Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 11:19   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Internet while cruising

Roetter - I originally looked at a Wilson booster (they make good stuff), but we decided our trip is not about staying connected like back on land. We were OK having to sit at the nav computer for communications. This allowed us to forgo the booster as the huawei device has a direct antenna connection. Not to mention eliminating all the propagation issues..

Please report back once you have a permanent install. I would be interested to see if it improves.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 11:44   #17
cruiser

OP,

We've watched friends who, like yourself are in the computer business... throw money at the problem using all sorts of antennas and boosters. I don't know specifics on what they used and we chose not to "invest (waste)" our money in solving the problem. I imagine that the stuff they chose wasn't cheap, because in each of the three cases, their boats cost more than 2 million dollars. Every time following an expensive installation of the latest solution at the dock, gleaming with enthusiasm, they'd head out only to be disappointed when their cure-all wouldn't work any better than our handheld cell phone or ipad. The problem is the quality of the signal... if, there's a signal or connection at all to be made. You may be able to draw in or boost a signal, but if it's a crap signal... you still have crap. Amplified crap. Connected to crap. Etc.

Please let us know how your contraption works out. The world's not as "connected" as you think it is once you get outside the major metropolitan areas.

Your quote: "This is one the reasons that CF frustrates me... I was clear in my original post that I had done the research and spoke with active cruisers."

My response: Not half as frustrated as you'll be when you're sitting at an anchorage wondering WTF... why doesn't this &%#@ing thing work!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 12:31   #18

I appreciate your response but it belays your lack of understanding in wireless communication (amplified crap signal, I actually laughed). Pretty sure that even if you witnessed a working installation you would remain unconvinced (not to mention the 2 other posters who reported success with a similar install).

Lets keep the rest of the posts on track. I would appreciate any response from people using similar installs. There is no single solution so I'm interested in hearing other solutions that work.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:16   #19

Re: Internet while Cruising

The AirCard 782S, also known as the Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced

Ethernet and Antenna Charging Cradle

7.5 dBi Marine 4G antenna mounted 23 meters up via low loss cable.

My 4G for the East Coast of Oz set up is made up of the above works well on board and also serves as the wireless hotspot connection for
2 x I-phones
2 x I-pads
1 x Mac book pro
1 x I-Mac as well as the Apple TV.

Without the Antenna connected in my current location the signal strength is 1 to 2 bars on the device mounted at Navigation table, with it connected 5 bars.

It is powered via a 12 volt DC USB adapter so installation is not that complicated other than an aerial run up the mast.

The other handy thing is it is also Battery operated and can slipped into your pocket and carried ashore if required for connection away from the boat.

Only down side is coast of data in Oz currently $165/month for 25 Gig with Big Pond.

Paul
Moor R&R L450
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 13:17   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I appreciate your response but it belays your lack of understanding in wireless communication (amplified crap signal, I actually laughed).
When you head out to remote locations next year.... you won't be laughing. Especially when you begin paying for internet by the GB in foreign countries.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 13:34   #21

Thanks PaulinOz... Wow $165/m! Do they have any cheaper plans with less data? For that kinda money, I would be tempted to just use Macca's for Internet (not sure if they provide free Internet in OZ though).

We have actually changed our home internet over to my system so we can try and gauge our usage. At this point, I'm pretty confident that 2.5 - 3GB/month will be more than we need (we used 1.2GB last month). The key is the proxy server. Its unbelievable how many web pages are poorly written or contain unnecessarily large images (huge in most cases). Unfortunately prices vary wildly around the world for that kind of bandwidth, so trying to budget is difficult.
Old 26-09-2014, 14:39   #22

1GB data $40/Month / 4GB data $50/Month / 8GB data $70/Month / 15GB data $120/Month / 25GB data $165/Month
This is Telstra 4G and is the best provider for out of the way places down here.

I went from Unlimited ADSL2 in a capital city to a beach house out in the sticks, no Internet not even a hard wired phone line available. So I purchased my setup without the aerial, still no luck, so I attached the Hot spot device to a 10 meter pole and hoisted it up in the air and had a signal, so then purchased the marine Aerial mounted it on top of a temporary mast and it worked well, even when the I-phone had no signal in the house we could use data although it was only 3G in that area it still worked well.
It was purchased with the boat in mind just had to sell the beach house to finish funding the boat. (Accomplished and 12 days till we are full time live a boards).

I can adjust the monthly data allowance as I like, once on board full time I anticipate dropping to a lower plan but who knows?

