Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 15:11   #1

Boat: 36.5 Wylie Custom Cold Molded Cruising Cutter
Is The Wireie Pro better then a cell phone hot spot?

I started another thread earlier today about comparing the leading WiFi antenna providers. i distilled what I learned from that into the above question.
From what I learned today, Bitstorm, The Wireie, Rogue Wave and The Groove all have a good product that performs equally well and supported, but they are offered at different price points. The Rogue Wave is double the cost of a Groove for example. Bob at Island Time sells the Microtik Groove for about $250. with a router and excels at customer service. The Wireie has the only 3/4G option available in a plug and play product. One can buy the WiFi only Wireie AP+ version for $399. and then upgrade when you need to the Wireie Pro and have 3G/4G on command.
If I just wanted WiFi, I'd get the Groove. But I know someday soon I am going to need a 3/G option as well so I have go decide if 3G is going to be connected to by an unlocked cell phne or The Wireie Pro. For either solution, one has to buy a sim card from a cell phone carrier in that country and then install it either in the cell phone or the Wirie Pro. So the big question is:

IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO THE WIREIE PRO OVER A CELL PHONE HOTSPOT AND IS IT WORTH THE ADDITIONAL $350.00 MORE THEN A GROOVE/ CELL PHONE HOT SPOT SOLUTION?
Onemoreproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 16:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Is The Wireie Pro better then a cell phone hot spot?

Of course you know from the other thread I'm wondering the same, but near as I can find out, if there is just one or two people, and you don't mind the hotspot leaving when the phone goes ashore, and you don't need simultaneous voice and data, then no it's not worth it.
Since it will be just my Wife and I and I assume we will go ashore together, and I don't need to download anything while she is talking on the phone. I can't see why it would be worth it for us.
The one unknown is range, I assume the Wirie Pro will send and receive when the signal strength is too low for a phone to connect, but unless it's a huge difference, $700 is a lot of money.
I don't know that, just guessing, but unless it has much greater range, I'm having a hard time justifying it.
And I'm having a hard time justifying Wifi period, if I take the couple or three hundred dollars it cost and buy data with it, that's a lot of data, and I almost never get Wifi that is worth using.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 16:20   #3

I use the net a lot when I can get it and its worth it to me to have WiFi for sure. Just wondering about the cell phone vs Wireie Pro. Lets see if anyone knows providing that posters can stay on topic and resist hijacking this thread.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:44   #4

Re: What is your experience using cell phones as hot spots in other countries?

Well folks, it seems like not many people have much to say about the Wireie Pro yet. Perhaps the price is impeding sales.

So perhaps people might have more experience and comments regarding the use of cell phones as hot spots in other countries.

I'd like to hear about the quality of connectivity, costs and ease or difficulty of acquireing sim cards in different countries and harbors.Particularly in Mexico, French Polynesia, New Zealand and Australia.

Thanks in advance for your input on this subject!!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:44   #5

Boat: Bavaria 51

Buy an unlocked mifi (personal wifi) <$100, connects 3 devices. Find the best place on the yacht for reception, seal it in plastic or the usb port will corrode within the hour (mine is in a spice container with a hole dug through the plastic for the charging cable)
Each new country, buy 2 sims, one for the phone, one for the mifi. Then buy 2 prepaid plans, the phone heavy on calls/txt, the mifi only for data, usually good for a month, but in some countries you can buy a daily rate.
When in range the phone connects to the mifi and that saves that sims data for when I am ashore.

Buy "unlimited" data for the mifi. In reality you get about a gig a day at 4g, over that it steps down to 3g (unlimited = fair use policy, so ask what that is).

Works at least 12nm offshore on east coast Australia, subject to islands getting in the way. Same for Thailand and Philippines.

I use the phone as a hotspot for a lappie when ashore, out of range of the yacht's mifi, good for emails, maps Facebook, Skype, and all the other stuff a well connected yachtie needs on the go.
Rivatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01   #6

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I have and use both. I'm not sure it is really an "either/or" scenario. We use our boat as an office with both wife and myself running laptops, printer, and ipads. When we are in range with the Wirie at say, a Marina, signal is usually strong, and if we want to watch Netflix, etc., its free data. Our Verizon MIFI also works well but is wholly dependent on Verizon's signal strength. We have a 20 gig plan so rarely top out especially when doing the marina thing more than the anchorage thing. In summary, I have both, and both contribute well in their own way to our wired (wireless) world we now live in.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
I have and use both. I'm not sure it is really an "either/or" scenario. We use our boat as an office with both wife and myself running laptops, printer, and ipads. When we are in range with the Wirie at say, a Marina, signal is usually strong, and if we want to watch Netflix, etc., its free data. Our Verizon MIFI also works well but is wholly dependent on Verizon's signal strength. We have a 20 gig plan so rarely top out especially when doing the marina thing more than the anchorage thing. In summary, I have both, and both contribute well in their own way to our wired (wireless) world we now live in.
So it sounds like you use the Wirie for Wi-F mostly or exclusively. And my thigh and phone for 3G. Since that's how you use it are you are you using an AP plus? Or perhaps a Pro is not necessary. I am looking forward to your response.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:04   #8

