Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41   #1

Boat: Passport 41
'lil help with FCC - ship's station license, existing EPIRB

Have marine SSB, installing AIS transceiver.

Prior owner's station license long expired.

Prior owner's mmsi is in the VHF.

Tried applying using online form 605 but it doesn't like the the EPIRB number is already registered... don't believe I can change that.

I know I can send in VHF for new MMSI... but how do I get a ship's license, including the EPIRB, with a previously registered number?
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:12   #2

Boat: Southern Cross 39
Re: 'lil help with FCC - ship's station license, existing EPIRB

Watching.. in same process. Unless PO releases the MMSI it seems very cumbersome.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabowers View Post
Watching.. in same process. Unless PO releases the MMSI it seems very cumbersome.
For me , actually, sending in for a reprogrammed MMSI is fine, given, have more than one VHF anyway. More concerned about the EPIRB which cannot be reprogrammed (AFAIK)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44   #4

Call the FCC at 1-877-480-3201. They are open 9-5 eastern time. You will get to speak with a very helpful human at this number.

It's a good idea to have your MMSI number and station license call sign handy when you call.

If you only have a MMSI number and no station license, you can go to the BoatUS website and get a MMSI registered to a PO put in your name.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Call the FCC at 1-877-480-3201. They are open 9-5 eastern time. You will get to speak with a very helpful human at this number.

..If you only have a MMSI number and no station license, you can go to the BoatUS website and get a MMSI registered to a PO put in your name.
Thanks for this. They directed me to the process of having the PO remove their registration for MMSI as well as to NOAA for re-registering the EPIRB. EPIRB was easy, they confirmed it in an hour or so. Still crossing my fingers I don't have to send in the VHF for reprogramming....

note: Not all MMSI's are registered through boat us. in this case it was directly thru the fcc so ya gotta use their process for the change
Old 02-10-2019, 17:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post

It's a good idea to have your MMSI number and station license call sign handy when you call.

If you only have a MMSI number and no station license, you can go to the BoatUS website and get a MMSI registered to a PO put in your name.
Spot on unless you plan to leave the US. We$t and Boat US cannot help. You must pay for offshore station license.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Thanks for this. They directed me to the process of having the PO remove their registration for MMSI as well as to NOAA for re-registering the EPIRB. EPIRB was easy, they confirmed it in an hour or so. Still crossing my fingers I don't have to send in the VHF for reprogramming....

note: Not all MMSI's are registered through boat us. in this case it was directly thru the fcc so ya gotta use their process for the change
BoatUS gives MMSI only to vessels that sail ONLY in USA waters. If you sail internationally you get an MMSI only through FCC.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44   #8

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I just went through this process for foreign use of VHF & AIS, except for the fees (How Much for just a little paperwork!!) very east to do, just call in and they send you the links & good advice on getting it done.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

VHF reprogramming is usually by sending in. They make it difficult for the user to change. Check with the manufacturer. Some units can be changed with complex difficulty. YouTube may offer a how-to video. You might need to emulate the manufacturer’s software and do from a laptop (Blue tooth). Good luck.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 16:27   #10

There is a block on the FCC 605 that asks if there has been a previous MMSI assigned to the vessel. Check yes and enter the number in your radio. The new license will be issued with that number. QED.
kudukuguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:07   #11

For posterity's sake, the below worked, and keep in mind, this is for MMSI's registered with the FCC, not with BoatUS or someone else

Previous Owner:
1. Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password.
2. If you are taken to the My Applications page after logging in, click the My Licenses link in the navigation menu on the left. Then click the Cancel License link to start the application.
3. Select the license(s), click the Add button and click the Continue button to navigate through the application.
4. Sign your application by typing your name in the boxes provided and click the Submit Application button.

New owner:
Wait a day and then do a normal ship's license using the existing MSSI, and voila, you now have a ship's station license.

Tags
epirb, license