Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 17:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
KVH LTE 1 performance or opinion

Is anyone using this antenna? It seems reasonably priced if I knew I would have email and wifi reliably out 20 miles or more. Right now 90 percent of my travel is near coastal.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 07:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: KVH LTE 1 performance or opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
Is anyone using this antenna? It seems reasonably priced if I knew I would have email and wifi reliably out 20 miles or more. Right now 90 percent of my travel is near coastal.
It depends on your needs. It's USA only first off, and KVH provides the service plan. Last I heard it was $200/Mo for 20GB.

If you are in USA and like the plan they offer, then great! Otherwise there are several other options on the market that may fit your needs better.

Where are you sailing?
Old 26-12-2018, 11:15   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473

What are the several other options offered that would give me wifi out 20 miles or more? I haven't found any as cheap as $100 per 10 GB.

If you know of several other options with the same capability for less please list them.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

There are a number of options.. You still haven't provided any detail into your needs other than a desire for a cellular option.. WHERE you cruise is the most important, and then we should consider any other network devices you may already have, any satellite devices you have, WiFi Extenders, etc. And of course what type of boat you have, which may impact the ease of mounting of any particular solution. As far as data cost, there are options that depend on what cellular phone services you may have for you phones (if any). Without that info it's hard to recommend one..

However here is a brief list of options. Note that none of these come with a SIM/Service included (like the KVH does). You simply get a SIM card from any compatible provider and install it, with any particular plan that the provider offers.

KVH LTE-1 - Dome style unit. Has cellular router embedded with integral antennas. Supports USA only (currently). Includes a KVH SIM which carries a $99/Month service plan for 10GB of data.

Shakespeare WebWatch - Dome style like the KVH-1. Supports USA with AT&T SIM Cards (not included). Also has WiFi Extender functionality built-in, and can optionally include a TV Antenna if desired. Managed using a smartphone app.

Glomex WebBoat - Another Dome style unit with LTE and WiFi Extender. Supports USA and Canada cellular networks, using your own SIM Card. Managed using a smartphone app.

Redport Optimizer Premier LTE - Small interior router with integrated Cellular. Acts as your onboard WiFi router and supports multiple internet connections (WiFi Extender, optional addon), cellular, and multiple satellite devices. Also includes a powerful satellite firewall to limit bandwidth consumption, and onboard email server, etc for those who are using Xgate email/web/crew services. Managed via any web browser. For same range as dome-style units you would add an external antenna and coax cable to this device and mount the antenna somewhere up high like an arch, spreader, or masthead. The LTE modem in this device is global, works around the world with any SIM.

Wave WiFi MBR-550 - Similar to the Redport device but with a much simpler interface. Like the Redport, it can automatically switch between wifi, cellular, and satellite, and limit access for certain devices on your network depending on the internet connection. WiFi Extender is optional, and an external cellular antenna is recommended. Same as the Redport. The primary advantage with the MBR-550 over the Redport is ease-of-use. It's dead simple to setup and manage. The LTE modem in this device is global, works around the world with any SIM (it is the same modem as the Redport device).

Wave WiFi Tidalwave - Not a router, but a Cellular and WiFi Extender designed for larger vessels. Has high performance (multi-antenna MIMO) for 2.4Ghz WiFi, 5.8Ghz WiFi, and LTE Cellular. The unit mounts inside the boat with 3 antennas, plus 3 more external antennas with coax are included. It connects to your on board network (any router you have) using a gigabit ethernet port. Like the MBR-550 it is dead simple to use. The LTE modem in this device is global, works around the world with any SIM.

MVG NeptuLink (v2) - A mast mounted device with LTE cellular and WiFi Extender in one unit. Supports two SIM cards and can switch between them. Has WiFi for connecting from your devices or an ethernet cable to connect down to an onboard WiFi router. Supports many bands and likely works in most countries. Not quite as high performance as the Tidalwave, KVH, Redport, or MBR-550.
Old 28-12-2018, 17:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

I forgot the Winegard ConnecT 4G1xM which is only $479, has WiFi and LTE extenders and a Wifi and Ethernet connection to below decks. Connect it to any router inside the boat. It's US/Canada only, AND it relies on a Winegard SIM card so you pay for Winegard's plan, similar to KVH.

It's USA and Canada only right now. It appears the hardware may support AT&T and Verizon, along with roaming partners in Canada. In any case the Winegard plans at a higher per-GB (but lower entry point) compared to KVH, but when you get upwards of 150GB of data it's cheaper per-GB compared to KVH. If you are looking for a USA/Canada solution, the Winegard unit is likely the cheapest option and appears to work quite well.
Old 31-12-2018, 09:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

I expanded my answer into a larger blog post with more details. It may be helpful.. https://www.sea-tech.com/2018/12/30/...e-for-my-boat/