Quote:
How much does the unlimited card cost? Can you give me prices for different countries? I'm trying to evaluate the cost effectiveness and performance of cell phones versus the Wieri . Thank you
Old 06-04-2016, 11:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
How much does the unlimited card cost? Can you give me prices for different countries? I'm trying to evaluate the cost effectiveness and performance of cell phones versus the Wieri . Thank you

Not sure what you mean by AP Plus. Basically, the Wirie I have is a stand alone unit, with no external router or other equipment needed. As stated, it will also pick up my Verizon MIFI unit, or actually my IPhone hot spot as well and re-distribute it throughout.
Hope that helps?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:38   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
I started another thread earlier today about comparing the leading WiFi antenna providers. i distilled what I learned from that into the above question.
From what I learned today, Bitstorm, The Wireie, Rogue Wave and The Groove all have a good product that performs equally well and supported, but they are offered at different price points. The Rogue Wave is double the cost of a Groove for example. Bob at Island Time sells the Microtik Groove for about $250. with a router and excels at customer service. The Wireie has the only 3/4G option available in a plug and play product. One can buy the WiFi only Wireie AP+ version for $399. and then upgrade when you need to the Wireie Pro and have 3G/4G on command.
If I just wanted WiFi, I'd get the Groove. But I know someday soon I am going to need a 3/G option as well so I have go decide if 3G is going to be connected to by an unlocked cell phne or The Wireie Pro. For either solution, one has to buy a sim card from a cell phone carrier in that country and then install it either in the cell phone or the Wirie Pro. So the big question is:

IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO THE WIREIE PRO OVER A CELL PHONE HOTSPOT AND IS IT WORTH THE ADDITIONAL $350.00 MORE THEN A GROOVE/ CELL PHONE HOT SPOT SOLUTION?
OneMore...

We use both a WiriePro for WiFi [and sometimes cellular data] and a cellular phone booster cradle for cellular data using our phones as a hot spot.

For us these were the best plug-n-play solutions providing the most flexibility with the least geek time... [And we are both retired geeks...]

We have detailed our choices on this page in the Stuff we have and use side bar on our blog if you want more details.

Best wishes finding what is best for your needs.

Cheers!

Bill

PS: We include some SIM card resources we have found useful on the above referenced blog page. We keep those pages current with our findings for future reference.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:43   #11

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by AP Plus. Basically, the Wirie I have is a stand alone unit, with no external router or other equipment needed. As stated, it will also pick up my Verizon MIFI unit, or actually my IPhone hot spot as well and re-distribute it throughout.
Hope that helps?
There are 2 models offered by The Wirie. The AP+ which is WiFi only and the Wirie Pro, which is WiFi Plus 4G.
Which one do you have?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Never used the Wireie, but used the Alfa 36 Alfa R36 Router for AWUS036H & other, Create hotspot / Access Point. Wireless Bridge / Repeater

The issue now a days is lots of wifi is not open/free. Some that are, are fee based and cost more then a gig of data would per day. Others at marina's etc tend to be a bit overloaded.

I found that a cell hot spot works rather well from a boat. Big plus is the hot spots, unlike most cell phones come with an external antenna port, which can increase the range by 2 miles or more with the right antenna. I use http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-MiFi-Jetpack-4510L-External/dp/B00DANUZGI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1459972512&sr=8-9&keywords=cell+hotspot+antenna,

The antenna works with att and tmobile hot spots too. Mine is mounted to a bread pan on deck for a ground plane.

I work from the boat and use somewhere between 7 to 9 gigs a month. Pretty much all of it cell based. Video is too spendy to watch, but video is normally too slow by wifi too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:07   #13

Quote:
There are 2 models offered by The Wirie. The AP+ which is WiFi only and the Wirie Pro, which is WiFi Plus 4G.
Which one do you have?
Now I understand. I have the Wirie, not the pro.
Old 06-04-2016, 19:30   #14

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

thanks Sailorchic I also use the alfa with an 8 dbi antenna. but the tip on the antenna and link for the hot spot was good. that will deff. come in handy with my T Mobile
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:09   #15

Boat: Kolibri 12'sloop

Just to add.I have never used one on water(My cell reception is good where
i sail)But we have used cell signal boosters on remote jobsites and they really work well,even better with a high antenna ,and costs are getting much better.
Any comments on range over water,with mast antenna?
ReneL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, phone