Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 14:23   #16

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
Re: Is Active Captain still useful? How to add a location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
... BTW - Garmin has since brought AquaMap
Quote:
and to the reader who just posted on the bob423 icw FB page looking for amno to say I'm wrong about garmin and aquamap, how many other sites are you "traveling" around in looking for opportunity to correct the internet?

I could be wrong, but does it matter any little bit
Well, that would be me ... and I was simply surprised to see where you said that Garmin had bought AquaMaps because I had not heard/read that over on the ICW site that always has great AquaMap information. If it's correct, hats off to ya ... if it's not, well, then it's not.

Just as a FYI, I'm always willing to correct what I believe is incorrectly stated in forums so people have the truth - is that such a terrible thing?
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:27   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
SB1, do you know if it has full capabilities in the Android version? Did you ever use it? It seems that the tutorial is only available on iOS, I wonder if everything else is avalibale on both operating systems.
We have been running both iPad and Android the last few weeks. So far the Android version is working just fine and the only thing I can't seem to get it to do is project the gps heading like on my iPad

far as the tutorial, the settings and everything on both are pretty much the same far as I can tell
Old 13-05-2019, 15:06   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico

I trust crowd source more than I do sponsored descriptions, especially if is from other sailors that I know or know to have a good feel for what makes a good anchorage or marina. If I don't trust other sailors then I have to rely on the marina that writes it's own description somewhere or some 5 year old guidebook. So that's not the issue for me.

I am just having trouble entering new spots on there. I can review existing anchorages or marinas, but not enter new ones. I am trying it on the internet and on my android phone. I have an account and can see the charts etc but not enter a new spot for comment.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:57   #19

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Quote:
BTW - Garmin has since brought AquaMap
This statement is incorrect as verified with the app's author/owner.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:01   #20

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I am just having trouble entering new spots on there. I can review existing anchorages or marinas, but not enter new ones. I am trying it on the internet and on my android phone. I have an account and can see the charts etc but not enter a new spot for comment.
Not sure this is the problem, but you have to register/log-in to AC in order to post a new entry. I know some people had problems logging in to the new (Garmin) AC with their old AC log-in. You might have to do so now by registering on the Garmin website.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:14   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
BTW - Garmin has since brought AquaMap
Wait, WHAT???

Can someone point me to a press release or other such official info?
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:27   #22
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
Great, you win
Old 13-05-2019, 17:11   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post

Good, because if Garmin did, it would be to kill it, like they did their App.
The Aquamap is in my opinion the only App I’ve found that is as good as or better than the Garmin blue chart App was.

C-map has Explorer data, which is great, but Aquamaps has the actual Explorer charts, not just the data, which is better.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 14:47   #24

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

AC seems more difficult to use now so I have been using Waterwayguide now the way I used to use AC.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:50   #25

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Good, because if Garmin did, it would be to kill it, like they did their App.
The Aquamap is in my opinion the only App I’ve found that is as good as or better than the Garmin blue chart App was.

C-map has Explorer data, which is great, but Aquamaps has the actual Explorer charts, not just the data, which is better.
What about EMBARK with c-map charts, free to use when online or pay to download charts, anybody using it?
Old 14-05-2019, 16:18   #26
CLOD

I’m in an area I don’t know. Anchored in a place i’ve never been.

Yet I knew the depth and the bottom type and knew where to take the dinghy in order to get ashore and go to the store and get some ribeye steaks and wine for dinner.

All because other cruiser/boaters have posted the details on Active Captain. So Active Captain int dea, please take the time post reviews etc even if it is a little harder than in the past.
Old 14-05-2019, 17:27   #27

Boat: C&C

I've done the same thing that "danko" has done. I had nothing but problems trying to re-register with the new AC once Garmin took over so I gave up on it totally.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 10:20   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I know there has been a lot said about Garmin acquiring Active Captain, and a lot of issues for developers. I am of course just interested in the practical effect on a casual user.

I haven't used it in a while until recently, and I am really confused. It used to be like Trip Advisor - you go somewhere (anchor somewhere) and then rate and review it. If you found a new anchorage you marked it and made your comments and it was there for all to see.

Am I seeing that now it is different? If I go to a particular spot that someone has already listed and is showing as an anchorage I can review it, but I am unable to mark a new anchorage. That seems crazy and is that really true?

I don't have a Garmin chartplotter, but I do have an inReach and I have Navionics charts. What am I missing? How do I use Active Captain now and if it has changed so significantly, what are the current alternatives?
We were unable to apply our Active Captain data and password after Garmen. They send standard form letters for a while for the conversion but nothing worked. Garmen was unresponsive in handling the problem. I gave up.

I suggest you check out zuluwaterways as the replacement. The founders are responsive to suggestions and it’s reasonably easy to use.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 11:40   #29

Boat: Stevens 47

I missed the messages to migrate my account as we were away from internet for a few months. As we prepare to return to North America I did start a new account and download the Active Captain data to Coastal Explorer. Seems to work well in Coastal Explorer offline and the Active Captain webpage was easier enough to use to create some new anchorage data.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:17   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The Aqua Map charts outside the USA are sketchy. Some good, some not. I don’t use Aqua Map for navigation but mostly for planning. Still it has been a life saver in some instances. I really like, their support has been top notch.

I’d like to give a shout out to an app called Pocket Earth, for land navigation. We are traveling quite a bit and his app allows you to download very detailed road maps with some stores, infrastructure noted. For instance accurate maps of Dominique and Grenada, handy when trying to find the hospital. They also have a topo plug-in. I’ve been looking at Greenland and it’s the ONLY info I can find that lists the various towns. It’s been very helpful.

INavex is struggling since the demise of Fugawi (bastards!) as they relied on Fugawi for their chart licenses. Here’s hoping they can work through this mess. It’s a great product.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain