Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 01:47   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO50DS
iMac connectivity/installation

Hi,

I've just joined the forum as part of doing some research whilst we prepare our plans for an extended sailing period in the Med. We are just beginning our search for our own yacht, although we have chartered many times in the Med.

I would like to take my iMac with me to be able to do some work and stay connected with the electronic world, along with using it for music/TV/vids, etc. Ideally I'd also like to interface with the navigation system at least as a large screen repeat display.

Has anyone got an iMac in use connected to their nav systems via bluetooth, hard wired or wifi?
Anyone got any good info on an off the shelf or bespoke mounting for swivel style mount (rotate to face nav or face saloon)?

Thanks for reading
Stoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 01:59   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: iMac connectivity/installation

Hi Stoney,
If you have Raymarine don't bother making enquiries with their tech department regarding this. They just flat out ignore you. I have Raymarine gear that can interface with Apple IPad but when I put the question to them regarding my Imac they just refuse to answer. I cant figure it out, I just wanted a yes no answer and if yes how would I go about it. Cant figure out Raymarine reluctance to answer.
From my own research to date if you have Navionics and Raymarine and an IMac then its not compatible. Genius's at local Apple store agree. Suggested I buy a new IPad to get around issue. No thanks.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:50   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO50DS
Re: iMac connectivity/installation

Thanks Greg,

I use the Navionics Boating HD on my iPad as a back up, which works pretty good.

It'll be a big shame if I can't get the iMac to talk/display the chart plotter info. I'd really like to install the iMac rather than a TV, so it can multi function.

best regards

Rob
Stoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation