Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2019, 20:56   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
Inmarsat-C Recommendations

I just acquired a used sat-c setup. I’ll be installing the unit next month.

I acquired the unit primarily for receiving Safetynet messages whilst crossing oceans, the ability to call upon medical advice if necessary and having the ability to send out GMDSS distress messages.

I understand that the above services are free of charge from Inmarsat. However, I see that I need to sign up with a third party Accounting Authority (AA). My google searches have found that most of the AA websites are aimed at commercial shipping and do not reveal any prices.

My questions are:

1) How do I acquire the unique IMN code starting with a 4? Does the AA do this on my behalf?
2) Which AAs are recommended which do not charge an annual fee? I expect there to be a one off activation fee. Which ones are cruiser friendly?
3) If I use the unit for backup email, which AA offers the best prepaid rates?

The vessel is UK flagged.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate details of any first hand experiences.

Neziak
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 20:05   #2

Boat: Oyster 49
Re: Inmarsat-C Recommendations

To update on this, I found that AA were not very responsive. I suspect that they are used to dealing with shipping companies with a fleet of activations. I heard back from two and pricing is very opaque and varies enormously.

In the end, I went through Gavin Painter at It-at-sea. He assisted in setting up an account though AST and the annual fee for the provision of email services is US$100. Then its a pay per 256bit thereafter. Recieving of Safetynet messages is free.
Neziak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men