Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 14:31   #46

Re: LED bulb in old mast top nav light

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
You can get marine spec led replacements. They've been around for a decade or more. They tend to be priced accordingly.

Not sure what benefit liquid filling provides you with at the mast head. Only use case I can think is for explosive atmospheres.

As a safety critical system I'm a little concerned with your desire to hack something together.

We replaced our old mast head light with a luna sea anchor, mast head and strobe. Pricey but much more visible than the old led light.

The extra wiring is probably as follows:

Common ground
Masthead +ve
Anchor +vr
Strobe +ve

The lunasea has 3 wires. This necessitates a number of diodes. The only annoying aspect of this unit.

sv Sedoza Sakona Liberty 458 hull 12
I will keep the Hella sailing lantern (tricolour). I don't have an anchor lantern at the mast top currently.

To avoid mounting hassle, and the possibility of the two lanterns obscuring each others' views, I am considering mounting a LED strip as anchor/mooring light (not navigation/sailing!). No need to rebuilt the mount for the current Hella etc. Just put the strip a few dm lower down the mast.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:57   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post
A bit difficult to mount both anchor light and sailing light and get them not to obscure each other, and at the same time not too close to the VHF antenna.

What about mounting a LED strip as anchor light, further down the mast, perhaps 30 cm lower:
Cool White 1M 60LED 5050 SMD IP65 Waterproof Flexible LED Strip Light DC 12V | eBay

How can that LED strip possible draw 2 A? Must be wrong. Just 1 m!
Possibly just rounded up to the nearest whole number as a "safety" margin?

5050 LEDs are rated to draw 0.24W. You have 60 of them in that meter, so that's 14.4W. or 1.2A, (which is the typical figure quoted for that type of strip).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Possibly just rounded up to the nearest whole number as a "safety" margin?

5050 LEDs are rated to draw 0.24W. You have 60 of them in that meter, so that's 14.4W. or 1.2A, (which is the typical figure quoted for that type of strip).
I arrived at the same calculations. Will be 70 cm max approx. So roughly 10 W. Don't know. Too much maybe. Could coat it with epoxy. Hard to get it to stick to the aluminium mast. It's painted white also.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast