Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:26   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Instruments will need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayamore View Post
If I use the puck gps with the capn program can I run that on my HP computer or is the panasonic toughbook better. There are some used ones on ebay that I could get to only use for that purpose
Either one will work, no problem. The toughbook would stand up better to everyday use on the boat though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51   #17

Boat: Freedom 39 pilothouse

I was going to post a similar question when I saw this thread. I’d like to add a slight twist.
What would be the best order to build out a complete and integrated system? Assuming budgetary constraints, some items will be added over the next few seasons, and the goal is to be able to integrate as much as possible and not have to swap out already purchased items as time allows for the additions.
I too had sailed a Hunter 22 with no electronics and now am moving up to a Freedom 39. This new boat will eventually see blue water, but for the first season or so we plan to keep to the Hudson River and LI Sound. The original owner had her totally decked out with all the latest electronics back in the 80s, but all was stripped out by the time I bought her. The only thing only thing present was a depth transponder, speed paddle, and the autopilot wheel drive and gyro compass. As far as navigation, the pedestal mounted compass is still there. Some of the guys at the local boatyard had me going down the path of ‘needing’ everything, but then I ran into a couple who circumnavigated three times with no electronics. So it is more of a working wish-list now.

I have purchased a Standard Horizon CPF300 since it had the largest screen I could afford. This way I have a GPS, chartplotter, and depth, speed, and water temp with the transponder/sensors. Also, I have a handheld Standard horizon VHF radio from the old boat. I should be adding wind speed/direction sensors and VHF antenna while the masts are down. I was looking at the SimRad radar, but not sure how it will integrate with the SH CPF300 since they suggest Si-Tex. Also looking at the Raymarine XP-5 wheel pilot. A mounted two-way radio plus an entertainment system are on the list as well as an AIS (maybe VHF with AIS receiver that integrates with the GPS).
Maybe I should have started with Raymarine due to integration. I know that redundancy is a plus, but too much may ding the budget.
Any thoughts on a good progression and integration gotchas would be greatly appreciated.
OldRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03   #18

These days all you need is a depth sounder and GPS/plotter. Much simpler than a bunch of instruments.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well I still carry a Lead Line with a wax bottom, its gotten me Close in the thick fog when the depth finder and all the other stuff was dead due to a close lighting strike !! Remember the Old Simple stuff still works RDF for instance, heck even a batt operated radio can point you in the right direction!! learn to use your mind and use your eyes and ears and its amaizing what you can do !! simple is Sometimes better !!a compass and a paper chart will get ya there everytime !! just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:52   #20

Yeah, I used a cheap radio as an RDF crossing the Sea of Cortez in the mid 80's when the Sat-Nav didnt work..... well.... actually it never worked! It's a amazing, you really can get from San diego to Cabo by dead reckoning....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote