Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 15:49   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Instruments, start from scratch?

Hi all,

I have an old Raymarine ST60+ instrument system on the boat. Wind speed and direction, depth and a compass. To be honest, I don't use the compass display at all, preferring the old analogue variety on the steering pedestal or the digital display on the old Coursemaster which is bigger and easier to read.

Anyway, the masthead transducer for the wind instrument has finally gone toes up. The wind data display unit was already flaky, needing to be factory reset every couple of weeks, so, on balance, I'd say "it's a sign".

Start again.

BUT, I do have a C120 chart plotter which I am pretty fond of, and, touch wood, it still works ok. It talks to my Matsutec AIS system using a NMEA connection too, so I'd really like to keep that bit going if I can.

So, with that in mind, does anyone have a recommendation of an instrument package that won't break the bank and that they have been happy with.

I just need wind, depth and speed really, with SeaTalk to integrate the old plotter if I can. (That integration is optional, as the plotter could continue to function without the input of speed and depth)/

I see Raymarine do a wireless system, and a few have asked about it on CF but I cannot find any specific responses to their questions.

Matt
Old 06-11-2018, 16:06   #2

Re: Instruments, start from scratch?

Edit:

Scrub this.

Just had a fascinating conversation with Raymarine Australia. They have totally convinced me to stay away from the wireless for my size of boat, and convinced me of the economics of just replacing the transducer. They pointed out the new transducer will be compatible with the newer i series instruments, which will also fit in the existing holes for the existing ST series, plus there's a CHANCE the problems I have been having with the need to factory reset the display are related to the failing transducer.

But I was most interested in their point that 45 feet is considered the absolute maximum for the wireless system, so at 42 feet the system would be stretched.

Full points to them for honesty.

Matt
Old 06-11-2018, 16:08   #3

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I have an old Raymarine ST60+ instrument system on the boat. Wind speed and direction, depth and a compass. To be honest, I don't use the compass display at all, preferring the old analogue variety on the steering pedestal or the digital display on the old Coursemaster which is bigger and easier to read.

Anyway, the masthead transducer for the wind instrument has finally gone toes up. The wind data display unit was already flaky, needing to be factory reset every couple of weeks, so, on balance, I'd say "it's a sign".

Start again.

BUT, I do have a C120 chart plotter which I am pretty fond of, and, touch wood, it still works ok. It talks to my Matsutec AIS system using a NMEA connection too, so I'd really like to keep that bit going if I can.

So, with that in mind, does anyone have a recommendation of an instrument package that won't break the bank and that they have been happy with.

I just need wind, depth and speed really, with SeaTalk to integrate the old plotter if I can. (That integration is optional, as the plotter could continue to function without the input of speed and depth)/

I see Raymarine do a wireless system, and a few have asked about it on CF but I cannot find any specific responses to their questions.

Matt
I had a set of ST50 (even older than yours!) instruments, connected to an old Garmin plotter. I replaced wind and depth with NASA instruments, which I connected to the Tridata through a NMEA 183 multiplexer. Not really an elegant solution, but it works.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 17:58   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Just replaced my ST60+ wind transducer, I believe it was $379 US. I hate Raymarine user manuals, calibrating the dam thing was a PITA that had me steaming slowly in a circle such that the harbor patrol came to check I wasn't in distress.
I don't love my instruments but they work and new ones don't necessarily work any better. I do have a Garmin chart plotter because I REALLY don't love RM plotters.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 18:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Just replaced my ST60+ wind transducer, I believe it was $379 US. I hate Raymarine user manuals, calibrating the dam thing was a PITA that had me steaming slowly in a circle such that the harbor patrol came to check I wasn't in distress.
I don't love my instruments but they work and new ones don't necessarily work any better.

Ha ha! Yep, been there, done those circles.

As for the remark about the new ones not working any better... funnily enough that seemed to be the message from Raymaribe themselves. [emoji6]
Old 06-11-2018, 18:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadago View Post

... Not really an elegant solution, but it works.

