Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39   #1
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Laptop loses coms with pactor modem

When trying to send email on low frequencies (3-7 mhz) the modem will initiate the connection but after about 3 seconds I will get a message in RMS express that communication has been lost with the modem. I assume that this is because there is RF interference getting back to the laptop usb port.
There are ferrites on all the cables between modem and HF radio, and modem and laptop. The installation is per Farralon electronics.
Is it because I'm putting too much power out on these lower frequencies in digital mode? If so, how do I reduce power? I'm using RMS express....
Thanks for any help
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10   #2

Re: Laptop loses coms with pactor modem

I've found that when RMS Express works, it works great; however, I'm having similar issues with it locking up when going through the initialize, connect, send, .... sequence. It does seem to be on lower frequencies. It doesn't seem to recover from dropped connections and timeouts very well. I've often had to reboot the laptop and recycle the modem.

I do have an RFI problem that I'm chasing down. I'm experimenting with different ferrites and grounding.

I'm still experimenting with my configuration. I've had better luck with Win2K, through I prefer RMS Express as far as its user interface. Haven't decided which program I'll use - I think it depends on which one ultimately works best.

Good luck!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:16   #3

As a followup, I managed to block the RFI causing high-voltage across my laptop mouse pad. I used 1/4" ferrites, with 4 wraps around the serial cable, going from the modem to the USB-Serial adapter, plugged into the laptop. With the ferrites close to the modem, I didn't need additional on the USB-Serial cable. I'm happy that this is resolved. Good luck with your RFI issues and RMS Express.
Don
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21   #4
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for the feedback Don. I'll try more ferrites at the modem
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

You should have ferrites on all the cables that are attached to the laptop. They can all act as antennas and inject signal into the USB connection and controller.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Remember, all ferrites are not created equal. Most of the ones you see are designed to work well at VHF frequencies, and aren't as effective at HF (SSB) frequencies. Using more of them, and running more turns through the core will help, but if you can you should use a ferrite designed for a lower frequency range. Here's a link to a presentation I gave that includes some info about some appropriate ferrites: http://sailvalis.com/presentations/S...ons%202012.pdf (see page 14).

Here's a link to a good ferrite clamp-on core at Mouser Electronics (electronics distributor): 0431164181 Fair-Rite | Mouser
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:34   #7

The key that I learned, in my case, the single pass small ferrite beads didn't suppress the RF interference on my laptop. It took the larger (1/4" ferrites) with 3 wraps of wire through the core (you can see this is Paul's presentation, page 14). The other interesting thing, I only need the ferrites on the serial cable running from the modem to USB adapter.

It is interesting how the high-voltage found its way into the laptop and actually caused little burns on my fingers.

Here's my earlier thread on this subject,
Don

Tags
laptop, modem, pactor