Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 20:51   #1

Internet, TV for boats now cheaper, better

I have also listed this in cruising entertainment section as it may apply there too..............

Finally, a flat phased-array dish( not the tall and expensive KVH model you may have seen for sale that tracks inside a tall 18 to 20 inch dome and is a fortune to buy), but a dish and 12 volt small receiver designed for cars, SUV's and RV's and they will also work on boats. Average cost I am seeing is 1800.00

The dish, is actually very flat( like a pancake) and designed to bolt to the roof of a SUV or car. Now also being marketed as a marine or RV compatible setup. Yes, in a car you can go around turns, up hills and down hills and the reception is great. So i figured it might be good for a boat. Not so good when your boat is heeled hard over obviously or the mast is in the way of the southern sky. But on the hook or in the slip or sailing/cruising on-plane or flat( not heeled) the signal should be OK.

It is KVH's latest array. the A5 Here is what one of many salesmen have emailed me...

( in answere to my boat compatability and short comings for marine use)"...To answer your first question, in calm water and/or docked at a slip you should have no trouble with the tilt and awe. The antenna is able to track the signal even when a vehicle is moving up and down inclines. We went as far as doing sharp radius donuts in an empty Walmart paking lot at speeds of 25 MPH and pulling .70 of a G. The signal was still locked on and picture and sound were both crystal clear. We take our demo vehicle to shows and at speeds over 90 MPH the signal stays locked on and crystal clear. Only under 6 lane overpasses do we ever experience short losses of signal but it will lock right back on to the signal because it is a constant tracking antenna just like the big KVH domes. It is also servo driven but the guys at KVH run the power for the servo through the RG6 Coaxial cable, brilliant idea so now there is only one wire that hooks the antenna to the reciever, no extra power cables to run to it. I don't know at which point the motion of open water running it would loose it's tracking, but at the dock or driving slow in calm water you should not have a problem as long is there is nothing above you blocking the signal. You will have to use DirecTV for service but if you have it at your house you can add it to you boat for just $4.99 a month. As for the internet,if you check out www.kvh.com you will see that the A5 is capable of receiving the Internet data but just like all other KVH antennas you will still need the Tracphone 252 or better to be able to receive and send phone and data streams. KVH invented this product for consumer vehicles but I get more buyers from RV and Marine than for personal vehicles. KVH has noticed this and you know see them advertising the A5 for RV and Marine. I guess they catch on quick. I hope this has been helpful,please do not hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions.
Tait@Eliteautosports.com
myblueheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 21:10   #2
Kai Nui

I have been looking at these units at Camp World. It is amazing how much you can save on boat stuff purchased at an RV store. These look like a rugged unit, and I am sure they would work fine at anchor. My issue is the cost. I am a TV addict, but not for $1800.00. I can buy allot of DVD's for that money. Still, it is allot better than $4000.00 for the unit through West Marine.