Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 09:02   #1

Boat: Mirage 5.5
Lightning detectors

Knowing when a thunderstorm is heading your way is important information for a cruising sailor. So I was very surprised to get just one hit when I searched for "Lightning detectors", and this was a very short thread from 2006-2013. The gist of the thread is that a cheap AM radio might be a good alternative to a $500 detector. More on that later.

On the other hand, a Google search of "Marine lightning detector" produces as many products as there were comments in the above thread! And some of the claims are impressive, including, in one case, "the unique ability to warn of the risk of overhead lightning, even before the lightning has started". I have no idea how well any of these perform, have no commercial interest in any device on the market, and any of my comments above should not be taken as either critical or supportive of any devices or techniques.

Given the lack of data, maybe we can contribute to the field of knowledge, which seems pretty sparse right now. So, if you have first-hand experience in using a lightning detector (one of the expensive models, not an AM radio) during thunderstorms, please submit a post documenting your experience. If not, join us for the ride.
Old 23-12-2020, 12:04   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Lightning detectors

I haven't used any of those products, but really don't see any need. Using CAPE forecasts with Predictwind I can know the likelihood of lightning several days in advance.

Once a storm is on me, I still have an hour or so notice, sometimes longer, as I can see the lighting on the horizon.

By the time some device is telling me that lighting is right on top of me, or even within a mile or so, it is far too late to take any action.

fwiw, I have sailed though severe lighting about half a dozen times. I never want to do it again, but sometimes it is unavoidable. I have never taken a direct strike, but had lighting hit the water right next to the boat, close enough that the person on the helm took a painful jolt through the wheel.

Never was I surprised or did I feel I didn't have enough notice.
Old 23-12-2020, 12:58   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Lightning detectors

I agree with Warren, CAPE data is useful to predict severe weather, and at sea it is relatively easy to see lightning miles off.

A lightning strike generates a RF signal in the 500 kHz range (which is why cheap AM radios are affected). These electronic lightning detectors are basically little radio receivers tuned to detect the RF energy created by a lightning strike.

These things are not new and the technology has been around since 1894 (research Alexander Popav if you're interested). More recently some folks have taken Arduino modules and put them in a fancy wrapper and try to market them at exorbitant prices to unknowing boaters. You can roll your own for under $50.

I added a module to my Arduino weather station on my ham radio tower...it can supposedly detect a lightning strike up to 40 km away. Unfortunately that project is in Seattle where lightning strikes are as rare as hen's teeth so I can't comment directly on its efficacy. I will also include that module in my Arduino weather station on my boat soon (because I bought 2 modules). I'll let you know how it works when I see a lightning strike within 40 km of my position.

(Edited...here is the lightning sensor I'm using in my projects)

There's lots of data and info online.

Tags
lightning, lightning detector, thunderstorm detection