Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 14:21   #16

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Is a "Radar Guard" worth it?

I didn't have a guard for my Round TV antennae mounted above first spreader, the topping lift of the spinnaker got around it, would think the side force due the banging 120% would have been more than enough to break any plastic. Was only learning the boat then, but a issue not anticipated.
Old 12-02-2019, 21:52   #17
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I went to the boat today and checked how close the 90% jib can get to the mast. To my luck, it leaves a good safe distance right above the steaming light, where I plan to install the radar. So this solved the issue for me, no radar guard and I will use the money elsewhere!

Thank you for the inputs. As always, greatly appreciated.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
I am in the process of installing a radar to my Catalina 320. Radar is a Raymarine Quantum and the mount is a Scanstrut Sc20 mast mount.

There is also a Scanstrut Sc27 Radar Guard for this mount but it almost doubles the price. I am wondering if it is worth it.

I am using a 90% jib and the radar will be above the steaming light, above the first spreaders.

What is your experience with radar guards? Should I invest in it or just skip and use the money for something else?
Considering that I just spent $400+ dollars for repair of my Jib Leech where the radome tore it, it seems that $249 plus install might be a good deal. In fact, I've been looking for that part, but didn't know that was a good source!
wcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:30   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don't have radar, don't need guards, but I wouldn't install anything the foresail could snag, without putting guards on it. If you lose a dorade vent overboard, that just stings. But now imagine that same playful foresail grabbing your radar...and you've got to repair the radar, replace the cabling, repair the big tear in the sail, and hope the whole thing didn't do a nosedive into the deck or a hatch.

Nuh-uh, no thanks. Go for the guard.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar