Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 19:44   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Ipad or Galaxy?

I was thinking of buying new laptop, but as I already own a couple of them, have thought that it might pay to get an I pad and team it up with my laptop on board with the Nav apps ect.
I have recently read a very good article which looked at allot of the pros and cons of the Ipad. It looks like it would be a great addition.
What I really would like to know, is if the apps available for the Ipad are also available for the Samsung galaxy. Making it a feasable option to the Ipad.
Also, while I am on the subject. What’s with this add currently on the top of my screen, as I type. It has Ipads at $51.54 & Galaxy’s at $47.70. Are they for real?? Or some sort of scam?

Regards Jeff
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:10   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Ipad or Galaxy?

I guess you've been surfing around looking at tablets. So related ads pop up here. It's the wonder of technology.

I get different ads based on what I've viewed recently, as do others.

But I can guess what the ads you see are. They are the "bid" sites. Basically you pay a fee up front for the privilege of bidding on the items in small increments. I'm sure someone gets a good deal, but the majority pay over and over to bid for an item at a small price. Essentially paying market value in the long run even if the selling price seems very low.

There are several auction sites doing this now.

Again, I'm guessing since I don't see the same ads.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa
I was thinking of buying new laptop, but as I already own a couple of them, have thought that it might pay to get an I pad and team it up with my laptop on board with the Nav apps ect.
I have recently read a very good article which looked at allot of the pros and cons of the Ipad. It looks like it would be a great addition.
What I really would like to know, is if the apps available for the Ipad are also available for the Samsung galaxy. Making it a feasable option to the Ipad.
Also, while I am on the subject. What’s with this add currently on the top of my screen, as I type. It has Ipads at $51.54 & Galaxy’s at $47.70. Are they for real?? Or some sort of scam?

Regards Jeff
Never was an apple fan. Company migrated to iPhone from Blackberry. Still wasn't a fan. Visited my sister and played with her ipad. Became a fan quick!

I have a 32gb non-wifi original ipad. I find new uses for it every day but I continue to run up against its limitations as a mobile computing device. More accurately I will call it a mobile entertainment and application device. I can't see it as a repalcement for creating content in any of, word documents, powerpoint, excel, video and media editing and creation etc. etc. There are people using them but I dont think they are there yet.

Having said that I use my ipad for:

Music & video both stored (iTunes) and streaming (netflix). I use a CV cable and port it to my bigscreen TV. A big downside is that apple still does not have flash and really should.
Internet browsing and rersearching. Some websites don't render perfectly and without flash lots of sites dont run at all. Now however more and more sites are building mobile friendly versions.
Photo album
Travel and banking applications
Books - both iStore and Kindle - although the kindle is better as a book reader I like that the ipad does it all. EBooks still don't compare to paper but its the modern world and I can carry 40 books around
Social media - facebook, youtube, forums etc. I bought my gf the ipad 2 and she does skype and facetime
News & weather - lots os free and oaid apps out there
Games - lots of fun and entertaining diversion available for free or next to free

Boating apps - I bought two different gps pucks and use navionics. Brilliant.

Anchor alarm and drag queen - excellent

I don't know much about the galaxy. I do know that when I can justify replacing my ipad I will go with apples lates offering and max out the memory.

It really puts +80% of your connectivity and entertainment needs in one convenient portable package.

And in the interest of stats here are some random internet stats I collected. Apple is going to dominate for a while yet but developers will definitely be prting more and more to the galaxy.

Several star map applications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1695655034.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	39480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2604060529.jpg
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	39481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1335840808.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	39482   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1724823695.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	39483  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:07   #4

Boat: Swarbrick 40

I was thinking of getting the latest WhyFi model and rather than getting the 4g option I was thinking of using the portable hotspot on our IPhone with a view to upgrading the phone to keep up with the latest 3g, 4g, ect.
Does this sound like a good option or is there something I have missed.
Hoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 22:48   #5

Boat: Leopard 40
I have the iPad 3G 64 gig and have 16 sailing related apps loaded. +1 on the Navionics as a secondary plotter. PocketGrib is another app I find useful for weather forecasting. I'm trying an electronic ship's log, but still keep paper because I'm not convinced it's easier.

With 64 gig of storage I carry a lot of music which I can push through the boat's speakers. I also like the app called FaceTime to video link to my daughter and the twin grand babies (seems easier to use than Skype).

When I first got the iPad last December I thought of it more as entertainment than a real computer, but I'm starting to change my mind on that also with an app called Quick Books that creates spreadsheets, presentations, word processor, etc. I also have an HP Envy 110 printer on board that allows me to print stuff from the iPad like grib screen shots.

Drawbacks are that Adobe Flash Adobe cannot be run, therefore Active Captain runs through my laptop. I find the iPad isn't easy to hold on to while at the helm to use the AIS app (but neither is a laptop).

While I find the iPad useful sailing, it remains secondary to my other systems - paper charts, compass, windex, eyeballs, logic, etc.