Sounds like a description of my life at the moment.

Still, good move getting it all talking. I was pretty chuffed to get the C120 working with the AIS data from the Matsutec. Didn’t want to push my luck any further though.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:31   #7

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

I find this actually funny as I have had no problems with my ST60+ instruments and am thinking as I upgrade my electronic systems to get a new chartplotter, digital radar, and a second depth transducer so I have depth on both starboard and port hulls, but to leave my ST60+ instruments. Any reason not to?

As to the wind transducer, they sit on top of the mast and take a lot of abuse - wind, rain, birds, hawks, electrical storms, etc. The electronics do go bad. I keep TWO of them and have Raymarine rebuild when one goes bad so I always have a spare. I think they charge me about $200 for a rebuild.

Jason
Breathe
Manta 40
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I find this actually funny as I have had no problems with my ST60+ instruments and am thinking as I upgrade my electronic systems to get a new chartplotter, digital radar, and a second depth transducer so I have depth on both starboard and port hulls, but to leave my ST60+ instruments. Any reason not to?

As to the wind transducer, they sit on top of the mast and take a lot of abuse - wind, rain, birds, hawks, electrical storms, etc. The electronics do go bad. I keep TWO of them and have Raymarine rebuild when one goes bad so I always have a spare. I think they charge me about $200 for a rebuild.

Jason
Breathe
Manta 40
We do the same. ST60 instruments separate from the C80 under the spray hood and a Garmin chartplotter at the wheel with AIS, again separate from the RM instruments.

I need to go up the mast and clean the contacts between the long metal arm bit and the socket it connects to but other wise the ST60s continue to work well. We have a spare wind arm which I plan to rebuild after hitting a tree with the mast head.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:20   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

I'd suggest moving toward NMEA2000 equipment.

Two Multifunction Instrument Displays can often replace four or more single instrument displays.

N2K also simplifies and cleans up wiring.
Old 07-11-2018, 19:43   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Going to single MFD sounds really good, except--at least to me--with separate instruments and their displays, you can lose only one at a time, except in lightning strikes, of course. But if the MFD has a major glitch you lose all of it at once.

I'm fairly dependent on our wind guage. So much so, that I put yarn on the stays, for a visual indicator when it went down. I go back and forth between our knotmeter and the SOG on our AIS, a lot, to determine how much current we have with or against us. I would not want to lose all the instrumentation and the radar, either. Maybe it's only me, I certainly see a lot of MFD's around.

I should add that I liked the old cathode ray radar displays, and knobs for adjusting functions together, two hands working, till the picture comes really clear, over menus.

Menus means you need to take notes and remember settings, and procedures. ....Guess I'm educationally handicapped.

Ann
Old 07-11-2018, 19:55   #11

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

With the Multifunction...if you have two (as I stated) and one dies you still have EVERYTHING on the one that survived.

I tell people "If one is enough for you in the cockpit, get a second for the nav station. If the one outside dies you can move the one that has been living peacefully inside(and out of the weather) to the cockpit."
Old 08-11-2018, 02:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I'd suggest moving toward NMEA2000 equipment.

Two Multifunction Instrument Displays can often replace four or more single instrument displays.

N2K also simplifies and cleans up wiring.
If I was made of $$$ I'd look into the option.

Alas, I am not.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:11   #13

Boat: S2 35C

The C120 can integrate with lots of older and newer stuff. Google "Raymarine C120 Chartplotter Integration"
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpond49 View Post
The C120 can integrate with lots of older and newer stuff. Google "Raymarine C120 Chartplotter Integration"

Yes, it’s pretty good. I’ve got it talking to the AIS unit, however that has used up the only NMEA port. Any more integration and I’d need some kind of multiplexor.

That’s something to be said for the seatalk bus, it’s self multiplexing.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:32   #15

Boat: S2 35C

SeaTalk is self multiplexing if you use the right connectors:
Seatalk 1to SeaTalk1 - D244
SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk NG converter bus - E22158
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum