams, with the closing of the old Official Observer program, giving way to the new Volunteer Monitoring program (and turning loose the weasels and thugs to intimidate and threaten, rather than guide and advise).

What happened is the FCC and ARRL decided to change things.....and, in my opinion, give the ARRL way too much power!
And, in turn gave rise to nasty, authoritarian, weasels to patrol the airwaves like the.... (well, you get the picture, don't you?)
These are the ignorant a-holes that sent Chuck his cease and desist message!

Let's all remember these old sayings:
"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!" {Lord John Acton}
And, who could forget chairman Mao's "[Political] power grows out of the barrel of a gun" (these days instead of a gun, a keyboard works)

And, the yahoos at the FCC and ARRL have given this power (from a keyboard) to some that have no clue...and have no love of radio!!

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Volun...nal%203-12.pdf

Quote:
Approved by the ARRL Board of Directors at its July 2018 meeting, the new Volunteer Monitor program is a formal agreement between the FCC and ARRL in which volunteers trained and vetted by the ARRL will monitor the airwaves and collect evidence that can be used both to correct misconduct or recognize exemplary on-air operation. Cases of flagrant violations will be referred to the FCC by the ARRL for action in accordance with FCC guidelines.

The intent of this program is to re-energize enforcement efforts in the Amateur Radio bands. It was proposed by the FCC in the wake of several FCC regional office closures and a reduction in field staff.

Under this program, the FCC will give enforcement priority to cases developed by the Volunteer Monitor program, without the delay of ARRL having to refer cases through the FCC online complaint process.
So, I again extend an apology to Chuck on behalf of all my fellow hams, and offer my assistance in reaming a few. “

..and laments his new found powers every morning on a certain ‘Net’
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:20   #30

Boat: Lancer 27PS

The ARRL has no authority to say anything. So if you receive a cease and desist letter from the ARRL, return it after using it as toilet paper.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, license