Another big plus is the battery can last around 10 hours between charges.

This is my first Apple product after 20 years of using MicroSoft and I am impressed........ so far

Good luck on choosing you tablet or iPad.

Curt
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 23:12   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

For my Galaxy it's pretty much the same as above stated about iPad, so think there's not much difference in performance etc.. Either way they are both quite amazing gaskets
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
I was thinking of getting the latest WhyFi model and rather than getting the 4g option I was thinking of using the portable hotspot on our IPhone with a view to upgrading the phone to keep up with the latest 3g, 4g, ect.
Does this sound like a good option or is there something I have missed.
The big confusion on iPads is that unless the ipad is 3g/4g capable the internal gps is not installed. You do not have to have a cellular service or provider activated but the ipad wifi only version has no internal gps.

That said there are two work arounds that I use as my ipad is not 3g.

1 - I use an external gps. There are two types I would recommend and I have both. Bad Elf (strange name) plugs into the 30 pin port like a dongle. The bad news is the 30 pin port is occupied and you can't charge while gps is plugged in. Good news is that it is a self contwined solution. The second gps is the xgps150. This unit comes in over bluethooth. The good news is you can stick the puck anywhere on the boat for reception and the ipad gets it, the 30 pin plug is free to charge the ipad and the gps wont get "knocked" out of the 30 pin port. The bad news is that it uses bluetooth...

Which leads to second solution

2 - I tether my ipad to my iPhone via bluetooth, creating a server that I can browse and get connected with. This works great for browsing, email etc. but is a problem when using maps app in the car with the xgps150 as it also needs bluetooth. The map app dynamically loads maps. Navionics, thankfully, does not need internet to work as maps are downloaded and stored.

Bottom line is get the cellular capable ipad and definitely get 64gig...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:10   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
I thought the iPad2 would be a great addition. It was limited in it's usefulness, so I gave it to my mum. She lOVES it, and the accessibility features are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
They don't come from CF, they come from your own search engine. Mine usually show things like Liverpool University correspondence courses (I am doing an online masters degree), sailing and diving chandlers (that could be from my hobbies) and hot chicks in Kuwait (I don't know where that comes from).
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress

I thought the iPad2 would be a great addition. It was limited in it's usefulness, so I gave it to my mum. She lOVES it, and the accessibility features are great.

They don't come from CF, they come from your own search engine. Mine usually show things like Liverpool University correspondence courses (I am doing an online masters degree), sailing and diving chandlers (that could be from my hobbies) and hot chicks in Kuwait (I don't know where that comes from).
Given the retail price of iPads. And the fact that apple doesnt allow discounting. What do you think !!!!

Dave

iPad ,iPhone,iMac
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15   #10

Boat: Catalina 320 MK II
Quote:
Also, while I am on the subject. What&rsquo;s with this add currently on the top of my screen, as I type. It has Ipads at $51.54 & Galaxy&rsquo;s at $47.70. Are they for real?? Or some sort of scam?

Regards Jeff
Apple iPad all the way. Reliable and intuitive. You get what you pay for.
mukilteomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 16:31   #11

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Get the iPad. Get 3g so you have the GPS. I have never been an apple person, until I got the iPad, and now I'm hooked. I have never been so happy with a piece of technology.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy
Get the iPad. Get 3g so you have the GPS. I have never been an apple person, until I got the iPad, and now I'm hooked. I have never been so happy with a piece of technology.
I have been using the ipad for the last 2 years, and recently bought the ipad 2. I have got to say that it is always with me now even when i go boating. There are several good nav apps and their price are ok
alesail65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:34   #13

Boat: Heritage East (Nova) 44' Trawler

We recently had a 12volt supply problem knock out our primary and secondary GPS while offshore New Jeresy. I grabbed my LG Intuition (Phablet = Phone/tablet) and navigated the next 300 miles to Canada using Active Captain & Nutti Charts. Never thought I would need it for that and now will never travel without it. Another good side of it is that it can make phone calls and act as a hotspot for other devices and is small enough to carry in your pocket for dinghy rides.
BAYBOATER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We navigated for the first time this year using Navionics on my iPhone 6+ and it was awesome. We had also put waypoints into our handheld GPS ahead of time but ended up not using them and taking the route suggested by the Navionics program. I would depend on it for our primary source of navigation, but sure can be great to have as a backup and can serve if something else fails.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

From the "cheapskate side". If you can get your hands on an iPad2 that has not been abused, you can load iNavx and PDFs of all your manuals on it for little money.

Or buy a new full size iPad and put it into a Griffin Case. My iPad is now about 5 years old. I update the OS each time and use it as a back up on the boat. With Vesper wifi it has ais targets and some other data from the network. It is basically a spare plotter down below. But iPads are not good in then tropical sun.

Having all the manuals as PDFs is a double edge sword. As a PDF the manuals are fully searchable. As a PDF, if the iPad dies, unless you have the essentials in paper form, you are SOL.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad