Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2021, 13:39   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Intermittent AIS Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
Which begs the question, "What is the best way to seal the connector to cable junction at the antenna?" Clearly adhesive-lined shrink tubing only filled it up with water.

I think it will depend on the design of the antenna. I use a GME design that has been very well thought out to prevent water intrusion from above, even without tape. I simply add self amalgamating tape to keep atmospheric salt out of the connection.

If your new antenna is similar then I’d say the tape is the way to go, if not, some kind of synthetic sleeve with a drain hole at the bottom would be the way to go.
Old 23-01-2021, 07:54   #32

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
Which begs the question, "What is the best way to seal the connector to cable junction at the antenna?" Clearly adhesive-lined shrink tubing only filled it up with water.
Based on the photographs of the antenna, the water probably entered from the antenna whip and made its way into the interior of the base.

For a UHF connector, I have used Scotch 35 Super Vinyl Electrical Tape.

A product sold under the name Coax-Seal is also popular.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I think [the best way to seal the antenna connector] will depend on the design of the antenna. I use a GME design...
I am not familiar with the term GME as a type of antenna. Please give more details.

Or, perhaps you refer to the connector, which might be an FME, and "GME" was a typo.
Old 23-01-2021, 12:41   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I am not familiar with the term GME as a type of antenna. Please give more details.

Or, perhaps you refer to the connector, which might be an FME, and "GME" was a typo.

Ummm.... GME is a brand. I thought it was a pretty common brand at that too.... but it looks like it might be an Australian brand. Gotta say, that’s pretty unusual these days, most of this stuff seems international.

Anyway, to be more be precise, I am using a GME AE31.

https://www.gme.net.au/au/antennas/ae31/

I am sure there are many other similarly constructed antennas. But I really liked how they solved the problem of water intrusion with this model.
Old 28-01-2021, 06:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
...I am using a GME AE31.

https://www.gme.net.au/au/antennas/ae31/

...I really liked how they solved the problem of water intrusion with this model.
Thanks for the clarification that the term GME is a trademark or branding of a product sold in Australia. I was completely unaware of that brand. I do not believe it has any market presence in the USA.

To learn more about the antenna, I followed the link given above. The product illustration showing the antenna was a very small image that revealed nothing in particular about a solution to water intrusion.

Regarding water intrusion into antennas that employ a metal whip: I used a GAM SS-2 antenna for more than ten years. Later I had occasion to disassemble the antenna base to examine its insides. I found no sign of water intrusion into the antenna base nor any sign of corrosion in the UHF-series jack connector at the base.

On that basis, I do not think that the GME antenna holds a unique position regarding how it prevents water from contaminating its internal components or its external UHF-series jack connector.

Tags
ais, transmission