Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 22:52   #1

Boat: adams 35
lighting up the daisy

I'm installing new wind instruments , wind and depth/speed combo. My old ones were separately wired,transducer to instrument to power each on their own circuit.

The new setup is daisy chained. The cable from the anenometer at the masthead comes down the mast to a T connector inside the hull. The depth/log transducer which is about a foot from the bottom of the mast plugs into the T and then a third cable takes the data to the instruments in the cockpit. Neat and easy and a doddle to install.
Then I thought, what if I get a lightning strike? If the lightning hits the masthead anenometer (highly likely) the current will go straight down the cable directly via the Tconnect to the through hull and sink the boat (!!!!)

Would it be better to put the Tconnect next to the instruments and run a cable back to the through hull or have I missed something?
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, lighting