Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 02:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Keeping in Contact via Mobile Network vs SSB

Hi,

One for the Aussie coastal cruisers only purhaps.

Accordingly to the service provider (Telstra) there is fairly extensive coastal coverage provided by their Next G mobile network. It would appear that by fitting a 9db antennae, or similar, I could have access to the mobile network and broadband all the way across Bass Strait. For those of us not planning to head across bluewater in the near future - this sounds much less complex and better vaue than setting up SSB.

I would be interested to learn of other's experiences.
Sweet As is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 04:43   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Hi,

I've no experience in Australia but Britain has a fairly developed 3G network. There are places, even less than a mile from the coast, where there is no reception. The last thing I'd do is trust it far enough to rely on it for communications at the moment when the crap hits the fan. I'd be very surprised if you could maintain contact right the way across the strait, I don't think you could do that even with VHF. The Bass strait's reputation precedes it, if you want comms for safety, SSB or an Iridium phone seem to be the way to go.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 01:24   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380
Thanks Fishwife,

I take your point - I certainly wouldn't want to rely on the mobile network for emergencies - but for a resonably prices way to keep in contact via phone or internet it has advantages. I am able to use the 3G network on a handset around the north coast of Tasmania and pick it up again passing the north of Flinders Island. Next G is reputeded to offer even better coverage, particular with an external antennae.
Mobile Out to Sea Coverage - Telstra
Sweet As is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 10:40   #4

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Wow, I'm impressed by Telstra's coverage. There does seem to be a straight line route between Tasmania and the mainland at both the East and West ends of the island.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote