Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2018, 15:19   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is the radar an obsolete equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If anyone really wants to know why radar is important even in narrow river waterways, then just spend twenty minutes watching this episode of “Forensic Files” about the most deadly train derailment in US history. Cutting to the chase, but not being a spoiler, it involves a boat with radar installed and a skipper who didn’t know how to use it, and who didn’t think knowing how to use radar was an important skill to learn. 47 people died.

Does this sound familiar?

I rest my case..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 15:36   #77

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Is the radar an obsolete equipment?

As someone who has traveled between Florida and the Bahamas for 40 years with varying degrees of technology. Think of every piece of eguipment provides one more source of information or data to help you make choices. If the question is CAN you go without radar - most definitely - most of the time.
But after years of crossing without I can definitely say that if you do night navigation or long distance legs of trips where weather can change or there are heavy shipping lanes then radar is definitely not unnecessary
Many vessels do not transmit AIS. I can think of several night crossings that I was sure glad to have the Radar. The new ones - even the little radomes do a good job of integrating AIS and Doppler to make it easier(read safer) to recognize target priority. Coming or going.
Judging traffic at night visually is a real bear. Very hard to tell headings of traffic and even distance. Radar is a godsend at those times.
If you only do short hops and limit yourself to daylight travel the radar can be omitted but otherwise if you have an old power hungry radar that works I would still recommend upgrading to the newest technology.
Otherwise a good chart plotter and depth sounder will do the trick.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 16:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgiev View Post
Hello everyone,

My child dream is half way in - did purchase a Sefarer 34 last summer, put some work to restore it, and hopefully next summer it will be on the water. One question I can not firmly decide is if it's worth to keep the radar (JRC 1800) or to remove it. Aesthetically the boat will be better without, and I am not sure what advantage it adds.

A GPS knows every rock, the AIS will know every ship, except small ones, and as a friend put it, I have better chance of winning the lottery than hitting a small vessel. So what the radar is for? And it's power hungry.

Opinions welcome!
Thanks, George
JRC 1800, I would keep it. the AIS will know every ship! wrong! Many do not emit the AIS signal for security reasons. Further more, you never know when you will need it. Also it depends on your sailing grounds. Give yourself some time before removing it. We used ours on a rescue vessel for over twenty years and it became second nature to use and we always had it on even during fair weather and many time we were happy to have it on...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 19:04   #79

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If you had everything on the boat you OUGHT to have, there would be no room for you. You OUGHT to have a radar, and a second radar. Ideally one well up on the mast, one down low on an arch or mizzen mast or etc. Well, we don't usually have everything we ought to have, due to lack of space or finances, and so we have to prioritize. The case for radar has been well made and I will endeavor not to repeat much of it. But I would say if you have a couple $k burning a hole in your pocket, a radar is a pretty sensible purchase and needs to be fairly high priority IMHO. Not only for collision/allision avoidance but also for pilotage purposes. A couple of radar ranges gives you a very good position and point of reference. And let's not forget weather warning. The wx broadcasts will often have you reefing many hours early or else late, especially at night. okay yeah, I don't currently have a radar on either boat and GF boat doesn't have one either. We don't have a lot of things we ought to have. But of those things, Radar is near the top of the priority scale.
Old 24-11-2018, 19:11   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I rest my case..
Phil,

Did you watch the video? Thick fog, he didn't learn how to use radar, then when he absolutely needed it when nothing else would do the job, the skipper didn't know how to use it, etc. 47 people dead, over 130 injured.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 21:09   #81

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

We get fog so thick up here that you can't see the bow. Radar has saved me more than once. What scares me most are young drunk teenagers running daddy's boat at 30 knots. You can definitely hit small boats. The big ones are usually responsible, going slowly and using proper blasts.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 21:13   #82

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Fog is common in my home waters, as are many small fishing boats. I would not own a boat without radar.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 01:04   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keno.. theres fog in the English Channel, theres fog on the French coast, NW Spain and down the Portuguese coast and I have managed just fine as I am.
What you do suits you and your style of boat handling.. what I do suits mine.. lets leave it at that.
I have nothing against those who choose to use it just as I have nothing against those who choose not to singlehand across oceans.
People also tell me its not safe to do what I do wothout shorebased weather 'gurus' advosing me across the Atlantic.
All the film proves is its just another tool that guarantees nothing other than it gives idiots the conviction they are invunerable.
I am convinced all car drivers should be compelled to ride m'bikes for 2yrs before they are allowed to drive a car.. But hey.. might as well post that lettter to Santa.
Good job theres plenty pf other delivery skippers to choose from..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-11-2018, 01:08   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

stupidity is lacking of judgement (Kant)

So it depends:

Nobody will be out on fog if he can avoid it.
Nobody will need a radar if someone is on watch - always - and not sleeping!
Nobody with a small daysailer will need a radar.
-----------------
Hmm - nobody needs lights on his car while driving in sunshine
to be continued.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 05:52   #85

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I always hesitate to put anything on here as there are always posters who know better, but I have sailed here in Nova Scotia for well over 40 years, wrote the definitive cruising guide to the place , and travelled to the Bahamas and back.

Some time next week, in my home waters, more than 2000 fishing boats, most of them 50 feet long will be loose on the water. They all have radar, many have two, and NONE will be putting out on AIS. They may see you , but may well not if they are setting traps. In any case, they will be the stand on vessel. If you sail though this fleet without radar it is quite likely you will hit something. The sailing directions give more than 20 days of fog for every month of summer, and if you don't mind staying in port for two weeks waiting for it to clear, and you only sail in daylight, yes, you can do with out it, and I certainly did in the past. It wasn't easy and its very easy to come to grief.
For me, radar is the most useful single electronic instrument on the boat, and if you can afford one ( cheaper than many plotters) it is foolhardy in a place like this not to have one. My little Furuno only uses 2.2 A on transmit.
And, yes, a 30 knot fog breeze and 50 feet visibility is not the best time to learn to use it.
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 05:57   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

FakeBook and online chat rooms have replaced the need for Radar and for that matter ever boats. Why mess with it for real when you can do it all online.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 06:25   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Phil,

Did you watch the video? Thick fog, he didn't learn how to use radar, then when he absolutely needed it when nothing else would do the job, the skipper didn't know how to use it, etc. 47 people dead, over 130 injured.

Ken
Keno..
I have just watched the video and as far as I am concerned the main cause of the accident is the low standard of boat handling, navigational training and regulation of river pilots and tug boat captains in your country.
I used to hold the commercial boat master licence grade 2 in the UK.. this qualified me to operate passenger vessels capable of carrying 220 passengers on a given stretch of water.. a licence for which my boat management and navigation skills required testing every 5 years.
If I wished to transfer from say the Solent to the Thames and its estuary I would have to take and pass another test to prove my knowledge of those waters before I could operate a commercial vessel there.
The film does not demonstrate so much the benifit of radar.. more the pathetic state of the training and regulation of your boat operators and pilots.
Sorry if the above is not what your looking to hear.

Old 25-11-2018, 06:36   #88

Boat: Beneteau

Anyone asking those questions probably has no idea about the more important and in depth purposes of the radar.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 06:40   #89

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I always hesitate to put anything on here as there are always posters who know better, but I have sailed here in Nova Scotia for well over 40 years, wrote the definitive cruising guide to the place , and travelled to the Bahamas and back.

Some time next week, in my home waters, more than 2000 fishing boats, most of them 50 feet long will be loose on the water. They all have radar, many have two, and NONE will be putting out on AIS. They may see you , but may well not if they are setting traps. In any case, they will be the stand on vessel. If you sail though this fleet without radar it is quite likely you will hit something. The sailing directions give more than 20 days of fog for every month of summer, and if you don't mind staying in port for two weeks waiting for it to clear, and you only sail in daylight, yes, you can do with out it, and I certainly did in the past. It wasn't easy and its very easy to come to grief.
For me, radar is the most useful single electronic instrument on the boat, and if you can afford one ( cheaper than many plotters) it is foolhardy in a place like this not to have one. My little Furuno only uses 2.2 A on transmit.
And, yes, a 30 knot fog breeze and 50 feet visibility is not the best time to learn to use it.
Amen to that. I'm in Newfoundland and fog here moves fast and can be like peasoup in a flash so you had better get ready to move through it with no idea what lies ahead. Throw in a few icebergs and a good time is had by all.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 06:53   #90

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
Addiction has it's consequences.
Your statement is true, your comments are rubbish.

Squalls have sunk boats bigger than ours. Finding a path of least fury can save a boat or reduce damage.

Your eyes can spot flotsam at night? Are you using Gen 2 or 3?

I don’t have radar or NV but I’m not dumb enough to tell someone not to employ them if they like and can.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men, radar