Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 16:16   #1

Boat: Island Packet IP38
iPhone Not Suitable for Marine Environment

Just wanted to advise everyone as to what I was told by Apple tech support. The wireless had stopped working after the upgrade to firmware 3.0. Even though that this is a known issue with the Iphone. When the phone was shipped to Apple they informed me that the water sensor had been activated and that I would have to pay for a replacement phone. My phone has never been in the water and after doing some research I found this to be a common problem.

Apple iPhone 3G dies when exposed to Belgian water test « Antwerp Calling

Apple also informed me that the Iphone is not suitable for use in the marine environment since this normally falls outside of the 95% relative humidity that are within the iphones environmental specifications.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:25   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky205 View Post
Just wanted to advise everyone as to what I was told by Apple tech support. ...

Apple iPhone 3G dies when exposed to Belgian water test « Antwerp Calling

Apple also informed me that the Iphone is not suitable for use in the marine environment since this normally falls outside of the 95% relative humidity ...
You would need something more substantial than a ziplock freezer bag. One of the flexible, waterproof, camera bags; with ability to touch & swipe the screen through the plastic. Would need a bag of not too fierce dessicant inside, too. And the firmware problem ? Have to read about that.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:26   #3

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Another junk apple product. My Ipod was laying on the table, and condisation from a glass next to it was enough to kill it.
Old 19-08-2009, 16:28   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Apple also informed me that the Iphone is not suitable for use in the marine environment since this normally falls outside of the 95% relative humidity that are within the iphones environmental specifications.
Either look for an aftermarket storage (e.g., flexible container, otterbox, pelican) or use a ziplock bag.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:21   #5

YIKES, I just got an iPhone and use it to tether the laptop on the mooring.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:30   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
YIKES, I just got an iPhone and use it to tether the laptop on the mooring.
Is there an app to bring up the current radar loop?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I have a Google G1. It has a moisture sensor inside the battery case, that if it gets wet, will void the warranty. I look at it regularly, and it's still white. I'm guessing something else happened to your phone? BTW, one DOES need to be careful about taking it outside in 100% humidity, when it's been sitting in ice cold A/C below!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:45   #8

Boat: Endeavour 40
I've been torturing my phone since the 3G came out through all kinds of weather and using the iNav program as my primary nav with the phone attached to the pedestal for several weeks now with no issues. FWIW I do have it in a rubber case that is pretty tight, don't know if that is helping me some or not. I too think you might have had some other problem that just showed when you sent it in the last time.
s/v Geneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:57   #9

Boat: Island Packet IP38
I'm just rlaying what Apple said.

Phone was returned to Apple for a wireless problem. Tech support just advised operating the Iphone above 95% humidity or any condensation would cause the LSI sensoe to activate voiding any warranty. I like the applications for the iphone. We live aboard and are full time crusisers, so my phone does see a lot of use. I would advise watching the lsi sensors, you can see one in the charging port and another in the headphone jack. So far the 2 we have now have not turned. There is an article on the web concerning the high humidity in singapore killing the phones.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 09:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
I use an Iphone on the boat all the time. It works great, most of the time. AT&T reception is good to about 10-15 miles off shore. Our marina offers free wifi, so at dock I get all the good apps, tides info and others. I do not use a cover, but most people do.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:30   #11

Boat: Baba 35
Has anyone tried a product like this one?
ewa-marine*:*iWP for iPhone*

I am often not a fan of pouches, but my First Gen iPhone is heavy and bulky enough as it is. Adding a hardcase would make it even more painful to sit on!
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 13:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I just Googled "waterproof iPhone case" and found a bunch of them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 14:06   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I don't have a Iphone but a really old Sanyo scp7050. It has none of the extra stuff but it is indestructable. I has been in fresh water at least 3x and salt 2x. I take out the battery flush everything with fresh water, shake dry, and put it on the dashboard in the sun to dry. No problems. It is so old the rubber "armor" is starting to fall off. I drop it all the time with seemingly no ill effects and the battery lasts for about a week between charges.

I think some of the stuff for sale now is just crap and they use various excuses to blame YOU for it's demise. 95% humidity will kill this phone? Are they kidding? That thing wouldn't last 5minutes in Houston in August. Or 10min in my right front pocket if you get my drift.

Seems the polish is coming off some of the Apple products but my Ipod shuffle seems to put up with a lot of abuse and still works so much better than carting around its 75cd altenative................m
Old 20-08-2009, 14:28   #14

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I have a 2-year-old Edge iPhone that has had many a beer spilled on it. The mic doesn't work so great on it, but everything else functions fine. I upgraded to a 3GS about six weeks ago because I wanted navigation and video, and I was tired of people not being able to hear me unless I was using an earpiece. The 3GS has gone out on me once while on the boat saying it was too hot to operate and wouldn't function until it cooled down, but no moisture problems as of yet.

I never had any trouble with the wireless and 3.0 firmware either, but I was testing all the beta versions of 3.0, so I didn't go straight from 2.2 to the 3.0 release software.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 04:11   #15

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Phone was returned to Apple for a wireless problem. Tech support just advised operating the Iphone above 95% humidity or any condensation would cause the LSI sensoe to activate voiding any warranty. I like the applications for the iphone. We live aboard and are full time crusisers, so my phone does see a lot of use. I would advise watching the lsi sensors, you can see one in the charging port and another in the headphone jack. So far the 2 we have now have not turned. There is an article on the web concerning the high humidity in singapore killing the phones.
I don't think anyone is trying to give you any heat but the everyone does seem to think it makes sense get some sort of protective device for that which you value... and is fragile.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
environment, iphone