Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 08:37   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: LCD vs. LED Television.

A computer with a SSD is a definite advantage on board a boat. Lower power consumption, faster start up, and no physical risk of damage, with vibration/shock.
However at the moment the costs per GB is a bit high for large files like movies.

This is likely to change in the near future.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:47   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Given what I've read, so far, wouldn't the smartest move be for storage of media on a solid state storage device? No moving parts = no wear and tear (other than those pesky, elusive electrons bashing into copper wire), and no energy wasted on mechanical motors, bearings, etc. I'm asking because I'll be shopping for a new computer one of these days and the idea of a solid state storage sounds good to me, having experienced the effects of bashing into heavy chop while listening to the stereo CD player skipping tracks.
Indeed. I have my full music collection, most of it in a lossless format, on a 256GByte SSD, which I installed in an external housing with firewire connection. This works really well but costs too much for large movie collections, for which I still use hard disks. A 3TB disk goes a long way. I gave up on external housings and use them with a docking station to pop them in and out much like a DVD. Got mine from the brand ThermalTake which works well.

Our newest gadget is a SSD Hybrid drive. It's cheap but with a performance close to SSD. It smartly moves often used data onto a small SSD. Ours was from Western Digital and works 100% in a MacbookPro, replacing the system disk.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:56   #33

Boat: Seafarer36c

We just installed an 18" LED USB powered monitor at the Nav station, 8 watts. Seems to be OK.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:57   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
We just installed an 18" LED USB powered monitor at the Nav station, 8 watts. Seems to be OK.
The power consumption of these is a direct relationto the display surface area. Bigger picture, more Watts

Old 13-05-2013, 09:08   #35

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes often because you can get away with a lower resolution for TV. But a good 1080p set makes a good monitor once you don't exceed about 25" diagonal above that you need IPS and very high res to sit close to a large screen. Large TVs ate designed to be viewed At a distance.

Dave
Mine is a 24 and still had problems. However I didnt think to google before, but since posting in this thread I discovered hordes of users have the same complaint. Macs dont detect TV screens too well & they don't expect users to use them as monitors anyway (problem not noticeable in movies), but there is a fix. Turn sharpness down to near zero on the TV and its fine.
Looks like I can use this monitor onboard after all
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 09:22   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is that a true 1080p HD TV? Each pixel is sharp like can be when I last checked it out...

I'm still using an old Dell 24" screen that refuses to die... but a little mildew got in there so may be next year it has grown enough that I can finally replace it. I think I'll just drop a 22" iMac in there

Old 13-05-2013, 09:29   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This is also true of a an external hard drive.
In both cases, DVD or hard drive, the TV has to process the digital data stream into the correct picture and sound.

The DVD disc is larger and heavier than the hard drive platter and the laser of uses a bit more power than the magnetic heads of the hard drive, but at a DVD can be spun and read for less than 5w (because this is the maximium power 2 USB ports will supply).
Yes, I agree, but I wasn't comparing DVD to HD. I was pointing out that the DVD drives bolted inside some of these TV's are not necessarily the same as laptop USB DVD drives. Instead, they may be "home" DVD systems stripped only of their cases, but containing their own power supplies, conversion chips and circuits, sound and video outputs and preamps, etc. These use a lot more power than laptop drives for this reason.

Ours looks like this - when I peer into the vent holes, I see a large drive and associated circuits that look like it was simply bolted into the case and connected to the TV part in the same way an external home DVD player would be. And the current draw when the DVD player is running seems to support this.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 10:08   #38

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Is that a true 1080p HD TV? Each pixel is sharp like can be when I last checked it out...
Can't tell, according to the Macs sys prefs the resolution of the TV is 1080x1340 - rather than the 1080x1920 like 1080p is supposed to be. So its probably a pretender.. (fwiw, the macbook prefs set to 1080i is much better)
I use a proper monitor here but its not 12V and consumes 85W thus the reason for wanting to switch to this 40w TV.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 07:31   #39

If your willing to wait OLED is coming and only uses a sniff of power can roll up and put in the chart box ! Yup theatre big n expensive but soon will be all sizes and cheap
JohnnyChristo is offline   Reply With Quote