Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:18   #1276
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 40
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Bullet is no longer the best omni-directional option from Ubiquity... but it is the cheapest.

The very best is now the Rocket-M coupled to the AirMax Omni AMO-2G13 antenna. This is a carrier class 2x2 dual polarized MIMO antenna at 13dBi gain. You need a dual polarized radio to drive it, hence the Rocket-M instead of a Bullet.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/airmaxomni/amo_ds_web.pdf
Wow - up to 28db (630mW) output from the Rocket + 13dB1 antenna gain = 41dB (13W EIRP) or more than 3x over the maximum power allowed for point to multipoint (WiFi hotspots) in even the most permissive countries. In Europe (and most countries in the world), the max is 100mW (20db) allowed output power. The Rocket is a carrier class device that is intended for professional installation and use. It provides a higher power output which is permitted in point-to-point communications - tower to tower where the potential for creating interference is minimal and all of the signal is being beamed between them. But I know you're turning down the output so as not to be overdriving the band. If you weren't, this would be kinda like being at a party and somebody is talking to you through a megaphone.

But power isn't the most important thing. Having a clear line-of-sight is. A Bullet provides more than enough power to connect to hotspots many miles away. And 99.9% of the time, you'll be less than a mile from the hotspot.

BTW: Are you aware that your antenna has a 2 degree down tilt? For best usage, I'd think you'd have it upside down so there'd be a tilt up.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01   #1277
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
To piggy back what DotDun said: under $300 and all the work (besides installing), research and guessing has been done.
Mostly true - check with the kit vendor as to whether you will need to learn to use the native firmware that comes loaded on the Bullet. Many settings available in the native firmware when incorrectly selected can stop your Bullet from functioning. Using the reset button or clicking reset in the firmware will restore a native Bullet to bridge mode and change the IP address to a default value thus making it more difficult and time consuming to get it working again. See whether their manual (which should be available online) instructs you to never adjust certain controls or click certain buttons such as 'Reset'. Vendors who sell complete kits should already have considered the above and provide firmware that can stay operational regardless of selections you make and be restored to a known usable state. This is all part of the added value of purchasing a ready-to-go solution.

Then check whether you'll get the US or International version of the Bullet (or whether it matters) as part of a kit. Choose wisely!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:04   #1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlahrkamp View Post
Mostly true - check with the kit vendor as to whether you will need to learn to use the native firmware that comes loaded on the Bullet. Many settings available in the native firmware when incorrectly selected can stop your Bullet from functioning. Using the reset button or clicking reset in the firmware will restore a native Bullet to bridge mode and change the IP address to a default value thus making it more difficult and time consuming to get it working again. See whether their manual (which should be available online) instructs you to never adjust certain controls or click certain buttons such as 'Reset'. Vendors who sell complete kits should already have considered the above and provide firmware that can stay operational regardless of selections you make and be restored to a known usable state. This is all part of the added value of purchasing a ready-to-go solution. Then check whether you'll get the US or International version of the Bullet (or whether it matters) as part of a kit. Choose wisely!
Fantastic advice.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40   #1279

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I also have a Islandtime set up and happy with it. I've pulled in stations as far away as 1.2 miles...not bad in my book. The challenge is finding an unsecured station. Hopefully that will be easier in Mexico.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42   #1280
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddhewett View Post
3) What is a good brand of PoE injector or can you get Routers with a PoE port on them to save having the injector as well?
The brand of POE is less important than its function which is to provide clean and safe power onto the unused wires of a cat5 cable. The Bullet provides a mechanism for reverse polarity protection for itself: it shorts the pins on the ethernet connector that carry the power. Yes - this does save the electronics in the Bullet from destruction, but in an unprotected circuit (no or too highly rated fuse or breaker) this will result in a melted cable or worse - fire. A POE can take care of this through reverse polarity shut down, current limiting, thermal shutdown as well as removing power spikes and noise and regulating the voltage being applied to the Bullet. Earlier Bullets did not handle power line noise and would lock up requiring a power cycle. A POE startup delay ensures that the power is stabilized and ensures a clean Bullet startup. Another consideration is if the Bullet's access password is forgotten - the only recovery is a hard reset on the bottom of the Bullet. And that can be inconvenient if the Bullet is installed in a great location for reception but a more precarious one for access. Some POEs include a remote reset button to make resetting easy.

We believe that our POE covers it all for boaters and we invite you to compare others against it. Here's our link: Bitstorm POE Injector
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52   #1281
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The challenge is finding an unsecured station.
One thing that we've learned: Just because a hotspot is unsecured does not necessarily make it free, and just because a hotspot is secure does not mean that it is unavailable. Many businesses put in wi-fi as a service to their guests in the hopes that it will bring in customers and add value. So go patronize the establishment - get a beer and chips - and you'll get the password.