Paul
Moor R&R L450
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 15:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
1GB data $40/Month / 4GB data $50/Month / 8GB data $70/Month / 15GB data $120/Month / 25GB data $165/Month
This is Telstra 4G and is the best provider for out of the way places down here.
Here' it's about $45 for every GB, so the OP's 2.5-3GB per month requirement would cost about the same as the Aus 15GB plan.

And 4G LTE is only available in a very few locations in parts of the two main towns. 3G is available only in limited parts of the best cruising areas:
Coverage Map - Coverage Map.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 16:39   #24

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

I'm currently using a pre-paid Bigpond sim for data $180 for 10Gb for 365 days (now $200 for 12Gb). Can recharge whenever it runs low / out. Will see how it holds up but like the flexibility for now & I'll monitor our useage. This is inOz obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 20:31   #25

Actually. I have to say I'm shocked that PNG has as good of cell access as it does. I didn't expect that.

Old 26-09-2014, 21:53   #26

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Roetter - I originally looked at a Wilson booster (they make good stuff), but we decided our trip is not about staying connected like back on land. We were OK having to sit at the nav computer for communications. This allowed us to forgo the booster as the huawei device has a direct antenna connection. Not to mention eliminating all the propagation issues..

Please report back once you have a permanent install. I would be interested to see if it improves.

I guess I am missing something. All I did was to buy a realatively cheap Wilson cell phone booster, nothing else. Not even an installation cost. I have an iPhone already and use it as my WIFI router. The Wilson connects my iPhone in anchorages that are otherwise unusable.
The Huawei (which I had considered as well) is an extra expense. My iPhone does the same thing at no extra cost. I do not see the value of the Huawei if you already own a GSM smart phone with hotspot (tethering) capability.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 22:06   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Actually. I have to say I'm shocked that PNG has as good of cell access as it does. I didn't expect that.

Yep, Digicel have done a really good job in the few years they have been here. They've opened up the country for communications and drastically reduced the cost of internet by their presence.

It was a different story five years ago
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 22:13   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
I guess I am missing something. All I did was to buy a realatively cheap Wilson cell phone booster, nothing else. Not even an installation cost. I have an iPhone already and use it as my WIFI router. The Wilson connects my iPhone in anchorages that are otherwise unusable.
The Huawei (which I had considered as well) is an extra expense. My iPhone does the same thing at no extra cost. I do not see the value of the Huawei if you already own a GSM smart phone with hotspot (tethering) capability.
Yup.. both solutions accomplish the same thing.. Except the Wilson booster requires a cell phone (plus has antenna propagation issues). Our solution does not require a cell phone as the Hauwei device does it all. We don't need a booster because the same Antenna that you plug into the Wilson, is simply plugged into the Hauwei device. In theory, we will get the exact same reception as a booster doesn't help the incoming signal (the antenna does), it only retransmits that better signal within a small area(the booster might give you better "upload" on your data).

In the end I suspect the total cost of my solution to be a little cheaper (an Iphone is more money than the $100 Hauwei device). Since you already had a "world band" Iphone, it was probably cheaper to go that route, although I'm guessing your Wilson booster is not 4G. All the Wilson 4G boosters I found were over $500.

P.S. A quick description of Antenna propagation... A booster receives a given signal (say 1900Mhz) and retransmits it at lower power. The theory is to use a high gain antenna (usually up high) to increase the received signal, then retransmit that better signal to "dead" areas (down below in the boat). Now, imagine that the receiver picks up the retransmitted signal instead of the tower signal. It would get stuck in a loop, retransmitting its own signal over and over (kind of like mic feedback in audio). This is a very simplified description but gives the gist. This is the #1 reason people think boosters don't work. The "Noise" from their own transmissions kills their benefits. A proper installation (and good equipment) can solve this issue.
Old 26-09-2014, 22:36   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sometimes it's good to be OLD and Simple!! LOL. We are so happy with our old fashion SSB radio! our oldest daughter has a home ham type set up, and we can speak to her and the grand kids at least once a week!! Our son has the use or some great radio equipment on the yacht he's a mate on so we speak to him a lot also! We seldom use the internet when we cruise, as we really seldom are in marinas where there might be some service! But our old ICOM keeps us connected, at least folks know we are alive and kicking!! Works for us !!
Old 26-09-2014, 22:40   #30
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

I've seen lately ads for iridium "go".
Looks interesting to me.
Anyone with experience?

https://iridium.com/products/Iridium...tCategoryID=29
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, internet