Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 14:26   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Internet access via WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpl View Post
You need are Router. You have one device what is receiving communication(modem). Now you need device what will allow more devices to talk(router).
While a router would be advantageous for other reasons, it has no bearing on the issues the OP is having right now. There is a good connection between the PC and the Bullet, the Bullet just can't connect to the remote WiFi correctly.
Old 13-01-2019, 14:36   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
My understanding is that the Wave Rogue is essentially the Ubiquiti Bullet with a different (simplified?) operating system. The Bullet and other Ubiquiti devices like the Nanostation use the AirOS operating system which I find no more difficult to use than a typical router menu. So, it is a bit disingenuous to imply that the Wave Rogue would somehow eliminate the problems the OP has. It is the same hardware and the setting requirements are the same. The difference I see is that the Wave Rogue is a turnkey system with Bullet, antenna, cable, etc, whereas the Ubiquiti Bullet system requires you to source those parts separately. Not that difficult, and considerably less expensive.
While the Rogue Wave is similar, it is not the same hardware as the Bullet (verifyable by reviewing the detailed FCC licensing docs for Alfa, Ubiquiti, and Wave WiFi) and there are 5 different Rogue hardware models with different specs. That said, aside from more power (compared with Bullet, Alfa, etc), the hardware makes little difference to the user, where the software/UI is the biggest difference, along with any kit contents like mounts, wiring, antennas, etc that may or may not add additional value.

In any case, it's true that swapping out a Bullet for a Wave WiFi extender would likely not solve this problem (unless the problem was that the remote wifi network used WEP encryption, which this one does not). I was just responding to the other user who expressed concern about complexity, which is a problem the Wave products DO solve. They are very easy. When you connect to the GUI from your web browser you literally click one button, type a password (if necessary) and click again. Done. No reboots, no switching tabs, screens, etc. And if you leave and come back, it reconnects.. Yes, the Bullet will reconnect to the WiFi network it was last connected to, but the Wave reconnects to ANY WiFi networks you have connected to and favorited.. Move between 3 marinas, it connects automatically each time you arrive at any of them. There are other things, but there is value for those that favor simplicity/usability over least cost, in addition to Wave having very good technical support.

I took a look at your document, and it's well done. I'm confused a bit by references to both Bullet and Nanostation since those are different devices but all in all a nice write up for a fairly simple solution. I'm glad it works for you, and as I said I don't mean to say that a Ubiquiti product doesn't work, just that there are other products that may be more suited for a lot of people.

One caveat I would point out, the Netgear router is a great solution.. But it's designed for US Cellular networks, so those looking to travel outside of the US may need to look at different options.
Old 13-01-2019, 14:37   #33

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Quote:
I have a bullet set up on my boat essentially as you describe, except that it is connected to a router, and I log into the router with my laptop.
I have a write-up that you can download on my website describing my system and the Bullet settings:

Terrapinsailing.com | Commuter cruising on a PDQ 32 catamaran

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. I read through your "Configuring a boat WiFi and cellular network"

I found this "Beginner’s SETUP GUIDE for NANOSTATION-M2" a few weeks ago, followed it to the letter (rechecked it a few times) but could not get it to work eg Connect to AP's: Yes, But any website behind it:No go

That's why I am on this forum asking questions

Maybe, just maybe the antenna for the bullet is wrong as it is a standard WIFi
2.4GHz N-connector, all round short whip(similar shape to a portable Vhf radio antenna)
BUT it receives very well, many AP's more than my laptop receives.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 14:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Thank you for your reply. I read through your "Configuring a boat WiFi and cellular network"

I found this "Beginner’s SETUP GUIDE for NANOSTATION-M2" a few weeks ago, followed it to the letter (rechecked it a few times) but could not get it to work eg Connect to AP's: Yes, But any website behind it:No go

That's why I am on this forum asking questions

Maybe, just maybe the antenna for the bullet is wrong as it is a standard WIFi
2.4GHz N-connector, all round short whip(similar shape to a portable Vhf radio antenna)
BUT it receives very well, many AP's more than my laptop receives.
I was just about to ask you about the antenna.. The stats show you aren't receiving data from the remote access point once you connect. There is a physical/radio problem with the connection, not a network problem.

Do you have a part#, model, or any specs for the antenna itself?
Old 13-01-2019, 14:58   #35

If I doesn't receive data, how than does it connect or find lots of AP's?

The antenna is similar to

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-9dBi...vo:rk:126:pf:0

Connected with a straight adapter to N connection, ALL mounted approx 12' above sea level
Old 13-01-2019, 15:02   #36

I also made a directional antenna using a piece of 1 sided PCB and a bi-quad 1.2mm Cu wire . It works perfectly BUT again no websites to be seen.
Maybe not the antenna than??
Old 13-01-2019, 15:05   #37
Marine Service Provider

Didn't get any photo or link to your antenna..

While the antenna sounds suspect, it may not be the issue, but the fact is you are not getting any data from the remote wifi to your bullet once you associate with the AP. This could be antenna related, it could be something else entirely.

Can you put your cell phone into hotspot mode and try to connect the bullet to your cell phone's WiFi network?
Old 13-01-2019, 15:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Didn't get any photo or link to your antenna..

While the antenna sounds suspect, it may not be the issue, but the fact is you are not getting any data from the remote wifi to your bullet once you associate with the AP. This could be antenna related, it could be something else entirely.

Can you put your cell phone into hotspot mode and try to connect the bullet to your cell phone's WiFi network?
I have a wifi router o/b which currently has internet access via a lead to shore
(The laptops connect via wifi to the router)
The bullet picks up the router and when connected - signal -50
BUT no password or logon is available. The same problem as with shore AP's
So trying my cell phone as you ask--> results will be the same
Old 13-01-2019, 15:31   #39

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
I have a wifi router o/b which currently has internet access via a lead to shore
(The laptops connect via wifi to the router)
The bullet picks up the router and when connected - signal -50
BUT no password or logon is available. The same problem as with shore AP's
So trying my cell phone as you ask--> results will be the same

Connecting to your router should be more straightforward. Once you select your router SSID on the Bullet connect page, there will be a box toward the bottom where you enter the password, it wont give you a separate log-in page. This is where you would enter the password for your router. Thus, for most access points with WPA encryption, e.g. requiring a password, you would enter the password in the Bullet page where you log in to that particular SSID. It is only with those sites with no security that you can log in with the Bullet and then subsequently get a separate log in page in your browser asking for additional information.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 15:38   #40

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:

I took a look at your document, and it's well done. I'm confused a bit by references to both Bullet and Nanostation since those are different devices but all in all a nice write up for a fairly simple solution. I'm glad it works for you, and as I said I don't mean to say that a Ubiquiti product doesn't work, just that there are other products that may be more suited for a lot of people.

One caveat I would point out, the Netgear router is a great solution.. But it's designed for US Cellular networks, so those looking to travel outside of the US may need to look at different options.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the Wave Rogue looks like it has some nice UI additions over the AirOS interface. The Bullet and Nanostation both use the same interface, AirOS, thus the use of either name.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 16:01   #41

Quote:
Connecting to your router should be more straightforward. Once you select your router SSID on the Bullet connect page, there will be a box toward the bottom where you enter the password,.
I don't get any boxes for PW and logon on any page.
All that is showing on the bottom of Wireless page, is a multiple a choice box for security
On MAIN page , the AP MAC : shows "Not associated" + zero Signal strength at times and alternates with a signal strength -50 , also shows the MAC address.But most of the time it shows :Not Associated
The LAN0 graph shows Rx & Tx jagged lines
The WLAN0 graph has disappeared from view
Old 13-01-2019, 16:03   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I don't get any boxes for PW and logon on any page.
All that is showing on the bottom of Wireless page, is a multiple a choice box for security
On MAIN page , the AP MAC : shows "Not associated" + zero Signal strength at times and alternates with a signal strength -50 , also shows the MAC address.But most of the time it shows :Not Associated
The LAN0 graph shows Rx & Tx jagged lines
The WLAN0 graph has disappeared from view
If you are connecting to a network that requires a password (like the onboard wifi router likely has), then change that security dropdown box to select WPA or WPA2 or whatever the network has, and type the password there before you save/apply.
Old 13-01-2019, 16:08   #43

The router has wpa2-aes BUT there is NO box for PW to be seen. I cannot type anything into a multiple choice box
Old 13-01-2019, 16:10   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
The router has wpa2-aes BUT there is NO box for PW to be seen. I cannot type anything into a multiple choice box
First select the encryption type in the drop down, then you should get additional boxes.
Old 13-01-2019, 16:17   #45

Quote:
First select the encryption type in the drop down, then you should get additional boxes.
I have already done this with many locked AP's and again just now twice with the router No PW / logon boxes
I don't even remember the things I tried over tla last couple of weeks
There is Just NO extra boxes appearing.
Maybe I should invest is a magic wand?

Tags
internet, wifi