On a side note - the best anchoring in bays and slips at marinas for some people is not about the best view, etc., but about where the best reception is.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:32   #1282

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I also have a Islandtime set up and happy with it. I've pulled in stations as far away as 1.2 miles...not bad in my book. The challenge is finding an unsecured station. Hopefully that will be easier in Mexico.
Telcel 3G is the way in Mexico.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:54   #1283

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Using the reset button or clicking reset in the firmware will restore a native Bullet to bridge mode and change the IP address to a default value thus making it more difficult and time consuming to get it working again.
Save a backup of your configuration file and upon reset, simply reload the configuration. Takes 5 seconds and the only difficulty is correctly using your mouse.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31   #1284
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Save a backup of your configuration file and upon reset, simply reload the configuration. Takes 5 seconds and the only difficulty is correctly using your mouse.Mark
Mark,
You are correct and a configuration file will help. The real problem is that your Bullet will likely be configured as a router with DHCP and NAT. When the reset is performed, the Bullet changes to bridge with a fixed ip of 192.168.1.20 and DHCP turned off. You would need to config your ethernet port to have a static ip in this range in order to gain access to the Bullet's AirOS firmware. Once in, you can apply the backup config file, which will put it likely back into router mode and enable DHCP again. Now you go back to your ethernet adapter in your laptop, and reconfig it to use DHCP again. Once the new address has been assigned along with DNS, you're good to use your Bullet again. For a network engineer or somebody whose taken the trouble to learn all about ip addressing and how to set up - child's play (and I appreciate that your 5 seconds was more for emphasis than actual time required). For someone not as skilled in these black arts and who just wants to be on the internet - it can be a whole lot more challenging. A reset should simply bring everything back to a known usable state, not an intermediate state requiring you to jump through additional hoops. As I said before, any kit vendor should or will have considered all aspects and adds value to the user experience during both installation and operation.

BTW: How would you do this reset and configuration file procedure using just an iPad?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:15   #1285

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
One thing that we've learned: Just because a hotspot is unsecured does not necessarily make it free, and just because a hotspot is secure does not mean that it is unavailable. Many businesses put in wi-fi as a service to their guests in the hopes that it will bring in customers and add value. So go patronize the establishment - get a beer and chips - and you'll get the password.

On a side note - the best anchoring in bays and slips at marinas for some people is not about the best view, etc., but about where the best reception is.
Yes...I am finding that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Telcel 3G is the way in Mexico.
Is that for a phone, or is it for a Wifi stick?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:52   #1286

If you request the User Manual (Beginner's Guide), make sure to mention what device you have.
YachtManuals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:58   #1287

Bummer, I thought this would end up next to my post yesterday. Can't figure out how to do that. Sorry.
YachtManuals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:31   #1288

Ok. So I was convinced by the Ubiquiti systems and that I knew what I needed and how to set it up so I sent an email to my boss basically giving him the options of the bullet, rocket or nanostation. Unfortunately his reply wasn't quite as enthusiastic as I had hoped.

We currently have a WiFi antenna already set up (not sure what gain or brand as I haven't managed to find any documents for it yet) which is connected to a TP-Link network adapter in the back of one of the computers inside the boat via a coax cable. This setup is crap and my laptop works better even without an additional antenna. However, my boss claims the antenna is reasonable and the cable is low-loss so he wants to try and make use of them and save the hassle of replacing the coax with a poe. He has suggested the MetisAir (Long Range Wireless - Yacht and Caravan WiFi | MetisAir) might be a good solution for us. I think this looks crap and am still routing for an ubiquiti based setup but I will explore the possibilities anyway.

So basically what I am asking now is:

1) If anyone has any experience with MetisAir

2) MetisAir seems very expensive for what it does. Is there a cheaper alternative? (the boss likes the fact its all in one box and doesn't need an additional router etc)

Cheers for all your help so far,

Edd
eddhewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22   #1289
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddhewett View Post
Ok. So I was convinced by the Ubiquiti systems and that I knew what I needed and how to set it up so I sent an email to my boss basically giving him the options of the bullet, rocket or nanostation. Unfortunately his reply wasn't quite as enthusiastic as I had hoped.

We currently have a WiFi antenna already set up (not sure what gain or brand as I haven't managed to find any documents for it yet) which is connected to a TP-Link network adapter in the back of one of the computers inside the boat via a coax cable. This setup is crap and my laptop works better even without an additional antenna. However, my boss claims the antenna is reasonable and the cable is low-loss so he wants to try and make use of them and save the hassle of replacing the coax with a poe. He has suggested the MetisAir (Long Range Wireless - Yacht and Caravan WiFi | MetisAir) might be a good solution for us. I think this looks crap and am still routing for an ubiquiti based setup but I will explore the possibilities anyway.

So basically what I am asking now is:

1) If anyone has any experience with MetisAir

2) MetisAir seems very expensive for what it does. Is there a cheaper alternative? (the boss likes the fact its all in one box and doesn't need an additional router etc)

Cheers for all your help so far,

Edd
Your boss has gone mad and is on a path of self destruction
The tech you are after is obsolete. Best chance to find it is in dumpsters.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 10:48   #1290

Possibly a stupid question but could you compensate for the lossy coax cable by using a higher power transceiver such as RouterBoard.com : Metal2SHPn ?

I know coax is bad but what exactly is it you lose?
eddhewett is offline   Reply With Quote