Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2022, 08:09   #1

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation
Laptop vs weatherproof cpu

I was not planning on researching this or making a decision about it until I was ready to live on my boat full time, which could be up to three years from now, and on a different boat.

However, there is a chance I am going to want to work from this boat, this winter, and my work laptop is coming due to be replaced.

I am a project manager for an architecture firm in MA. I have been working remotely for over 10 years, including 5 traveling in an rv full time. At a bare minimum, I need two screens to work efficiently. Usually one of those screens is the largest gaming laptop I can find on the market. Gamer specs and CAD 3d specs are very similar.

I was reading a thread recently about gutting the electronics on a boat and starting over, and another thread about using chart plotters vs tablets and computers. I admit to understanding about 10 percent of the words in those threads, but the words I did understand made me re-think the gamer laptop approach.

Would I be better off with a central computer in a box designed for sailing conditions that I could link a couple of touch screen monitors to wirelessly? I think these could double as tablet screens for navigation.

Someone mentioned rasberry pi to me, I have not looked at it yet. I know there are "tough" computer boxes out there. i would still need the graphics specs of a gamer computer.

Thanks for any feedback.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:28   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Laptop vs weatherproof cpu

Depends on how wet your boat is and how much computing power you need.

Our boat is fairly dry, it's a 35ft cat.
We use two identical laptops with the same software setup for navigation.
One is in use the other one backup.
We also use a waterproof keyboard and mouse with them.

Both have Windows 10 and PrimeOS. So, we can also run Android apps if them if we choose to do.
I prefer SailgribWR (Android) for routing and OpenCPN (Windows) for navigation. The Windows version of OpenCPN appeals more to me than the Android version.
Still, we could even use SailgribWR for all our purposes.
But, I digress.

I'd separate work computer and nav computer. Nav computer goes only online for Grib files, so it's less in risk of viruses.
Work computer needs frequently web access.

For work (www.das3dstudio.de), I need a high powered computer.
These are normally not ruggedized.

For this I do have another screen installed.
I was looking into a desktop, but I need to travel occasionally and that is easier with the laptop.
Added benefit you might have a small chance to take it with you if you need to abandon the boat. We have a watertight suitcase for this.
Laptops are less power hungry too. Still my setup pulls 300watt at full blast. But with 840ah batteries and 1200watt solar that is not a big problem.
Main issue is upgradeability later on, but if you change them after few years it's less of an issue, you can still sell them for a reasonable price.

Another important thing are backups, ruggedized harddrives are available.
We have three of them:
One for the work files.
One for the complete operating system and software.
One for a secondary backup of both.

The ruggedized backup drives live in a waterproof box too. If you need to abandon, you could take them if the laptop is to big.

Finally leave a full backup on shore before you cast off. So, in the worst case you only loose the stuff created during the time you were cruising.

You could also backup to the cloud, but I prefer not to share all my stuff with the cloud.

When leaving the boat we usually take the hardware with us.
Old 15-04-2022, 08:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Depends on how wet your boat is and how much computing power you need.

Our boat is fairly dry, it's a 35ft cat.
We use two identical laptops with the same software setup for navigation.
One is in use the other one backup.
We also use a waterproof keyboard and mouse with them.

Both have Windows 10 and PrimeOS. So, we can also run Android apps if them if we choose to do.
I prefer SailgribWR (Android) for routing and OpenCPN (Windows) for navigation. The Windows version of OpenCPN appeals more to me than the Android version.
Still, we could even use SailgribWR for all our purposes.
But, I digress.

I'd separate work computer and nav computer. Nav computer goes only online for Grib files, so it's less in risk of viruses.
Work computer needs frequently web access.

For work (www.das3dstudio.de), I need a high powered computer.
For this I do have another screen installed.
I was looking into a desktop, but I need to travel occasionally and that is easier with the laptop.
Added benefit you might have a small chance to take it with you if you need to abandon the boat. We have a watertight suitcase for this.
Laptops are less power hungry too. Still my setup pulls 300watt at full blast. But with 840ah batteries and 1200watt solar that is not a big problem.
Main issue is upgradeability later on, but if you change them after few years it's less of an issue, you can still sell them for a reasonable price.

Another important thing are backups, ruggedized harddrives are available.
We have three of them:
One for the work files.
One for the complete operating system and software.
One for a secondary backup of both.

The ruggedized backup drives live in a waterproof box too. If you need to abandon, you could take them if the laptop is to big.

Finally leave a full backup on shore before you cast off. So, in the worst case you only loose the stuff created during the time you were cruising.

You could also backup to the cloud, but I prefer not to share all my stuff with the cloud.

When leaving the boat we usually take the hardware with us.
OOh, I did not even think about abandoning the boat quickly! Thank you. I think my office is going to move to an online server when our current in house one ages out. Just seems cheaper and easier, so backups would be managed by that (assuming I have internet access).

My computer needs to be pretty robust for work, and I am not sure my solar system is goin to handle whatever I try. Kicking myself for giving my rv to my father, it had a very nice solar system with a 500 amp hour lithium battery bank, and huge inverter but such is life.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 15-04-2022, 09:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you separate the CPU from the monitors/keyboard/mouse, you have the option of designing a low humidity/temperature controlled enclosure for the CPU. That's a really expensive item that is vulnerable to the inevitable environment in a boat. Keyboards are cheap, and monitors while a little more expensive are not too vulnerable.
Old 15-04-2022, 09:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
If you separate the CPU from the monitors/keyboard/mouse, you have the option of designing a low humidity/temperature controlled enclosure for the CPU. That's a really expensive item that is vulnerable to the inevitable environment in a boat. Keyboards are cheap, and monitors while a little more expensive are not too vulnerable.
That is sort of where my head was going on that. I could replace the need for a tablet with a touch screen monitor as well (I think). I was hoping that in a few years some of the folding tech I am seeing on cell phone screens might make for some interesting monitor options.
Old 15-04-2022, 11:37   #6

Regarding inverter, true sin wave is sometimes important when running some computer equipment and monitors.

Also think about that higher voltage means thinner cables.
That was important when deciding on running cables to my workstation on board.
Run a hefty (remember my computer is a 300w beast) 12v cable or run a thin 220v cable.
We did the later and plug the computer in just as if we where on shore.
Old 15-04-2022, 11:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
OOh, I did not even think about abandoning the boat quickly! Thank you. I think my office is going to move to an online server when our current in house one ages out. Just seems cheaper and easier, so backups would be managed by that (assuming I have internet access).

My computer needs to be pretty robust for work, and I am not sure my solar system is goin to handle whatever I try. Kicking myself for giving my rv to my father, it had a very nice solar system with a 500 amp hour lithium battery bank, and huge inverter but such is life.

Thanks for the feedback!
We did buy rigid 400w "household" solar panels, they are much cheaper than marine ones and also often also subject to salt spray and vibrations when mounted along highways.
3x 170€

Our battery pack is assembled from individual LiFePo4 cells and was about 1250€ for 840Ah. Add 3 Epever solar controllers and a battery management system.

So getting a bigger system suitable for the job for reasonable prices is possible if you are willing to put in some work.
Old 15-04-2022, 11:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
We did buy rigid 400w "household" solar panels, they are much cheaper than marine ones and also often also subject to salt spray and vibrations when mounted along highways.
3x 170€

Our battery pack is assembled from individual LiFePo4 cells and was about 1250€ for 840Ah. Add 3 Epever solar controllers and a battery management system.

So getting a bigger system suitable for the job for reasonable prices is possible if you are willing to put in some work.
I have an electrical engineer friend who specializes in solar and electric car batteries. He is excited to play, I am excited to let him. The big question is if I want to invest upgrades into this boat, if I am not sure about it being my long term boat. I'll see how the current system handles the test laptop I brought out there, and go from there.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 15-04-2022, 13:00   #9

Boat: CT 48

if you run a desktop, you can get native 12v power supplies, so you can likely (if you can sort out a 12v display, which is doable) be able to run the machine without A/C power.

After 20+ years in tech, I still vastly prefer a desktop, though I like to have the option of either.

Personally if it comes to ditching, have an external SSD in a pelican case or something to go with you.
Old 15-04-2022, 13:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsgomoo View Post
if you run a desktop, you can get native 12v power supplies, so you can likely (if you can sort out a 12v display, which is doable) be able to run the machine without A/C power.

After 20+ years in tech, I still vastly prefer a desktop, though I like to have the option of either.

Personally if it comes to ditching, have an external SSD in a pelican case or something to go with you.
Cool, I didn't realize there were 12v power supplies, thanks!
Old 16-04-2022, 05:48   #11

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Being a chart plotter guy. How do y’all use your laptops at the helm. Separate holder, all Wi-Fi no cables for GPS, Radar, AIS, heading sensors etc?? I’m a tad frustrated with my Garmin setup
Thanks
Old 16-04-2022, 13:48   #12

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Francia
How do the laptop access gps aid radar etc. or are those separate functions using lap top for “ navigation” means what, just the chart and routes/ waypoints.
Thanks Russ
Old 16-04-2022, 13:58   #13

Ais, Radar and all go to OpenCPN on the laptop. All hardwired.
Course is adjusted manually on the autopilot, don't see sense in linking it into the system.
Our navstation is right at the bridge deck entry, so easy to see the laptop and instruments.
Helmseats are right behind the house.

We may eventually add a repeater display, outside, but so far I never felt it's crucial.
Old 20-04-2022, 14:42   #14

Boat: Riva 48

My setup is to keep work/game computers separate from navigation as well. Gaming or CAD machines can easily exceed 480W with the latest graphics cards and that is 40A DC. You cannot maintain this for a workday without a generator or massive amounts of solar. Definitely get a sine inverter for the work PC.

For navigation, nothing beats a good tablet, optionally with a keyboard. It is power efficient, it can connect to your data sources wirelessly, you can take it to the flybridge helm, to the cabin, to the head. Navigation does not need much computing power at all. OpenCPN users prefer Windows tablets, while others prefer Android tablets where you have great weather software, routing software and navigation software with cheap charts.

Then you need another PC for movies connected to your main TV. Interestingly enough dedicated systems work better on a boat because you can optimize power consumption for the particular mode.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 14:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Interestingly enough dedicated systems work better on a boat because you can optimize power consumption for the particular mode.
That is a super good point, that I did not think of. In the solar powered rv, I was able to get away with just the CAD computer because there was nothing else relying on the computing power.

Thanks for the insight.

Long term I am hoping to evolve my work away from graphics heavy needs and focus more on project management, but for the next 3 years, I will still need the heavy duty computer.

Tags
laptop, weather