Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 05:58   #1

Boat: Brewer 12.8
Installing/ Connecting Raymarine Axiom to RM ST4000+ and RM 60i

Have a RM st4000+ A/P and wanted a wind instrument to allow tracking mode so got a RM 60i only to find out that an ng backbone was required to power it. Standard Horizon CP then went out so just bought a RM Axiom 7 CP/MFD.
The st4000+ Is not super robust so one day we will upgrade to a quadrant pusher (RM ev series perhaps? Or better?) but for right now just trying to hook up the new Axiom. The power is separate and I can just connect to the old CP’s power wires so that is easy.
1. Do the communication wires go direct from the Axiom to the A/P or (with the adapter cable we already have) to the 5-post backbone where the 60i is already plugged in (and gets its power from)?
2. Even if it could go direct, With a future A/P, will i wish I had everything connected through the backbone for ease of installing that (especially if a RM device)?
Any help in understanding this greatly appreciated, although we’ll also gladly welcome a straight “do it like this” answer!
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:37   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Installing/ Connecting Raymarine Axiom to RM ST4000+ and RM 60i

The Axiom and the 60i are Seatalk NG devices. Aside from power, they connect via 5-wire Seatalk NG cables, often through the five-piece thingy. There are multiple flavors of the five piece thingy, the one that you need is called a Seatalk-to-Seatalk NG converter, that has the yellow middle terminal. Assuming you have that, you need to connect the Axiom to one of the white terminals, the 60i to the other white terminal, put in the blue termination plugs at the end. Next you need to plug a blank cable into the middle yellow terminal, cut the other end and do the following connections: red to power (+12V), black to ground and yellow and black to the Seatalk connection at the back of the ST4000+. You do not need to connect Seatalk red from the ST4000+ to power.

Later, when you upgrade your autopilot, you will do away with the Seatalk network and will connect the Evolution pilot directly to the Seatalk NG network. With all signal networks, Seatalk, Seatalk NG, Setalk HS, (Ethernet, that you can use later for radar), nmea, you can splice the cables at will. The connectors are there only for convenience and water protection. The only cables that you should not splice are sonar and analog radar.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:17   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Installing/ Connecting Raymarine Axiom to RM ST4000+ and RM 60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The Axiom and the 60i are Seatalk NG devices. Aside from power, they connect via 5-wire Seatalk NG cables, often through the five-piece thingy. There are multiple flavors of the five piece thingy, the one that you need is called a Seatalk-to-Seatalk NG converter, that has the yellow middle terminal. Assuming you have that, you need to connect the Axiom to one of the white terminals, the 60i to the other white terminal, put in the blue termination plugs at the end. Next you need to plug a blank cable into the middle yellow terminal, cut the other end and do the following connections: red to power (+12V), black to ground and yellow and black to the Seatalk connection at the back of the ST4000+. You do not need to connect Seatalk red from the ST4000+ to power.

Later, when you upgrade your autopilot, you will do away with the Seatalk network and will connect the Evolution pilot directly to the Seatalk NG network. With all signal networks, Seatalk, Seatalk NG, Setalk HS, (Ethernet, that you can use later for radar), nmea, you can splice the cables at will. The connectors are there only for convenience and water protection. The only cables that you should not splice are sonar and analog radar.

I presume you mean this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667326588.162782.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	266596

This of course is an active electronic interface between Seatalk and Seatalkng protocols, hence it’s a protocol converter not a cable “
Adapter “

Only support one Seatalk1 interface but that’s all you need.

This will support your I60 Axiom and st4000 without further Seatalk ng T pieces.

Tags
marine, raymarine